I don't know exactly what's changing, I was just informed that changes were forthcoming and that I probably wouldn't like them.

I swear if it's been gimped with fixed arcs I'm going to actively boycott Firestorm Armada in every gaming store I frequent.

You'd actively boycott FSA is the Plumbata was given fixed arcs?

I can think of much better ways to spend your time and energy over the matter of a corvette in a spaceship game.

I'm all for dramatics when suitably entertaining, but this is a little much.

Why not wait for the rules before the tearful posts of despair and agonizing pain of adapting to change.

I picture him like a protester with a large sign, pacing endlessly back and forth chanting strange rhymes.

Like "Fixed Fore, Play No More!" or "Gimped its gun, killed my fun!"?

Maybe they will change it to something ridiculous, c'mon Fixed Aft Scatter Torpedoes!

Like "Fixed Fore, Play No More!" or "Gimped its gun, killed my fun!"?

Maybe they will change it to something ridiculous, c'mon Fixed Aft Scatter Torpedoes!

This just proves there are people on this board far more clever than I am.

Genuinely got a laugh out of me on both counts.

Nah, active boycott sounds to me like whining at people in whatever brick and mortar store you go into and dissuading people from buying a great game. At least if people on the semi-tamed wasteland of /tg/ are to be believed. and if that's the case I'd say TwoToneWyvren  got it right on the time and energy thing.

I don't think you can actively boycott by not buying the game...

The picture of CJ with a a ten gallon hat (the Texas thing) and a protest sign saying "Down with Spartan!" "Power to the Plumbata!" is quite rather fun right now.

With all the tragedy in the world lately if the Chironex gets some very clever re-balancing done by some godlike power in Spartan to make it more appropriate for it's points then I will personally....erm...

be ok with that?

Zak 

So he doesn't even know what the changes are, and he's having a meltdown?

I wish people wouldn't even quote his nonsense, then I accidentally see it.

That was awesome Spellduckwrong.

I'm glad I could help combat irrational negativity with giggling. :)

I don't know exactly what's changing, I was just informed that changes were forthcoming and that I probably wouldn't like them.

I swear if it's been gimped with fixed arcs I'm going to actively boycott Firestorm Armada in every gaming store I frequent.

Does this also mean you will not be haunting the forums also?

On a serious note, I'd welcome to a change to the Plumbata.  As it stands, there's fairly little reason to take the Reaper, short of large games where its more sensible to bring a few 125pts squads instead of cheap Scouting corvettes.

And if the Falx got a buff, I'd be doubly happy.

I said it before and I'll say it again; Spartan will be making changes to the game and listening to feedback.  Not every change will be gold, but given enough time, it will find it ways pretty close to the sweetspot.  I'd rather have attempts at fixing the issues than letting the game get stale.

A free, living rule book is better than the alternative.  I think we all know a game like that, and people aren't exactly pleased with the direction its going in.

The fleet guides are "living" for a reason: they'll always be subject to change.

I like to think of it as similar to computer game patches (especially for RTS games) that change various things. Imagine if units in Starcraft or Age of Empires had only their release stats for the life of those games; they'd go stale pretty quickly and things that needed fixing would always be broken. Tabletop games are no different in that you're still dealing with numbers and labels assigned to game pieces.

Anyway, this entire thread started because of rumours, which are never a good thing to get wound up about. :)

I'm just pissed because I designed the Plumbata, I thought it went well with the Scythe in V1.5.  Back then it was a 25 point ship, while It lost RB3 guns on the P/S it had the extra 2" of  speed and Scout MAR, a fair trade vs the 20 point Scythe I thought.  You pay extra for the Scout ability which is nice given Sorylian squadron groupings (more ships per squad means less squadrons putting you at a placement disadvantage along with the low FTB), but high enough that you wouldn't want to take nothing but Plumbatas over Scythes which has better gun range for a lesser price.  OK fine, no one called OP on it.

