duck_bird

Any Firestorm players in Maryland?

Haha, that would be lovely if I didn't already have a couple Minniatures Market and Warstore orders coming in. You wouldn't happen to have a Relthozan Destroyer box, would you?

Those that had problems with the coupon codes from the last tournament, I have recieved a email finally and are working on remedying the problem. Please contact me so I can keep you posted on what's happening.

I have been playing for over a year now, and finding somewhere to play has been a challenge. A year ago, there were only two places with regular Firestorm Armada gameplay:

Games 'n Stuff

Dropzone

Both were right next to each other, but the groups never seemed to interact. Since Dropzone closed a few months ago, there has only been regular play at Games 'n Stuff... But I haven't seen anyone from the Dropzone group there.

In addition, I have roamed the Washington, DC Area, and have played at the following locations:

Huzzah Hobbies

Dream Wizards

Play More Games

Eagle and Empire Games and Hobby

However, I and my opponents have been the only people playing FSA at any of these locations, as far as I can tell. None carry FSA either (Huzzah has a few Halo boxes, but I don't think they sold any). The game always draws interest from passerby's, and many have mentioned they have fleets, but they don't play.

I'm starting to think we need to adopt the London/UK model, and form a gaming club. Looking online, there are several board game & RPG clubs, but I couldn't really find any miniature wargamming clubs.

I think the main issue is time. FSA, like many big box boardgames and miniature wargames, takes a long time to play. In addition, it requires a very large table. You can't find a 4' x 6' dining room table at a furniture store! These factors make these games unattractive for venues to support. Games like Magic and X-Wing are quick and small, and make more sense for a retail location in an expensive retail area.

So I am asking you forum lurkers to come out of the basement, and post suggestions on where we could all play.

I still like Games & Stuff, but the number of players I've seen around has dropped off in the last couple months.  Last fall I'd see up to four games going at once on a Sunday, then two or three, now it's usually just Jason and I on Sundays.

I'm not sure if it's the holidays making people busy, or changes to schedules for the regular folks, but I wouldn't mind some new people rolling around.  I appreciate not having to go too far for a game, but if we had a solid and active player base that wanted to make someplace else their regular haunt, that'd be fine. 

I agree with Ryjak that we should start looking at other venues to hold our events at the very least. We are not high on the priority list for having events at G&S. I do believe if we start holding tournaments somewhere else we can do more and have more people show up. At the very least we won't be restricted to Sunday's from 11-6.

So my question to the group is this: if anyone knows of a place we could rent or book for a day or weekend please send me the contact information. Myself and Ryjak have many ideas for events and places to advertise the events to get players to attend. As much as I have enjoyed playing at G&S I think it's time we moved upwards and really expand our community.

Nope, never heard of it.  Have you gone there before with your RSN?

Oddly, there has been a resurgence in gameplay with the cold weather, and there's a fairly strong group playing every Sunday at Games 'n Stuff.  However, I don't expect them to start restocking, or to be a good host venue for a formal (money entry) event.  The informal event we're doing right now is working pretty well though.

I occasionally coordinate play at Huzzah Hobbies in Virginia during the week; I can usually get there by 4:00.  If you know somewhere closer to DC, we could give it a try.   Dream wizards is potentially available on Wednesday evenings.