Sign in to follow this  
quiet01

Quick shade vs others?

Has anyone looked into alternatives for army painter quick shade dips?

This stuff is crazy expensive for the amount you get. I looked over the MSDS sheet and it is basically varnish in a couple different tints.

Any thoughts?

No. Varnish is a finish coat. Stain will tint/dye/shade the wood.

I am a wood worker and I looked at the Army Painter products and realized they were naphtha based and looked at the MSDS sheet. So I was curious if anyone figured out what the really were.

I just started to use Minwax black for my RSN, and have been very happy with the results. I have never used quickshade so I cant compare. The color I saw most recommended when I was looking was Tudor but I couldn't find it locally.

I got a can of quickshade strong tone a while back and used it on some of my guardsmen. I was quite happy with the results after a coat of matte spray. Never used minwax, though I have heard its essentially the same stuff. I don't plan on using it with my FSA ships, the oil washes do such a great job for what I want them to do.

If they really are the same thing, then it's funny to me that Minwax Polyshade is $12 a quart where I work and Army Painter Quickshade is $40 a quart where I game.

That's pretty standard hobby markup. Look at Green Stuff that you buy from a hobby company vs Kneadatite you buy at a hardware store or from a plumbing supply. It's again, literally the same substance, but several times more expensive as a hobby product. GW famously sells a 12 dollar jar of sand and 10 dollar tubes of Elmer's Glue, after all.

So does anyone here know where to get Minwax Polyshades in germany or which other product available here is the same than Army Painter?

What i also like is that there is a spray-can version of it. That might make things even easier! (althogh its more wasted material its cheaper anyway)