Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIGABRT666

Rule, Britannia!

Recommended Posts

I've not been completely idle... I am to the point now where I am ready to actually paint something now...

Now these smoke trails... I'm now thinking it may've been easier to prime them black and drybrush the whites up gradually and tip them off with that yellow->red->white hot or whatever combination...

 

 

That's what I did - or in essence - A dark grey primer, drybrushed lighter gray, then subsequently brighter layers - dark red, red, orange, yellow, white.. and a black wash - light on the upper part, darker on the grey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I did - or in essence - A dark grey primer, drybrushed lighter gray, then subsequently brighter layers - dark red, red, orange, yellow, white.. and a black wash - light on the upper part, darker on the grey.

That's rather what I feared... and just about the exact way I would've approached it had I just given it some forethought and not run riot with the rattle can. However, all is not lost I think; it is just a thin layer of primer so I think I will still be able to achieve the effect with reasonable success... or as much as my skill will allow.

I've been a bit distracted with the arrival of my KoB and Prussian Wars fleets, but I am back at it now and am currently painting up Smethy. I've been in a bit of a rut with my painting these past 6 to 12 months; not really seeing any remarkable improvement and it is frustrating. So, I've decided on taking a different tact.

I am forcing myself to use a wet pallet. So far I've been sat here for probably 4 hours or so painting and watching television and I've his overcoat and boots base coated... Took about 7 layers. I'm beginning to think my paint may well be a wee bit too thin. :-) I will say this, however, just the base coat looks better than the last mini I painted and finished with 2 highlight colours...

If the results I am achieving by using a wet pallet are replicable with the rest of my colour selections then this may be the first mini I turn out that doesn't look like it was completely painted by the fingers of play school children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right... I'm asking for criticism/feedback . Just for a moment, have a look at my first post in this thread. It was a test mini painted with paints straight from the dropper bottle. Now, here is my progress on good old Smethy. The colour selection is admittedly uninspired, but to me it looks the world of difference quality wise. These are just basecoats, no washes, no highlights, nothing, but base coats.

Some people dismiss a wet pallet straight out of hand for whatever reason (I was among them, because I thought it didn't make a large enough difference to make the extra time spent on each mini a zero sum proposition. I think I shall never paint another mini sans wet pallet.

Front:

image_zps7b94a66a.jpeg

Back:

image2_zps101d7660.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good!

 

I have yet to experiment with a wet pallette, but I fear I may have to make one soon.

 

You should give it a go... You can fashion a makeshift wet pallet from stuff lying about the house. If you have a few spare minutes here are some quick and easy instructions and a bit of how it is meant to work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave old Smethy a bath in some stripper... I really didn't like the colours. Didn't quite turn out like I had envisioned. Painting in earnest this weekend. I should think I'll just stick with the 'standard' colour schemes for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out - Impressive force you have there!

 

Quick tangent, but if you're building a wet palette (and UK-based), can I recommend these, with this and this (or, if you can find one going cheap in TK Maxx, a Komax 1.1l clip-top, rectangular box) - A little more "upmarket" than Kitchen Roll, but worth the effort and still ridiculously cheap. Just place the sponge in the tub, then a smidgen of water, then parchment paper on top. Also, you get better results with baking paper/parchment, if you first rinse it with boiling water (seriously, just boil a kettle, pour it over the parchment, then place the parchment onto the sponge) - I have no idea why, but it does seem to make a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.