ElectricPaladin

Teach Me How to Spider

Since I bought our destroyers recently.. I thought about way to utilize them into fight.. so here goes my list.

Both destroyer squads start a game with rest of the fleet. Squadrons are ordered not to link fire unless necessary to maximize corrosion effect. Preferred enemies are Aquans and Terrans. The main attack strategy is to rush into second range band under cloaks and then patiently neutralise enemy force. Exit strategy will be optimized during a battle. 

Any thoughts? 

Relthoza Fleet (Standard Fleet) (1000pts)
  • Tier 1 (220pts)
    • Battleship (220pts)
      • Nexus (220pts)

+2 PD (5pts), Corrosive Primaries (15pts), Stealth Systems MAR (15pts)

• Interceptor Token (15pts)

3x Interceptor (15pts)

• Tier 2 (620pts)
    • Destroyer Squadron (160pts)
      • Venom Squadron (160pts)
        • 2x Venom (160pts)

2x Corrosive Primaries (10pts)

• Destroyer Squadron (160pts)
      • Venom Squadron (160pts)
        • 2x Venom (160pts)

2x Corrosive Primaries (10pts)

• Heavy Cruiser Squadron (Tier 2) (300pts)
      • Huntsman Squadron (300pts)
        • 3x Huntsman (300pts)

3x Corrosive Primaries (30pts)

• Tier 3 (160pts)
    • Frigate Squadron (80pts)
      • Widow Squadron (80pts)

4x Widow (80pts)

• Frigate Squadron (80pts)
      • Widow Squadron (80pts)

4x Widow (80pts)                     

Maybe 2 squadron is a little bit too much. Destroyers are gret with other medium ship, because they are not so attractive to fire upon. They are nice second-wave boarder too. Be carefull against torpedoes, their PD rating is not always sufficient, keep them next to the interceptors.

Please tell us how they are doing next time you play with them.

The reason for 2 squads is that destroyers are more durable and cheaper than both shunt cruisers and cruisers.. 

destroyers 4/7 with 12HP and PD 5+5 (Linked 7) for 150 points
shunt cruisers 4/6 with 12HP and PD 4+4+4 (linked 8) for 165 points 
cruisers 4/6 with 12HP and PD 3+3+3 (linked 6) for 180 points 

sure shunt cruiser are jumping&boarding monsters and cruisers have 16 AD in RB2! But for this type of fleet I tried to choose combination of most durable Tier 2 units with ability to deal corrosion dmg by separate attacks (Hcr + Des). Only bad trade is giving up mines.. I love mines.. 

I admit I like to play crazy lists/tactics which sometimes go horribly wrong so my tactical opinion can be biased. I'll definitely play some games with Destroyers during the summer :)

Had a great game with my buddy playing Aquans last night in a Border Clash.

Only got to turn three before we had to pack up an leave, (We started playing around 8pm), but it was a helluva fight. The Sharnak Cruisers debuted strikingly, putting 5 hull points on one of his Carrier in one round after coming in from reserve! The Dred also acquitted itself well, completely obliterating a Heavy Cruiser in one horrific salvo of death, though it took much punishment in return from the remaining cruisers and the rest of the fleet. 

Overall the inclusion of the Sharnaks was a good choice, their firepower is obscene! Range band 2- 14 AD Fore Scatter, 14 AD P/S Beams, and 14 AD FORE Torps  (This is including pack hunters MAR). Just Brutal, and exactly what this fleet needs.

My Battleline (My two Sharnak squadrons are in Reserve).

2015-06-04%2019.53.01_zpsq3yjwxmq.jpg

His Battleline (2 Barracuda Squadrons in Reserve)

2015-06-04%2020.12.26_zpsc66tohih.jpg

Initial Setup Positions.

2015-06-04%2019.53.19_zps83tcbibq.jpg

Turn Two.

2015-06-04%2020.52.01_zps0lm9iks0.jpg

Going into turn Three and how we ended it. (My first Sharnak squadron is off on the right Flank out of frame. Came in an decimated his Carrier and was prepping for a sweep).

2015-06-04%2021.36.19_zpsoxho6lqr.jpg

Conclusions:

I took out 2 heavy Cruisers, and a frigate or two, and lost 3 frigates and my Dred took 5 points of damage.  However, i also had 5 points of damage on his Carrier, 3 Point to his BB, and the rest of my ships were in perfect HP. If we had played it out, i would probably have Cloaked the Dred, and hope my opponent keeps firing at it to try and bring it down. That way my HC's and may Sharnaks can do the dirty work of beating on everything withing range. i dont think the Carrier and the BB would have been around much longer!

