Sign in to follow this  
Ulfast

Tell me why I should start with Sorylians?

So, I have a Directorate force but feel that they are too evil for me. So I want to become one of the good guys and what better then a good big reptile?!

But all I have read is that Sorylians are bad, boring, have no tactics etc. So is this right? I very much like the ships, they are one of the major races so propably will have more support then minor nations and I like the background about them. But if people think they are terrible, then why should I chose them?

Please help me to make a chose by telling me your reason to play them and what you think about playing them.

Dont really have one. Mostly I like strong defence with a bit of attrition in it.

If you like strong defence with some turtling Maybe terrans are your deal !.

Sorylians, well I can say that from the playstyle they are pretty straightforward, fly up to your enemy and pepper him with firepower and conduct boarding assaults, the problem stems from surviving till you get close enough to your opponent.

Sorylian strenght lies in the broadsides and can be pretty brutal if you manage to smash between two enemy lines and shoot around like a maniac, the problem comes with the fact that what survives may be able to shoot you back from two directions, you need to close in to use those broadsides, and if the enemy is canny enough to use a tight formation you will have it hard when it comes to slip between enemy forces, also factions with long range firepower can blast them to ribbons before they can come close enough if you dont use terrain properly.

I think Hunger's summary aligns with what I have witnessed about Sorylians. That being said, the skill involved with using them is also that of maneuvering to reach their target with enough strength left to deliver their payload. They are kind of devastating when they reach their goal.

Communist.

Space.

Lizards.

What's not to love?

But more seriously - I almost played Sorylians, myself. Here's what I can tell you about them:

• Powerful offense.
  • Strong boarding
  • Fast and durable ships.
  • Fleet list is strongly centered in mediums and smalls with the larges seeming to lack both the punch and the speed to keep up with the rest.

If you like the idea of balls-out diving at your opponent, getting into close range, and then shooting the **** out of everything and boarding what's left... then you'll like the Sorylians. They seem to be the "aggressive aggression" faction (rather than "smart aggression" or "zero aggression"). They want to get up close and personal. They want to be stuck in, flying through the enemy fleet, guns blasting in all directions, and they want to do it now.

ALSO, I almost forgot.

The Sorylian fleet visually benefits from:

• Awesome shotgun-shaped ships.
  • Strong and undiluted visual style.
  • Opportunities for interesting color blocking.

They seem to be the "aggressive aggression" faction (rather than "smart aggression" or "zero aggression"). 

With smart aggression being Terrans, and the zero aggression being the Aquans..... I see..... Nice analogy.  :P

Communist.

Space.

Lizards.

What's not to love?

You had me at Communist!   :D

(what?!?! I'm from California!)   :ph34r:

With smart aggression being Terrans, and the zero aggression being the Aquans..... I see..... Nice analogy.  :P

I'd actually say that Aquans and Terrans are both smart aggression - Aquans because our ships are so fragile that we need to be smart about how we commit ourselves and Terrans because... well, really I don't understand the Terran faction, so I'll just take your word fot it. If there's a zero aggression faction, it's probably the Dindrenzi. Although they've got some ships to even the odds, they generally prefer hanging back and avoiding direct engagement as long as possible.