Come along to V2 the Plumbata gets an arbitrary price drop to 20 points and loses it's single RB 3 AD on it's fore arc guns. Nothing major the Scythe/Reaper took a hit in that department too losing it's RAB 3 P/S guns but it would up getting stuck with a Fixed Fore arc, which drastically reduces it's multi-ship/squad-splitting hitting power, and the extra 5 point cost of Pack Hunters may or may not make up the difference.  Now there's a trend to want to take Plumbata's over Scythe/Reapers!  Because for the same price you don't loose squad-splitting ability, have basically the same attack dice at RB2 and still get Scout to boot!  (Comments about how it's too good for it's price, I did have it more expensive before, you changed that not me)

What's torquing me off is that Spartan with suggestions from the Beta Team CREATED this problem in v2 with their recommendations/changes and instead of simply changing it back to what worked, their "fix" for it is gimp it statwise even further!?! 

Of course I'm going to be pissed over this!  I was a good thing until you fracked with it!  I know I gave up rights to it in the ship creation contest, but you're still fracking with my baby, or course I'm gonna be a little upset.

You've always struck me as living this game in the past.  I skipped 1.5, but played when 1.0 was still new and I can't think of something that didn't change for the better in this game going off that frame of reference.

Using V2.0 as a reference, the Plumbata and Reaper have far too much in common for the Reaper to be a strong choice when the Plumbata does the same amount of damage, with faster speed and the useful Scout MAR.  The Reaper can do a little more damage for 25pts, but also has that fore fixed arc to deal with.

Making the Plumbata a touch less damaging (or whatever the tweak actually is, we really ought to wait until we see what the changes are) would make both options viable; one being the cheaper, utility boat, while the other is the more mainline combatant small.

I think that's a good decision for the game.  And its not like either of the Sorylian smalls are weak compared to other smalls.  Quite the opposite in fact.

I get that maybe this is a little more personal for you, even then, hardly something to be that worked up about, especially given that we don't even know the details of the changes.

But really, what's the worse case?  A single ship that was overperforming becomes a little underperforming in a game largely in a good state of balance?

I think things like this is one good reason not to boycott spartan, CJ, among others had a chance to design a ship that SG created a miniature for, and keep viable in a new edition. If other game companies showed even half that amount of dedication I may never have bought FSA...

I don't ready with learning the actual stats of my ships... and now new stats? I'm getting old, i can not learn so mutch anymore :P

P.S. i don't think the Razorthorn need to be changed. ;)

I have a question for the beta test crew. With the new adjustments to some of the Sorylian ships do you think they'll be able to now compete evenly with the other races?

I have a question for the beta test crew. With the new adjustments to some of the Sorylian ships do you think they'll be able to now compete evenly with the other races?

Hum... Ive yet to play against the Flaccid since the revamp so I can't say for certain, but if that was someone's problem before it looks better now.

That's a really good and hard question to answer...

See - this freaks me out and I genuinely don't mean this as an insult to anyone in the community (I find it sad that I have to say that) but...

I've never lost a playtest game with the Sorylains :wacko: ?  So I have no idea why their current record is as bad as it is. At least one of the games wasn't even close and it wasn't luck - I rolled slightly below average...

So I have no good answer for you in that I've had decent success using them to compete with the big six as it stands already.

But we use liberal amounts of terrain (as per the rules) and I make constant use of the movement tactical card, gravity slingshots, and the +2 initiative card and for the big boarding turn their boarding card. I'm also a fan of their carrier paired with twin bombards (which I don't see many people using) as it's a good long range thread that has great medium ranged firepower.

I do, however, believe that the Falx symbol got a good boost in general abilities without some of the...rather questionable requests that were made for it (at least in my experience). So I think it should be a much more tempting choice.

But I don't know how to predict overall how they'll do since I've had good luck with them in games already.

I do, sincerely, hope that the basic changes to the BB will make people who are relying on this ship happy and will help their overall score. I want to see them do better in the log as they're the only sore thumb sticking out right now!

Zak