Sign in to follow this  
MarkNorfolk

Shooting at Flyers

I had my first game a few days ago. Prussian v Prussian. (Must have been a training exercise :) ). The forces differed in that my opponent had the Armoured Brigade box whereas my forces were compiled out of the DW Armoured Battle Group plus extras.

Anyway - a point of clarification on the shooting of flyers: The diagram for shooting across height levels (in the movement chapter in Sirrocco!?), while admittedly just talking about 'flying high' models, seems to indicate a -1 to hit modifier for each height level fired through. In the Ranged Attack chapter the only rule (re:flyers) is that LOS is blocked to flyers within 8".

So:

Flying high models: no penalty to hit flying high targets; -1 to hit flying targets, may not shoot ground or underground targets.

Flying models: -1 to hit flying high targets, no penalty to hit flying or ground targets, may not shoot underground targets.

Ground models: may not shoot flying high targets with 8" (otherwise -2 to hit), may not shoot flying targets within 8" otherwise no penalty, -1 to hit underground targets (subject to a Command Test).

Underground models: may not shoot at units on other levels within 8".

Is this right?

Cheers

Mark

It's the Flying High diagram in the movement section - the Flying High model has a 'no shoot' icon on the arrow from it to the ground model. I assumed that it followed for shooting Underground models too.

The rulebook does say (in the shooting section) that you can't shoot a model on another height level if it's within 8", with the eception of Ground level units shooting at Underground units.

Cheers

Mark

ok i have just look at rule book and i cant find were it says you cant shoot ground targets if your flying, yes you can't if your flying high.

but you can with -1 to hit as long as your out side range band 1. and if you have strafe you can target and hit with in range band one

Quote from page 36

"Line of Sight Across Different Height Levels
Ranged Attacks made against Battalions that are at different Height
Levels to one another are carried out in exactly the same way as
all other Ranged Attacks, apart from the following two exceptions.
Firstly, the Line of Sight to or from a Flyer Type Unit is not Blocked
by intervening Units or Pieces of Terrain, regardless of their Size
Categories.
Secondly, if a Unit is making a Ranged Attack against an enemy
that is at a different Height Level to itself, the firing Unit’s Line of
Sight is considered to be Blocked if it is within 8”. The exception is
that Ground Units may target Underground Units that are within
8”."

Quote from page 60

"A weapon with the Strafe WAR may ignore the restriction barring
it from targeting Ground Targets that are within Range Band 1.
However, this weapon suffers a -1 ‘to hit’ modifier when targeting
other Flying Type Units."