Sign in to follow this  
worktona

Battle Shunt

I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I thing the shunt table is use only when you do a shunt entry from a reserve deployment at the start of the game.

When using the battle shunt as you speak it is the shunt matrix mars that you use...and you dont through dice on the shunt entry table. So ships never miss there shunt tactic..it is just the distance that may change from what you have predicted.

I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard more about how good Kedorians are.  I flipping hate that fleet.  My only consolation is that, apparently, they aren't commonly played yet.

My best success comes by tightly grouping against them.  They can still split squadron you because they have full arcs everywhere, but at least they won't get 3 or 4 arcs into play.  Drop the biggest mines every single turn from the start you can (obviously faction dependent) to hopefully cause problems.  Wings are somewhat helpful as well since they can turn on a dime towards wherever they've shunted to, and you can sometimes catch them spread out and unable to help each other with PD.  TAC wise Burn Thrusters and Drives to Max help with the same thing (you just don't play them early to close like you do with most fleets, you play them when you expect them to try and shunt to your sides/rear so you can respond better).

And don't forget that (as weird as it looks with the models) that they still need to declare and track a rear/vulnerable arc, and they declare orientation BEFORE the shunt.  One shunt roll that goes wrong is sometimes all you need...

But they still beat me more often than not, though I haven't played against them in a while.  Those 4 full arcs are maddening.

I love the Kedorians, especially their frigates. They would fill a nice role in my fleet. Biggest hindrance to picking them up is the price tag, that fleet box is significantly more expensive than its counterparts and there is no blister option, and I'm not paying 80 odd dollars for a squadron of frigates. I would rather drop that money on RSN and actually have some decent resin (quantity-wise) to show for it.

That being said, their models are awesome. The pictures on the box don't do them justice.

The dropping off mines tactic works. This acts as a deterant. Allowing me to start picking off hull points with long range shots. Has a battleship surrounded, before my opponent risked a shunt behind my battle line. This triggered a cluster of mines to detonate, blowing up a cruiser. Enough to to get a marginal win. But it was a win 

I have a question about shunt matrix that I can't figure out. In the book it says that a "model" that has the Shunt Matrix MAR may declare that it is going to perform a battle shunt. The wording makes it sound like each model in a squadron must make separate checks. If this is true than how can you reasonable hope to stay within command range, especially if you have a shunt matrix of 8 like the Relthoza shunt cruiser. This is troubling because the book also says that when one or more models in a squadron are out of coherency the squadron is then disordered. Wouldn't this make the Kedorians very difficult to use since most of them have a natural movement of 2 then have to shunt to get anywhere. What if your like me and typically roll mostly sixes and ones, that makes for a very bad day of never being able to shoot with your squads.

You do roll each independently. I haven't run into a problem with it though, you can declare their number of dice used one at a time so if your first shunt is out of the ordinary just adjust then next one's dice to accommodate for the new required average. With the Keds you only need to worry about that with the cruisers and they're stout enough on their own to survive a bad roll and make it back into command. You're correct, the minimum is two d6 interviglium. 

I guess the most difficult part for me is why the Relthozian shunt cruiser has a shunt Matrix of 8. That just seems dangerous to me. It's definitely an interesting gameplay element I just don't trust it, or my rolls.

I guess the most difficult part for me is why the Relthozian shunt cruiser has a shunt Matrix of 8. That just seems dangerous to me. It's definitely an interesting gameplay element I just don't trust it, or my rolls.

Better to have an option of 8 and never use it than to not have it at all.

A good use of it would be that when the cruisers get down to a single model, the lone survivor can Battle Shunt away from the action before spooling up its FSD.

Better to have an option of 8 and never use it than to not have it at all.

A good use of it would be that when the cruisers get down to a single model, the lone survivor can Battle Shunt away from the action before spooling up its FSD.

i tried that and crshed into an asteroid field and critted myself lets just say it was destined not to be my day that day

The other option is to run Banes as Tier 2 squadrons, so every model has Shunt 8.  I haven't tried it much, but since all their weapons point forward, it makes sense for them to skulk around the edges of the battle, firing torpedoes and primaries into the middle of it. Even a full 8 die shunt is only, on average, 28 inches, which isn't enough to reliably jump clear across the furball, so it's hardly broken. Can be handy, though!

The more you roll the closer to an average you can expect to get, so 8 dice is not in reality that much more dangerous that 2/3.

I usually shunt one with 6/7 dice. Then depending if that ship gets higher or lower than average i adjust the second ships dice. With a command radius of 8 inches you have a 16 inch target window to hit. Then the third ship has between a 17 and 24 inch window to hit for all ships to end in coherency. But with the larger number of dice you shouldnt need to end up so far apart barring rubbish luck. My banes have only ever screwed up their shunt and that was when my first ship rolled 7 on 6d6 and ended up inside a small planet.