Commodore Jones

Expanded Tarakians

This should come as no surprise, because I basically post the same thing over and over again...

I don't think we need to invent new mechanics to expand the Tarakians. They're fine the way they are. All the Tarakians need to be viable is more. And there's plenty of room for more variety without either breaking the Tarakian themes or inventing new weird and hard to balance rules. As a Tarakian player, I'd feel plenty lucky to haver a battlecruiser (sacrificing some armor for enhanced speed) or a carrier, or a gunship (perhaps sacrificing some gravity weapons for better broadsides) or a heavy cruiser, or a destroyer, or a corvette, or a battle station. There are plenty of MARs Tarakians could use, like Ambush or Scout or Ops Center. When you start to invent a new system for every possible permutation of every weapon, the game falls apart. It's called creative glut, and it's the game-killer.

TL;DR version - there are plenty of ways to add tactical options to the Tarakians without inventing new junk, however cool that junk might be.

To go along with that idea, what if the gunship had Grav Fixed Broadsides?

That would be entirely cool. Though, I wonder about the "informal" rules of gravity weapons. So far, we've only seen turret gravity weapons with the Tractor Beam MAR and damage-only gravity weapons (the Compression Beam MAR, I think) in fore fixed. We've also only ever seen, say, kinetic weapons in fore fixed. It's possible that this limitation is an important characteristic of gravity weapons.

The Directorate Turmoil is Fore, not Fore (Fixed) with its Compressor Beam gravity guns.

Huh. Interesting.

Well, in any case, all that Tarakian gravity guns have been fore fixed. Similarly, almost all the fore scatter weapons on Sorylian ships are fore fixed. In fact, most Sorylian fore weapons that aren't torpedoes are fore fixed, with a few exceptions (the scatter weapons on the battle station, which are clearly meant to be all-round, and the fore weapons on the corvetter, and... that's it, I think). Clearly, these factional limitations are important design aspects. I'm not entirely sure how I'd feel about diluting that aspect of the Tarakian fleet list.

This should come as no surprise, because I basically post the same thing over and over again...

I don't think we need to invent new mechanics to expand the Tarakians. They're fine the way they are. All the Tarakians need to be viable is more. And there's plenty of room for more variety without either breaking the Tarakian themes or inventing new weird and hard to balance rules. As a Tarakian player, I'd feel plenty lucky to haver a battlecruiser (sacrificing some armor for enhanced speed) or a carrier, or a gunship (perhaps sacrificing some gravity weapons for better broadsides) or a heavy cruiser, or a destroyer, or a corvette, or a battle station. There are plenty of MARs Tarakians could use, like Ambush or Scout or Ops Center. When you start to invent a new system for every possible permutation of every weapon, the game falls apart. It's called creative glut, and it's the game-killer.

If you keep saying it over and over again then why keep saying it? I get that sometimes it can be taken to far but its not like its being added to the offical rules of the game. It was just a fun idea playing off the science of Gravity. I think abusing the weapon type would be taking a note from the movie Interstellar and start adding time dialation effects. =p

Everything is just so straight forward in Firestorm Armada adding a little Field Manipulation would just add a new dynamic to the game. Right now as the game stands Cyber Warfare is the only weapon system in the game that has a different play style. Gravity weapons kind of do with the minor push/pull effects. 

I fully agree that Tarakians really just need more ship choices but until we get those why not experiment a little?

That would be entirely cool. Though, I wonder about the "informal" rules of gravity weapons. So far, we've only seen turret gravity weapons with the Tractor Beam MAR and damage-only gravity weapons (the Compression Beam MAR, I think) in fore fixed. We've also only ever seen, say, kinetic weapons in fore fixed. It's possible that this limitation is an important characteristic of gravity weapons.

True, but Gunships are usually a little different from the standard Cruiser/Destroyer fare. If you are worried about hitting two per squadron, make them Gunracks.

Of course, a Tarakian Gunship could be setup with a weaker Fore Grav weapon, and be blistering with Primaries on the flanks. Think of the Battleship cut down and losing Torpedoes.

The fun thing is, there is precedence for both. Heck, one of those could be a Heavy Cruiser or Battlecruiser concept, too.

True, but Gunships are usually a little different from the standard Cruiser/Destroyer fare. If you are worried about hitting two per squadron, make them Gunracks.