Here's an odd question for you: if you were going to play a game with the RotO Dimensional Gate and Probe, what would you bring along? I guess that question should be extended to four distinct scenarios:

A: It's going to be fairly central and you want to avoid succumbing to it

B: It's going to be placed during setup, so you don't know where its going to be (ie., it could be entirely inconsequential, or it could be central as in A)

C: You want to kill it/cap it for points

D: It is the objective of the game, and your fleet will need to be able to dispatch it without worrying all that much about the enemy's fleet.

Rel mirror is hilarious. Uh... lessee. Rel ships suffer badly when degraded and take damage easily, but self repair can keep them in the fight. It might be worth investing in Biohazard, interceptors, Support shuttles, and self repairing vessels.

The way I see it, Interceptors keep enemy boarding assaults and otherwise prodigous SRS coverage off your ships. A token number of Shuttles can keep either Corrosive or Biohazard off your tail.

On the flip side, there's always the opportunity to run attack heavy, apply corrosive tokens everywhere, and bomber the everliving **** out of them.

Either pick attack or defence. If you waffle and they don't, they'll have either the tools to put a shutdown on you or poke holes in your fleet. If they do the same as you, you'll either do all your damage and both have near-dead fleets all at once starting turn 2, or you'll both struggle to get any damage to stick.

What do you guys think of the new ships in general?

New carrier might be useful, but very little firepower and our more versatile carrier with better accompaniments seems a much better choice for the slot. New assault Cruisers, meh. We have ships that can do basically the same thing with more firepower. And I honestly don't understand the logic behind our new frigate, though i am looking at it from a purely Armada point of view.

Well, while the Ichneomon costs the same as your standard Frigates and has the same AP, essentially you're trading the P/S guns for:

+1 Mv

+1 HP

+1 PD

Durable MAR

This makes it pretty tough for a Frigate, and also makes it less threatening... So you should be able to launch that AP 8 when you need it for 80 points.

And if two are blown up before then, that might be all you really needed them to do.

Spending 20 points to give them Cloak allows them to fly independently... Might be handy.

That's certainly a fair assessment.

However, I think paying the same amount of points (Or more) for a single Assault roll is a really bad investment. Considering you have only 8AD, a number of AD is not really enough to threaten anything that is worth assaulting, and how difficult it is to pull off an effective assault, this seems self defeating to me . If your assault fails, you now have a useless Frigate squadron, other than flying at your Opponents SRS tokens. As for Durable MAR, If your opponent is wasting his SRS tokens on attacking your frigates, then its probably good for you.

My point is, my Drones can assault with the same amount of dice, AND they have guns, so they can fire every turn and kill things.

The only thing I could possibly see them being useful for is to take/sit on Objectives, which they would be cheap and durable. However, that of course is situational depending on missions,etc.

~J

-On a side note, since we are talking about assaulty stuff, Spartan should bump up the Stinger Frigates AP to 3 to make it useful. Considering it has no weapons, and their are other ships with better stats and firepower, AP2 for 15 pts is not worth taking in the least.

The Ichneomon also gives some interesting deployment flexibility to the Relthoza. Since it is the only ship of its class to be able to have Cloak and Systems Network, you could spread them out and use them to help protect other ships. Just a thought.

I'm not sure how it would protect other ships? and from what? Most Relthozan ships have adequate or good PD, and it has no weapons to protect the Fleets rear. As far as I can tell you can't take it as an Accompaniment , and that's a shame since it would be more useful than the Stinger.

Guess it could work well as a Mine clearer, lol.

The Ichneomon also gives some interesting deployment flexibility to the Relthoza. Since it is the only ship of its class to be able to have Cloak and Systems Network, you could spread them out and use them to help protect other ships. Just a thought.

And remember that like the Terran's Aegis, there's nothing saying that you have to buy a full squadron or that you have to keep them together. It's not like they have guns to link up.

I'm not sure how it would protect other ships? and from what? Most Relthozan ships have adequate or good PD, and it has no weapons to protect the Fleets rear. As far as I can tell you can't take it as an Accompaniment , and that's a shame since it would be more useful than the Stinger.

Guess it could work well as a Mine clearer, lol.

If you've got one or two of them flying with a squadron of T3s with System Network, it makes those T3s more independent, so they no longer need to accompany a T1. Now you're free to shunt your T1 in if you feel like it, because you no longer need it to cluster your T3s about.