Trampler

New Firestorm Player - Tale of Sorylian Fleet Apocrypha

Hey,

So ill introduce myself first, I'm Trampler I am a very new Firestorm Armada player having recently purchased the Sorylian Patrol fleet, a Cruiser Group and a MK II Carrier box set. I have given the fleet then name of Apocrypha as it was my favourite EVE expansion to date :P and I have chosen Soylians as they look fantastic and have given me a good number of ideas for painting. 

Over the last few days I have been considering a number of options for my colour scheme and have settle on a few idea and I am posting them here to see what people think and so on. Now I have seen Purple Sorylian ships and other various schemes however I have pretty much narrowed it down to this.

#1: Hull Plating: Fire Red, with a White Horizontal line running along either side of the hull. (Kinda Similar to the Pictures on the box)

Under Carriage: Blackened Steel (Gun Metal paint with a black wash, then highlighted with the same gun metal)

Engine Glow/Flare: Blues, Starting and a Dark Royal Blue, through to Ice blue and a dab of white to finish it all off.

#2: Hull Plating: Grey's, Starting with a dark German Grey, working up to a sea grey with a White/Red Horizontal line (Think Battlestar Galactica or UNSC Vessels)

Under Carriage: Blackened Steel (Gun Metal paint with a black wash, then highlighted with the same gun metal)

Engine Glow/Flare: Blues, Starting and a Dark Royal Blue, through to Ice blue and a dab of white to finish it all off.

#3: Hull Plating: White with either a Turquoise/Orange or Red Horizontal line either side of the hull.

Engine Glow/Flare: Greens, Starting at a Dark Green working my up through Snot green and then on to white again.

Now I am still open to other suggestions not listed above I just cannot find many Sorylian images on the interweb to look at.

These will be painted with my airbrush as well as a standard brush and I will be updating this post with In-progress shots so please keep coming to check back and give me feedback which is always welcomed.

I apologise for the wall of text but thank you for taking the time. See you in the Storm Zone,
Trampler out.

@Northerndragons. Yeah, being an EVE player for 8 years I want to take inspiration from it all I suppose. Giving the ships are darker look (Hence the Blackened Steel as a constant) I will be darkening most of the plates down with a wash to give it that grimy look, I'm no master painter but I think can make something really nice by taking the dark feeling of EVE and applying it to these ships. My Favourite Colour is actually Ultramarine Blue, I used ot have a Smurf army back when I played 40k and that colour is seared onto my brain, but for this I think that blue is a little to . . . in your face.

@Sky_Admiral. Heh its all fun and games, DEATH THE THE ZENIAN LEAGUE (Spoken like a Terran not a Sorylian, still applies)

Welcome Trampler.   Are you still playing Eve?  I played from 2003 to 2008, tried to quit then it sucked me back in, then played from 2009 to the beginning of 2013.  Finally gave it up last year and so far have not been feeling the pull of the addiction.

Your color schemes sound awesome.   If you do the white or red scheme your a brave man.   Those colors are the bane of my existence.  I can never seem to get a good overall layer of paint down.   I need to get me an airbrush, seems like I am the only modeler I know that still doesn't have one. :(

I am indeed still playing, started and never stopped tbh :D and Red is fairly easy with an airbrush I find, over a vallejo air grey primer most light colours come up really well.(Reds, Yellows, White you get the drift)

Airbrush set ups are pretty cheap for first timers these days, if you get on don't forget moisture traps both ends of your line and if you can get a diaphragm compressor. That's my advice :D

I need to get me an airbrush, seems like I am the only modeler I know that still doesn't have one. :(

I bought one last year, and a second hand tanked compressor.  Really speeds things up, but it can be a pain with a sever learning curve (just to warn you).

I am indeed still playing, started and never stopped tbh :D and Red is fairly easy with an airbrush I find, over a vallejo air grey primer most light colours come up really well.(Reds, Yellows, White you get the drift)

Airbrush set ups are pretty cheap for first timers these days, if you get on don't forget moisture traps both ends of your line and if you can get a diaphragm compressor. That's my advice :D

I often tell my customers a tinted primer is the way to go, especially with reds and yellows, grey really makes them pop.  You can skip the moisture trap if you used a tanked compressor, plus you don't get the annoying pulse of air that you get with a diaphragm compressor.

Going back I was going to say, sometimes getting out of your 'color comfort zone' can be interesting and rather enlightening.  I tend to go more cool colors, greens, blues and greys.  Till I got some Aquans...

Manta Battle Carrier

and got out of my 'comfort zone'

Yeah, I have 2 Moisture traps and the Diaphragm compressor in-place to ensure the air is as dry as possible. I had a problem with moisture build up for some reason so I went OTT lol. But yeah Ill be getting hold of a tanked compresser soon(ish). Loving the Aquan ship there, I would like some of my airbrush stuff but . . . its 40 k so I best not :P

Ok so, I'm sat in my studio at my Desk. Expect some WiP tonight :D

Addition :D

So I have only just kinda decided that I will be testing out my painting method on 1 of my cruisers or maybe the entire group to make sure I get it right however this is the one I have been doing this evening. 

1658489_10152223211432184_1978821652_o.j

:D and same cruiser on the other side

1890481_10152223212462184_12002268_o.jpg

I did really not expect the images to be this big but my phone (The only Camera I own) wont change em . . .  

The black at the rear is shiny as It was still drying I covered up some AB over flow  and the Plating again is shiny as it was just washed.

Thoughts ?

Sp, after I gave it all a coat of Satin Varnish. This is the Base hull without the white detailing. Im gunna do all of that at the end of painting my entire fleets base hulls. (The others will not look like this cruiser, The has about 5-6 layers of different paint underneath so I am hoping that the others look a tad more defined)

1669855_10152224710792184_562456913_o.jp1962333_10152224710897184_1993263776_o.j

Thanks for taking a look people :D