Of course, a Tarakian Gunship could be setup with a weaker Fore Grav weapon, and be blistering with Primaries on the flanks. Think of the Battleship cut down and losing Torpedoes.

The fun thing is, there is precedence for both. Heck, one of those could be a Heavy Cruiser or Battlecruiser concept, too.

You should check out some of the concepts upthread. We tossed some of those ideas around, and some pretty cool ship concepts fell out.

Because if I act out of character, God will dock my XP, and I'd really like to make 7th level teacher/5th level wargamer sometime this year.

Silly Paladin, it's time to Prestige. I know it's hard to choose between Advanced Modeler and Tactical Planner (the two obvious choices with your build), but you'll have a lot more fun if you specialize a bit and get some cool new abilities to boot.

Here's some tips I've collated on using pure Tarakians (which you probably shouldn't do, because of the lack of options):

Always Take Self-Repair and 6 Bombers with BB

Reserve Frigates, drop them on top of Enemy Difficult Targets

Hide behind LOS-blocking Terrain, or at least in a Gas Cloud

Use Grav to hurt big targets until PD degraded; kill with Torps

Use Torps to damage & kill Cruisers and Smalls

Only laugh on the inside if someone activates their Cloaking Shields, or moves to within a Planetoid's Gravity Well, or Flank Deploys.

If you want a cool trick, that wouldn't be too difficult to comprehend,( at least not much worse then energy locus, or assault robot torpedoes) how about a battle station, that has gravitational turrets, that can be used for damage, control, or orbital control. Orbital control would be a coherence effect, when you hit a ship, the battelstation would take a command check, with elite crew. if you pass it works. when a model falls victim to orbital control, they will orbit (like the orbit mar, or moving terrain) the diffrences being, is that they will maintain their distance from the battlestaion, and how far away they are determines how far they move in orbital motion RB1 6"  RB2 8" RB3 10" and RB4 12"  meaning the further you were away when you were hit, the faster you'll be thrown sideways. if it was a hit, the direction of your orbit, is decided by a dice roll, if you crit them, you choose the direction of the orbit.    whether a ship can fire, or turn, while in orbit I leave to the jury, I would personally say no to turning (keeping model orientation), and yes to firing options (though perhaps add the decimator Mar, so if you crit, they may become disordered)  the movement would occur at the end phase, like moving terrain. and then the ship in orbit can take a command check, if they pass they're free, if they fail, they will continue to orbit next turn, and so on, until the battlestation dies, or they pass they're command check.

While I believe in developing new systems I really do prefer to make sure 2 criteria are met

1) is it impossible to create the same game effect using the existing systems

2) does it create a useful and fun game circumstance (rather than just a novel/trivial complication or a game breaking circumstance)

In terms of new units I'm not sure Battlestations make sense for star nomads but Tarakians do seem like a prime candidate to provide Defense Platforms for Kurak Alliance Support Fleets engaged in Planetfall missions.

Defense Platforms make a lot of sense for Tarakians... They're not nomadic either; they claimed a small region of space, and I envision anyone encroaching on their territory is forcibly (re)moved with their gravity weapons

Spitballing ideas with BigBen, I was thinking the Tarakians could use an R&D Cruiser/Gunship (or Battlecruiser?) with a Unique MAR:

Perfect Battle Shunt:

No one understands the unique Shunt technology of the Tarakians, but everyone knows they always Shunt in and out with no detectable energy signature. Their Gunship takes this to another level entirely.

During the Secondary Movement Segment of its activation, a model with the Perfect Battle Shunt MAR may declare that it is going to perform a Perfect Shunt.

Each Model is simply moved straight forward 2-10".

Battle Shunt movement ignores the rules for Mines, but will automatically Collide with any Terrain its base would touch during this move. A model can declare any other Secondary Movement actions after a Perfect Battle Shunt. A model can make attacks normally after making a Perfect Battle Shunt, and can perform a Boarding Assault.

A model cannot perform a Perfect Battle Shunt whilst at Full Stop, or if prevented from using its Fold Space Drives.

------------–----------

To offset the mobility, this ship would not have any Gravity Weapons, but have 9AD P/S Primaries at RB 2, and maybe 6AD Torps F/P/S