YouLookLikeANail

Redesigned Unit Stat Cards

Hi YLLAN and thank you for your cards... a GREAT work indeed!

I have noticed the Avenger (The KOB carrier) has 4 beam turret, but your card report  4 Main turret.

Is there a typo or am I missing anything?

Thank you again for this GREAT work!

The difference only matters when you have multiple types of turrets.

Hi Cambion Daystar!

Excuse me but i'm not able to understand your reply (if your reply refers to my post..): Rulebook, page 30 says "Beam turrets are set facing either Port or Starboard" so i suppose that the difference with main turret is only the direction they are facing.

In this case, and if i read rules correctly, Avenger has 2 turret facing port and 2 turret facing starboard, with arc of fire of 90°. In my opinion this is enough different by having 2 turret facing fore and 2 turret facing aft, with arc of fire of 90°: am I missing anything?

Thank you for clarifications

@Nemo

In the end they are turrets. Does it matter what is before the word 'turret?'

You know what arc they have, and where they are positioned on the model. And you know that they fire into the starboard or port directions.

What more is needed to prove that they are a particular type of turret?

And what cambion was saying, was that the definition of the turret types doesn't matter until a model has the different types of turrets (Beam, Main, and Raised being the current turret types)

Hi Heartbroken Tone 76!

I suppose the difference was needed because the Britannia Fleet Carrier is built upon the hulls of two Battleships, and the turrets have the same locations on the two models, so the position itself reveals nothing about the direction of bisector of arc of fire.

With these different names, the difference between the direction of bisector of arc of fire of the turrets on the Battleship (Fore/Aft) and the direction of bisector of arc of fire of the turrets on the Fleet Carrier (Port/Starboard) becomes manifest and no mistake is possible (i think this is the reason for different names for basically same weapon).

With the Avenger it shouldn't matter as the turrets have 90 degree arcs and that's listed on the card.

On the Prometheus it does matter because there are a mix of arcs on the turrets, but in that case I don't specify that two of the turrets are beam turrets simply for reasons of space.  The Prometheus is a bear to fit on one card as it is.

With the Avenger it shouldn't matter as the turrets have 90 degree arcs and that's listed on the card.

Hi YLLAN!

Your (superb!) card reports an arc of fire of 90 but, of course, doesn't defines the direction of zero of that arc of fire. 

If I read rules correctly the "beam" word before "turret" defines that zero is facing board/starboard (and not fore/aft as for a "main" turret in the same location), so I don't agree with Heartbroken Tone 76 about this: that word is relevant (I think otherwise it would be futile for gamemakers create it).

Neither turret can face forwards on that model. The frame for the flight deck obstructs and limits the turning arc to only the port or starboard sides.

and the models stats indicate a 90 degree arc.

So if the fore and aft arcs are obstructed by framing, and the stats say that the turrets only have turrets only have 90 degree arcs, what difference does it make if the word Beam is in the stat card or not? Very little because it should be self explanatory that they only fire into tge starboard and port directions.

Usually i tend to look at the statcard of a model for get its rules, I don't look at the model for them: it could be misunderstanding.

For example, If I did so I would (erroneously) think that Avenger has double decker MAR and/or Combat launch (as you correctly argue there is no "physical" chance for these turrets to interfer with Landing/Launching Tiny Flyers... obviously excepting british pilots land/launch orthogonally to deck: at heart they are known as masters of seas, perhaps for master the skies they must understand something yet :D).

However I only wanted show a difference between YLLAN statcard and "official" one, but If in your mind it's all ok, so it's for me too. :)

I have been trying to hold back slightly for downloading & printing these in case the 2.0 rules does a re-shift in Points or AD spreads.

YLLAN, if that does indeed happen, and assuming that you have all the current factions complete by this time, how long would it take to edit that?

----

and on a side note, is there a certain format/program that you use to create them? or at least store the info?  Because pending what it is, I might have enough downtime  at work to make the 9-up page PDFs that everyone was wanting a month or so ago.

If anything, I'm finding these singular ones to be a lot more useful - I just simply use MS Word to input them on a sheet, shrink/expand to the correct size, and then print them off. Also, since I'm only printing off the ones I need, I'm not wasting printer cartridges - the biggest thing from the 9-up pages was that you had to do a full print - and thus unused cards - if you wanted a separate card for each squadron.

I have been trying to hold back slightly for downloading & printing these in case the 2.0 rules does a re-shift in Points or AD spreads.

YLLAN, if that does indeed happen, and assuming that you have all the current factions complete by this time, how long would it take to edit that?

----

and on a side note, is there a certain format/program that you use to create them? or at least store the info?  Because pending what it is, I might have enough downtime  at work to make the 9-up page PDFs that everyone was wanting a month or so ago.

2.0 rules - depends on the scope of the changes.  If it's just stat tweaks and MAR updates, it's pretty quick; less than a half hour per faction, most likely.  I've been steadily optimizing the process to take less time, which is good because my free time keeps shrinking in step ...

Program - the originals are made in Photoshop (cue all the graphics design guys to sigh and shake their heads).  I've had someone volunteer to put them into pages but I don't think he's going to PDF them.  

Anyone with a Mac, who doesn't own Word, can convert the pages to PDF by saving them that way in Preview. Might not optimize the file size, but it is a built in application. But I'll volunteer to do the conversion to pages and PDF if you'd like.

I noted the same incongruence in the KoB cards. I imagined that was a sort of "base" of YLLAN for building future cards.

Uhm... but if i think twice.... At heart a Tesla Generator would be an useful item on my ships.... uhmmmm..... :ph34r:

The French faction-specific generators are on the French rule card (fr_rule_card.png).  Some factions still have a faction specific generator card, but wherever possible I'm moving them all towards having a rule card which covers both faction specific MARs and generators.  Where factions don't have faction specific MARs, they still have a faction generator card.  In either case, they also get a copy of the generic generator card in their archive.

The generic generator card is the same for all factions and includes a couple of generators which are used by more than one faction, or which are not explicitly for one faction.  All the archives have the same four generic cards (generic generator, generic commodore, critical and damage).  

I am working with YLLAN to get stat card pages made up. If the lay out is not to your guys liking please let me know and I will re arrange them to how the masses would like them to be 8D.

I will have some different lay outs along with standard army list. I will do box lists (starter, battle , support et all) and the comparison pages as well.

I have added a link on the main page to a dropbox folder I've set up for BacusWyatt's pages (in the "Community Generated" section).  These contain his colour and printer-friendly pages based on my stat cards.  If anybody has problems accessing them via that link, please let me know.

The Drop box folder is now organized by nations, with unzipped folders and .zip folders for color, printer friendly and both. A pages marked * _SF are for the start Naval Battle groups. Other boxes/groups will follow. As will pages sorted by theater and unit class size currently pages are Alpha by theater.

Some more errata for the RoF cards. The Toulon Mk.II is missing the Internal Field Generator and the Mk.I's Heat Lance should only have a 90° firing arc (unless I missed a post on that?).

@BacusWyatt: Thanks for the card pages. But how about size class instead of alphabetical? It's going to be easier to find ships when all the cruisers are together and so on within a nation's pages.

@BacusWyatt: Thanks for the card pages. But how about size class instead of alphabetical? It's going to be easier to find ships when all the cruisers are together and so on within a nation's pages.

They are coming I just did this as a first pass quick and dirty. Figured those that like to print them out and cut them up wont care. I will have the by size coming just a tad slower to do, I prefer a by size/theater so it will be done.

Edit/Update: CoA and EotBS pages are up. FSA and KoB are up. More to come.