Sign in to follow this  
Ulfast

So, I bought the Patrol Fleet, whats next?

So I have desided to start sorylians and I will start to buy the patrol box (beautiful models). What do you think I need to buy next? Right now we mostly plays 800p games but aim to get up to 1000p at least. As experinces sorylians player, what would you buy after the patrol fleet? 

Bombards. Are. Amazeballs.

Super long range. 14 nuclear torpedo dice. 18 die kinetic weapons in their sweet spot. Expensive, though.

A carrier is never a bad idea. The sheer level of versatility brought to any force by one of these is just excellent.

A cruiser box is a solid investment, especially if you magnetize it so you can swap between regular and heavy cruisers as needed.

I really like the Bombard as well--provides much needed reach to the basic fleet.  Plumbatas have been very popular as a tier 3 choice (though I like both Sorylian options there and you have the other one in the patrol fleet).

Oh, and battlecruisers :)

You should buy AT LEAST one more full squadron of Skyhammers. Bombards & Hastas should also be high on your shopping list. Plumbatas are good ships as well, and you should eventually grab a squadron (not a super high priority though).

The Hasta is versatile, and makes a great Tier 1 choice at all levels. The Bombards should be in every fleet that you can fit them into- they are your best source of long ranged firepower to pressure the enemy fleet with early game. Finally, Sorylians can never go wrong fielding Skyhammers. They're fast, and put out awesome AD. Add the shield if you have the extra points, but I usually run mine naked. Build your fleet around them. 

Thanks, several very good advice here. I think i will start to buy another squadron of Falcata and then I´m looking for the carrier. After that I hope the Hasta has come out :) That will flesh out my fleet. And Bombards does indeed look like a good option too :) 

Skip the carrier until you're at the "buying models for the sake of completeness" stage.

Plumbatas are the first thing I would buy after Falcata squadron #2. The only problem is that once you use them, you'll never want to use your frigates again as they're strictly better in every sense. Then once you realise that you want to try to not use the Falx when possible (especially with the Hasta out now), you'll realise you basically bought the Patrol box for shelf decorations and some cards.

Enjoy playing Sorylians :)

Calm is...a passive aggressive sort. In a lovable belligerent and odious sort of way.

A carrier plus two bombards have been pretty devastating in the games I've played. Great direct and indirect firepower and a decent srs load out they make for a really solid 1-2 punch. But I know that some people don't really like the bombard models so it will depend really and how much you like those.

Zak

I too like the Falchion- especially with a pair of Bombards...and while the Falx can be a bit underwhelming if you're stuck driving it across the field, it works pretty dang well as a shunt-ambusher. 

The Sorylian (and Dindrenzi) carriers both work best when paired with their gunships. Good synergy there.

Ha ha, is it so grim?! :) But thanks for your advice. I will propably start with a second falcata squad. They both looks good and seems to be good too :)

Its not so bad, but if you want to not get fed up with losing you do sort of need to stick to certain ships and certain tactics, and unfortunately the patrol box is not a good place to find those ships. You'll probably learn to love-hate the Falx for looking amazing and having tons of potential, but never living up to it in practice.

Personally I use my frigates as Plumbata proxies, as they look better than Plumbatae.

Calm is...a passive aggressive sort. In a lovable belligerent and odious sort of way.

A carrier plus two bombards have been pretty devastating in the games I've played. Great direct and indirect firepower and a decent srs load out they make for a really solid 1-2 punch. But I know that some people don't really like the bombard models so it will depend really and how much you like those.

Zak

If you think I was passive I mustnt have tried hard enough!

Ulfast,

I say skip carriers altogether for the Sorylians. The strengths of the fleet lie in massive broadsides and large amounts of Scatter Weapons, coupled with 4-ship squadrons. Don't try to take on your enemy with carriers, as you will not be playing to your tailored strengths.

For me, I don't see a use for the Sorylian carrier unless in a large game, when fielded with support ships and Shunted into the midst of an enemy fleet in the midgame.

And fielding anything beyond a single carrier (BattleCruisers aside) is not worth the costs, as you have better ships to spend your points on.

And the Zenian League must be destroyed.

The Sorylian carrier is not the best in class, but it's totally serviceable, and with SRS being so powerful I'd be leery of not bringing any of my own at all. I agree with Drakus that a bombard accompaniment is the way to go, and they can put out a pretty eye-watering level of firepower. The hasta may make the carrier less of an appealing option in the future,and it looks super solid on paper.

The model is a proper double-bagger though.

Actually the bombards were my suggestion. I've got some really good mileage out of that combat group in games. It's expensive but delivers some damn hard hitting punch both at range (rare for Sorys) and up close and personal.

Zak

I'm going to break from the pack here and say that for growing from a PF box to a full 800 point PF, the simplest addition is a squadron of Kestros. I would explain my reasoning, but the girlfriend is pestering me to come to bed. Perhaps I'll explain tomorrow, if I remember about this thread.