FSAFTW

2.0 FSA Carrier

Wow. Just wow, to all the new models coming out. The new carrier for us FSA looks fantastic. Just judging by the pic in kaptyn_Krys' post in the general discussion, looks like there is a spot on the back for a possible three drop ons. Rockets, Kinetic gen, and shield gen. Also looks to have a front turret, like on the Princeton, and some broadsides modeled on it as well! I have a Saratoga and while it is cheap and brings plenty of air support, its nice to have a more aggressive option out there.

I agree that the new carrier looks really good. But I'm one of the people who really loved the Saratoga, to the point where I really was always disappointed when using the Savannah because I really didn't think it was worth the 35 point premium for the same aircraft complement as the Saratoga.

I loved the Saratoga was a cheap and no frills carrier that helped me get aerial superiority (at the cost of taking the powerful gunnery focused ships). I loved having two carriers, as it was virtually the only other way to significantly change the FSA tactics.

I really hope they make this new carrier a good assault carrier to support the line and lend some power to a carrier fleet while keeping the Saratoga a cheap, minimally armed fleet carrier.

The new carrier really looks to be more of an "Assault Carrier", with a big honking gun at the front and the rocket/generator spot at the back. I doubt it'll have anything fancy with regards to its carrier capacity.

I'd be willing to bet that the Saratoga with its size and two decks without big guns will be the one more focused on its aircraft capacity.

The new carrier really looks to be more of an "Assault Carrier", with a big honking gun at the front and the rocket/generator spot at the back. I doubt it'll have anything fancy with regards to its carrier capacity.

I'd be willing to bet that the Saratoga with its size and two decks without big guns will be the one more focused on its aircraft capacity.

If I were a betting man I'd put money on the Saratoga picking up some more TFT complement and losing some gunnery stats with this new carrier gaining extra gunnery and support at the loss of some TFT sqn size

And does the Saratoga really need guns, if it is going to be a fleet carrier in the back of the fleet, some AA and a small broadside maybe - and the new Assault carrier so send in to the heat of the battle

If the Saratoga gets more TFTs then I might have to get onr. At this point I cant justify the points for basically a recon flight and 1 Squadron, and very little firepower. Lowering the points would be nice too.

I personally love fielding the Saratoga. For 105 pts its a bargain. I either use 2 squads of 3 fighters for CAP or trying to screen my torpedo bombers and cut down on their opposition or as a more offensive squad of 5 TFTs and just save the 6th as a replenishment wing for a squadron.

I personally have never been able to feel like I've gotten a good use out of the Savannah though. In my experiences it's just performed the same job as a Saratoga for substantially more points.

IME when holding it back as a rear line carrier I lament the wasted 35 points. When trying to bring it forwards it gets much to exposed in order to use the broadside and is to fragile without any defensive abilities.

That said, I personally think the Saratoga SHOULD have some weaponry, but mainly to support its role as backline support. Rather than having powerful broadsides I think the model should be focused on defending against frigate squadrons that work their way past the front line. I think that working the side guns indepently would be interesting. If they each had 6 AD in RB 1 and 90 degree arcs then they would have a decent chance against two frigates on each side, while still having a decent area available for linked fire attacks with similar AD as currently available for individual cruisers that make their way to the model.

Now 4 independent guns on the Saratoga for hitting the odd small that get though the line I can see that and it does fit with the model when you look at it - same with upping the amount of airplane on it - it is a double decker after all. But it does not look like a frontline ship

I like the Saratoga but think that it should have more wings. As it is it is a large model that doesn't carry near enough tiny fliers or have enough firepower. In trying to compromise you get neither. The new carrier looks like it may be an attack/strike carrier but it may end up being a jeep carrier only time will tell.

Time to speculate a little after listening to the 270 blog they mentioned a new larger ship class coming. The Saratoga is already a very large model and gets pulled in favor of the San Francisco from the new fleet box. It is a smaller model that still appears to be a large size class. It probably carries 6 wings as their are 3 trays of 5 and one loner pictured(assuming you still have 10 land based). So I have to wonder is the Saratoga going to get a major upgrade? This is all just speculation as I don't know any body and am not part of the play test group. Damn I am really starting to get excited about 2.0 :wub:

Time to speculate a little after listening to the 270 blog they mentioned a new larger ship class coming. The Saratoga is already a very large model and gets pulled in favor of the San Francisco from the new fleet box. It is a smaller model that still appears to be a large size class. It probably carries 6 wings as their are 3 trays of 5 and one loner pictured(assuming you still have 10 land based). So I have to wonder is the Saratoga going to get a major upgrade? This is all just speculation as I don't know any body and am not part of the play test group. Damn I am really starting to get excited about 2.0 :wub:

The Saratoga should be due a large number of carrier points being double decked and a lovely big model 

Delboy mentioned 3 classes of carriers: Fleet, assault, and support.

If you look at the Prussian box, their new fleet carrier is in it and carries 9 SAS. The new Regent assault carrier for KoB has 6 and looks very similar to the San Francisco so one could assume it's also an assault. So with some speculating and assumptions you could arrive that the Saratoga will carry 9 SAS and be your fleet carrier while your San Fran will be the assault carrier and carry 6 SAS.

one of my favorite models that's very rarely seen the table due to its old stats. It does get 9 flyers in 2.0 and some very usable broadsides, 6AD in RB4. A little disappointed about the points bump to 165 mind 

Are you sure you are talking about the Saratoga as the rest were?

The Saratoga was a cheap barebones carrier that I regularly fielded because it did it's job admirably of giving me torpedo bombers, it would often be able to rearm once a game but at 105 pts I didn't expect anything else.

The Savannah was substantially more pricey at 140 points, but had a respectable broadside and although tougher was a more valuable target and couldn't hide. Then it had to make choices between being tough, being an aircraft carrier, or being a brawler. I was always making a compromise by taking it so I loved fielding my simple and cheap Saratoga.

Are you sure you are talking about the Saratoga as the rest were?

The Saratoga was a cheap barebones carrier that I regularly fielded because it did it's job admirably of giving me torpedo bombers, it would often be able to rearm once a game but at 105 pts I didn't expect anything else.

The Savannah was substantially more pricey at 140 points, but had a respectable broadside and although tougher was a more valuable target and couldn't hide. Then it had to make choices between being tough, being an aircraft carrier, or being a brawler. I was always making a compromise by taking it so I loved fielding my simple and cheap Saratoga.[/quwote]

Agree with all about Saratoga.

one of my favorite models that's very rarely seen the table due to its old stats. It does get 9 flyers in 2.0 and some very usable broadsides, 6AD in RB4. A little disappointed about the points bump to 165 mind 

The points cost on Sara is 135. It's not 165 I can assure you.

The points cost on Sara is 135. It's not 165 I can assure you.

I like the sound of that. I am hoping that your source is reliable. Not that it matters I just bought and painted my first Saratoga, the FSS Kitty Hawk.

If my math is correct by buying the Shadow Hunter box set and the new fleet box there will be more than enough SAS counters, with 7 to spare.

10 from the original fleet box

5 from shadow hunter

10 from new box

6 from Saratoga

31 total

If I have my Saratoga, and a Frisco, and local air support that comes to 25, so 6 extra. Using Lee's as spotters, that gives me 5 SAS wings. For me that means 3 fighter, and either 2 torpedo, or 1 one of each.