We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

atlervetok

enlighten me please?

i have been looking at firestorm armada for a while now and it looks nice the minis look nice too

now i do have some concerns for example, how difficult is it for a new player to understand the rules?

what race does what? what point total makes a decent sized game? 

also im moving to another country (norwich,england) so im hoping i might also get some information if the game is played there in gamingclubs 

bassicly sell me on the game! 

Well, I'm sure someone with more experience can go on in more detail, like a beta tester.  The rules are pretty simple though; the rulebook is logically laid out and everything is explained simply with great examples and illustrations.  Its a lot easier to pick up than, say, BattleMallet 50L.

A decent sized game will likely be around the ~1000pts mark, which is about two patrol fleets worth of minis.  The game is easily played from 500pts though, all the way though 2000pts.

As someone who's recently started playing Firestorm, the rules are relatively simple and straight forward (at least compared to Warmachine, which is my primary tabletop wargame :P) while still offering a lot of scope for tactics. Boarding and wings/SRSs add more complexity, so you may want to come to a gentleman's agreement to avoid using them for your first handful of games until you have a decent grasp on the ship rules, but even those are reasonably straight forward, plus the rulebook is well laid out and has a useful index, so it won't take you forever if you have to try and find something.

The two player box set has a series of scenarios that slowly introduce the more complex rules (assaults and wings, for example), and is a great buy if you want to split it with someone; the catch being that it only has Terrans and Dindrenzi.

Otherwise, I don't think the rules are too complex- FSA really is pretty simple in comparison to most of the other tabletop wargames out there. 

in the olden days, FSA was widely considered to be a fun, easy playing beer and pretzels kind of game with not a lot of depth.

Then 2.0 came along. The game is still Easy to play. Does not have fiddly rules. But is has much more depth. The weapon system coherency effects make ships much more unique and purposeful. The change in the various range bands causes interesting interactions between ships. Indirect weapons were largely expanded and include Cyberwarfare and Gravity weapons that can cause some havoc on the table.

The new ships coming out are fantastic and increase the tactical play to a new level.

Overall, I can not say enough good stuff about this game.

And As a Beta Tester, it was incredible, having regular interaction with the Spartan team. They listened to the Beta Testers and a tremendous amount of our input went into the game and the ships profiles. No other game company has ever reacted so positively to player suggestions and input. That alone is a good reason to play this game.

LMFAO!

They're about as complex as a sledgehammer in this edition. Just point and smash is all they're really good for.

SRS are still far superior to previous editions, even with the hulk smash approach. Fighters and assaulters have an actual purpose now and bombers are not worthless till the last turn of the game. All in all you have far more options then ever before and with the increased coverage range of interceptors you have a bit more room to cover PD instead of huddling your whole fleet in 4" bubbles.

SRS are still far superior to previous editions, even with the hulk smash approach. Fighters and assaulters have an actual purpose now and bombers are not worthless till the last turn of the game. All in all you have far more options then ever before and with the increased coverage range of interceptors you have a bit more room to cover PD instead of huddling your whole fleet in 4" bubbles.

Fighters and Assualters had purpose in v1, Interceptors and Bombers were good too, though they all lacked attack dice in comparison to later editions they made up for it in twice the utility to those who had the patience to figure it out how to utilize it.  V1.5 improved the wing movement system but dropped the ball on everything else making Fighters and Assaulters worthless, Bombers overpowered and last turn only and Interceptors the only thing really worth taking.  I say and have proven to my play group that a hybrid of the two works far better than either version.  You have the ease of movement and PD cover of v1.5, the utility of v1 and a nice middle of the road hitting power between the two without going overboard to v2 levels of dice.

bassicly sell me on the game! 

With great pleasure - it's my favorite game.

1. The rules are very straightforward. Like all games, you'l make some mistakes your first few times out, but it's very simple. Practically everything uses the same basic mechanics.

2. There are some conversations elsewhere to summarize the races, but I'll do my best here:

• Aquan Prime: Maneuverability, speed, long range, and mines all contribute to create a nation that wins through smart and aggressive tactics. Powerful guns, durable ships, and the ability to field many bombers means that the Aquans may be fast and finicky about placement, but they also like to play hard. If you like the idea of smart, aggressive, speedy and mobile ships, play Aquans.
  • Dindrenzi Federation: These guys favor ships with huge guns in the middle, but otherwise suck at being ships (slow, clumsy, sometimes fragile). However, did I mention the huge guns? If you like the idea of blasting away at your enemy so that all that's left by the time they reach you are a few crippled ships and some expanding debris clouds, play Dindrenzi.
  • Directorate: Are you a bad person? Would you rather make your opponent's ships weak than have your own ships be strong? Then you would like to play Directorate. These guys like to hack enemy ships and blow them up from the inside or use bioweapons to kill the crew in advance of a boarding assault. They are mean, nasty, and tricksy.
  • Relthoza: The space spiders win by using cloaking fields to hide from the enemy until they are ready to unleash clouds of bombers and assault boats and/or unusually powerful boarding assaults. Play Relthoza if you are cunning, patient, and like the idea of maneuvering stealthily to achieve victory with a single crushing strike.
  • Sorylian Collective: The space lizards favor a simple, straightforward playstyle. They have powerful guns, which they strap to fast and durable ships and send screaming towards the enemy to kill everything in sight. Play Sorylians if you like to win by having the most guns in the right place at the right time.
  • Terran Alliance: The Terran Alliance is all about tanks. Tanky ships with big beefy tanky shields - more shields than anyone else - and special rules that let them move those shields around and boost the shields of nearby ships. If you like to win games because your ships are huge and hard to kill, play Terrans.

For many games, I'd say something like "just pick the models you like the best," and this is kind of true... but be warned, it's also true that the fleets have incredibly divergent playstyles. I have never played a game that managed to better walk the line between game balance and factional diversity. I'd say do a first run and and pick the factions you like the look of, then from among those, pick the one whose playstyle you like the most. Also ask lots of questions, and all of us will do our best to answer them.

3. So far, I've only played at 500 points. I can tell that at 500, the game acts a little weird. My intuition tells me that the sweet spot is between 600 and 1200, but big games are still far outside my experience, so take that with a grain of salt.