Ceir

'Demo' Brigades?

Of all the Spartan games I've played, I keep coming back to AC as something to really sink my teeth into. However, nobody at my FLGSes already plays; I'd have to introduce the game from scratch. Freely-posted rules and stats certainly help in that endeavour, however....

What I'd like to know from people who've done so is if there are two stock Brigade boxes that provide a reasonable, yet also eye-catching and cinematic introduction to the game. I'm slowly churning through the army lists and stat files, but I'd like to solicit input from others. Pitch it to me, folks!

I was in your case recently : Dystopian Wars had launched with 5 regular players here at our club. Everyone loves it but nobody looks at AC.

We were beginning our second naval focused campain and near each player had land forces. But no more than a land starter : a must have in the first camaign because I focused on alternate terrain (naval to land). I can say I had a plan because I already was lurking about AC for time! :D

When I launched initiations for AC, we started only with 3 formations for 1K points : a land starter for medium tanks, an artillery formation plus a blister of pointers (in most cases, medium skyships, it depends on the Nation) and a skyfortress or allies. In fact, the investment was already done for DW!

The games turned out to be really fun. AC is a truly nice addition to DW : alternating games in each sytems is refreshing. With modular scenery, you cans adapt it to each one, so why deprive yourself? :D

An AC Brigade contains a very nice base to start, with 3-4 formations. You can also animate multiplayer games with your friends land forces, it fits very well! ;)

Think I've finally settled on Brits and Penguins, though Prussians (robots!) and French (heat rays!) were close behind. One conventional force (insamuch as anything in Dystopianverse is 'conventional') and one weird one should make a good show.

Double-posting seemed more appropriate than editing in. Figured I'll drop some of the notes I made while deciding on my factions, in case it's useful for other new players.

Was surprised how close the Brigade boxes actually are in point values - only an eighty-point difference, on average about a model's worth, and the low/high outliers actually have unusual formation choices that seem to make up for it. If my math is right, the Prussians are the cheapest at 1400, with two Combat Formations and an Allied; Blazing Sun is the most expensive at 1480, with two Combat Formations and one Support. All the rest have one Combat and two Support Formations.

The Brit box is a little unusual in that you can swap around which Regiment the landship leads, and since (according to the unboxing photos) it comes with all the landship tops, there isn't even any proxying necessary. Covenant has similar flexibility, since both Marks of the Callimachus are the same point cost.

Prussians are somewhat infantry-heavy and yet also get the giant robots, Americans have flyers, French are tilted toward the heavy side of the list with all those landships. I like the fact that the boxes skew a little bit here and there, offers variety.

Might toss up posts on the Brit/CoA threads with some theorymachine and mulling on command/asset options; hopefully some game experience soon as well. I've been working on making a reference sheet and some plain-text statcards, as well. Anything to help this game get off the ground!

Nice choices indeed : CoA and Brits are well balanced and wery different in their respective brigade structures.

I'm glad to see someone finally jumping on reference sheets for AC! I am too short on time to work on a main rule reference sheet...

As a Russian player I can tell that they are quite expensive due to their landships (and the Tyumen upgrade). Fortunately the brigade box contains 3 full formations of Kamchatka. ;)

Belgorods are powerful but compulsory choices in the army lists and in a demo the Russian player will have to play cunningly to win against more flexible brigades. Vorkuta fits well for the job indeed! ;)

Nice choices indeed : CoA and Brits are well balanced and wery different in their respective brigade structures.

I'm glad to see someone finally jumping on reference sheets for AC! I am too short on time to work on a main rule reference sheet...

Mostly all I'm doing is yoinking the MAR/WAR/Generator descriptions, terrain table, and some other odds and ends like Command checks and the phase sequence just into a word doc. Got it down to two page/four sides, should be good enough. Plain-text unit cards...are slower to do. :lol:

I freely admit that Warmachine has spoiled me when it comes to unit stat cards - I find it difficult to play games with more than a handful of models without 'em any more. One-to-four model games like Battletech or Federation Commander, full record sheets work for me; anything more numerous like AC, I want my sleeved 2.5x3x5" cards! Heaven help me if I ever get into any flavour or Warhammer, because I'll never squeeze all the unit options onto a Standard CCG Card.

Most expensive are the Russians with 1490 pnts. One combat formation and 2 support formations. they have the repair vehicles as special feature. And the driller unit as a nasty surprise.

As a Russian player I can tell that they are quite expensive due to their landships (and the Tyumen upgrade). Fortunately the brigade box contains 3 full formations of Kamchatka. ;)

Belgorods are powerful but compulsory choices in the army lists and in a demo the Russian player will have to play cunningly to win against more flexible brigades. Vorkuta fits well for the job indeed! ;)

Well, I did say 'if my math is correct'. Where did I....ah. Only had the cost of one infantry battalion for the Subterranean Regiment in. That would do it.

For what it's worth, the Russians are in my second tier of choices. I wound up ranking like this when I was deciding:

Brittania - Covenant

Russian - French - Prussian

America - Blazing Sun