RazorWing

Gaming Mat Suggetions?

My LGS had a brilliant idea for their xwing tourney mats, they had NASA images printed 3x3 on banners. Its cheap, looks fairly good, and holds up fairly well. They're selling them for like 20$ I think so their cost must be pretty low.

In my opinion, this is the way to go. 6x4 banners can be printed from Hubble images, or whatever other source you might have, for about $45 each. 

One of our local players has a 6x4 star mat made from mousemat material, and it's significantly nicer than the vinyl banner I have. However, it cost $90, not $45!

I picked up a mat from frontline gaming.  It's basically like a giant mousepad.  The bottom part is rubber which grips pretty well.  The top part is a type of cloth.  Some pics of part of my fleet on it are here: 

I bought the 4x6' version which fit my gaming table perfectly.

In my opinion, this is the way to go. 6x4 banners can be printed from Hubble images, or whatever other source you might have, for about $45 each. 

One of our local players has a 6x4 star mat made from mousemat material, and it's significantly nicer than the vinyl banner I have. However, it cost $90, not $45!

Here is a state side vinyl sign company http://www.buildasign.com/CustomBanners

Find a non copy righted image and pick your size. Easy and fairly cheap to make custom sized game mats.

Here is a state side vinyl sign company http://www.buildasign.com/CustomBanners

Find a non copy righted image and pick your size. Easy and fairly cheap to make custom sized game mats.

That's exactly where I got mine. I took a high-res Hubble image, added in a couple of lines for the usual deployment zone, and uploaded it. A week or so later, a cardboard tube arrived with the mats.

That's exactly where I got mine. I took a high-res Hubble image, added in a couple of lines for the usual deployment zone, and uploaded it. A week or so later, a cardboard tube arrived with the mats.

Did the mats smell? The one time I ordered vinyl like that it came with fumes that gave me a headache every time they were in use. The closet I kept them in smelled like a some sort of industrial chemical storage facility. 

Granted, I didn't get to play on their Space mat, but this weekend I spent enough time on the top Tables at NOVA that I got to play quite a few games on the Frontline Gaming FAT Mats that NOVA has.  They are fantastic, and I would strongly recommend them for a gaming mat.  If only I hadn't spend money on my own, I really should have spend the money on one of theirs.

Plus, I spent some time this weekend hanging out with Reece and Frankie, they are pretty awesome guys and supporting their business is a good idea itself.  Actually, they are hilarious.

The surface of the mat really lends itself for sliding bases smoothly which is great for FSA.

Did the mats smell? The one time I ordered vinyl like that it came with fumes that gave me a headache every time they were in use. The closet I kept them in smelled like a some sort of industrial chemical storage facility. 

Maybe for a day or two there was an Aroma of Shower Curtain, but it wasn't bad and didn't last very long. 

Nice! I'm trying to reignite interest in FSA around here, seeing as DW is coming up popular again, and I've been looking for a good gaming mat. Have to shop around a bit, since cost is an issue. I love the ones from Deep-Cut Studios, but I imagine the shipping is going to be an issue there.