Druss

Sorylain Collective My Journey

Hi all, well got back in to firestorm armada. and hoping to get some people from the club into it as well. so been working hard on two fleets Soryian Collective and The Relthoza. Getting on well with the Relthoza fleet (will post pic when finish) but this is about the Soryian Collective.

I really love this fleet they reminds me of two space ship designs 1) the zentradi  2) Homeworld. These two thing have shaped my love of space games, also starwars but that a given.

This is main reason why i when for the Sorylian Collective anlonmg with the fact i always play space lizards in ascendancy(old pc game. now on ipad), but i degrees

when i removed the fleet from box found quite a few air bubbes after fixing those thencleaning models up and washed them. i was looking over the frigests and thought to my self they are missing somthing. I could not put my finger on it till my 5 year boy said to me daddy why are thos bits flat well i said that so they can pour in the resin, he looked at me and said ok. but he just stood there thinking then said but you need to put somthing there its flat. and thanks to my 5 year old who could see what i was trying to we know have this small tutoral. very basic but well i think they make model pop more

what they look like before

af6b7536-a800-46fd-a729-0e0a1ed9e1ce.jpg

Then i used my pin vice

P1010309.jpg

two drill these hollows

P1010308.jpg

I then glued in small styrene rods rods

P1010312.jpg

P1010310.jpg

and the end product look like this

d5ac2cea-3839-40af-a61d-55036bb9c25a.jpg

Having done all this work i moved on to under coating in grey as aways. then i started think on colour. I have played lots of war games over 28+ years. Including lots of Spartan war games. but for first time in my wargaming life i am bit of a loss for army colour so much so i have been sat hear think what am i going to do for over 3 hours. in end i desided to crank up photoshop and do some basice colour mock ups, but that did ot help. well hear it comes what do you guys think have look at mock up please and let me know :)

sol1.jpg

many thanks all, for your thoughts. I have decided to go with this colour. (see below). Why? well I am needing somthing that is different and bright. as i want to challenge myself ,by moving away from my confort zone of dark colours. what you think? Please tell me if you think i am nuts, but i am loving the colour very very much. This is only step one

P1010315.jpg

Will your finale result end up looking like...

narnstcr_lg2.jpg

I always think of the Sorylians as looking like Narns...

Basically - where will you be going with this? Just that colour with perhaps some washes?  Patterns like the G'Quan above? Right now it's a bright orange on a flat black so it's hard to say.

Zak

many thanks all, for your thoughts. I have decided to go with this colour. (see below). Why? well I am needing somthing that is different and bright. as i want to challenge myself ,by moving away from my confort zone of dark colours. what you think? Please tell me if you think i am nuts, but i am loving the colour very very much. This is only step one

P1010315.jpg

I think it looks great, glad you went for the Orange.  

By G'Quan, you're right!!  -thumps a fist down on his desk- 

You need to get out of your comfort zone and paint that bad boy up like a proud Narn warship.  For inspiration watch the entirety of Babylon 5.  Repeatedly.

Having gone out of my comfort zone (look at my Manta), you'd be surprised at what you can pull off.  I haven't seen many orange ships in this game.  So they're distinct and look very sharp.

P1010315.jpg

I think Sorylians should be bright colors. I personally went with purple and pink!

you read my mind mate we have something pland thats me and my son. but not squares

Its great that you and your son are doing this together. That is exactly how Dante and I first got into Firestorm. The the obsession grew from there!

Nothing is more awesome then spending time with your kids on something you both love.

And you made the right choice on your fleet!

many thanks my son is not very old at all so i am having to make rule more simple. for him to work it out but he loves the models. people have told me that he is to young for me to be getting him into wargaming lol. i tell its not be that getting him to do any thing he asked me if he could play to.

also i point out to them that he can complete all 3 sky landers games on the xbox with no help (except some off jumping in swapforce) not if you have young child you will know what skylanders .if not its an advanced platformer. and how old is he well he is 5 yes 5.

and its somthing we can do togetter and teach him counting and reading.

Ok been working on the frigates, in am moment of genies or madness i have desided to do a colour shift throw my fleet see pics.

frigates at 80% finished and crusers are 30% done and battle ship has only front armout colour done.

P1010334.jpg

P1010336.jpg

P1010321.jpg

P1010322.jpg

i am going to do all small yellow all mediums orange all large ships red. and the bigger the ship the darker colour of its shade i will do it what you think sorry about bad picture taken them at night in my house which has only energy saving bulbs

Freaking love the yellow. Maybe you should do the engine glow the same color for all the ships so they look like one fleet?

yes that what i am going to do (great minds think a like) and keep the dark grey as well so as to keep continuity