quiet01

V2 mines.

I've read and re-read the rules, tried to check forums, but I'm going to admit it:

I have no idea how one part (a very key part) of mines work.

Two questions:

1) What does the Mine Rating represent? (In v1, it was the total number of mines you could drop, I believe)

2) How do you determine what the AD for a dropped mine is?

1) The Mine Rating represents the answer to your 2nd question--it's the AD of the dropped mine (and the number used if you link multiple ship mines together).  Pretty sure it always worked that way, even in v1.  You can drop a mine every turn (and like torpedoes, they don't "degrade" with damage).

2) See above :)

Edit:  see pg 28 of the rulebook for the definition of what MN means on a stat card, and the bottom of page 67 through the start of pg 69 for how to use them.

Edited by reddwarf

I have a question regarding mines that came up last night during a game: If a mine manages to crit a ship that moved into its radius and the ship explodes due to a result of 2 on the crit table, does the ship explode before or after the other models in a squad move?

I also have a mine question.

Mines are listed under the indirect weapon systems. So does laying mines count as an attack for the purposes of the Pack Hunters MAR?

Yes. Pack Hunter does not list a specific weapon system. So the final Mine would be +1 or +2 depending on how many ships were contributing.

There is a certain awesome looking gunship and an assault cruiser that can drop MN14. O_o and they're not Zenian.

If I understand it correctly could a unit of 3 Veydreth Gunships link their double mines for a single MN14?  

4+(initial) +4(double) +8(second 4+ dbl mines ship) +8(third 4+dbl mines ship)

maths are 4+(20/2)=14?

If I understand it correctly could a unit of 3 Veydreth Gunships link their double mines for a single MN14?  

4+(initial) +4(double) +8(second 4+ dbl mines ship) +8(third 4+dbl mines ship)

maths are 4+(20/2)=14?

Correct. They can also drop two sets of MN 8 if you want to sweep smalls or crack open DR6 mediums. But your best bang for you buck is a hit of one ST 14 mine in the middle of an enemy medium squadron.  Then you've got linked 14 dice attack from forward primaries and an 18 dice side beam attack. All that from a 75 point ships (80 if you want an Aquan turn mode of ZERO!).

Consider shunting these into battle and you don't have to weather the storm of being hit early with vulnerable (as a negative MAR which they have). Plunk down in the middle of the enemy fleet with generous fore and side guns blasting away after tossing out a 14 dice mine and you can wipe out an enemy cruiser squadron in one fell blow :ph34r:  :ph34r: . In fact with their low PD these really do work best as shunters.

Zak

Yes. Pack Hunter does not list a specific weapon system. So the final Mine would be +1 or +2 depending on how many ships were contributing.

Huh. I hadn't thought of Pack hunter mines. That's kind of terrifying, actually.

I have a question concerning mines.

Can you drop mines BEHIND an enemy ship (within 4 inches of it)

and will they still detonate during the enemies ship's activation, if it starts it's

movement within 4 inches of said mine, even though it moves nothing but away from it?

This would allow you to go for the weaker rear armor, after all.

Thank you very much in advance :D

You can drop the mine behind the enemy, and it will detonate when they activate...but unfortunately mines do not benefit from Vulnerable Sector, so you still have to beat their normal DR/CR.

I'm at work and don't have a reference handy, but I'm sure someone can dig it up...

I believe you.

Your avatar is the Arcadia and that is awesome.

Thank you very much.

P.S. Just looked it up in the 2.0 rulebook. Under vulnerable sector it is indeed listed that mines do not benefit from this rule.

I disagree. Laying a mine is *not* an attack. A triggered mine rolls an attack, not the model that placed it. The Pack Hunter MAR only works for models contributing to an attack, not for tokens or markers placed by them. For the same reason, SRS deployed from models with Pack Hunter wouldn't benefit.

Hm, what about sector shielding? :3

A ship attacked by a mine while Sector Shielded will use the weaker shield value.

Sector states that in order to get the benefit the attack must originate from the flight peg of models that are all within the Sectored arc.

Mines do not originate from a specific arc hence why they can't get the benefit of Vulnerable.

A ship attacked by a mine while Sector Shielded will use the weaker shield value.

Sector states that in order to get the benefit the attack must originate from the flight peg of models that are all within the Sectored arc.

Mines do not originate from a specific arc hence why they can't get the benefit of Vulnerable.

Sounds plausible.

Alternatively, the "Important note" box in vulnerable sector directly says only models benefit from that rule, not srs, mines or other explosions.

Why would sector shielding not work on mines? It's not a vulnerable sector, it's a shield that has different values. A mine that explodes in the aft still explodes in the aft, it just doesnt benefit from VS rule. A mine exploding on a flank of a Falx would still have to deal with +1CR on it.

The same arguement can be made for the vulnerable sector rule.

Edit: by that I mean there is a very specific requirement for sector shielding (like vulnerable arc) that mines do not fulfill. Mines are not models and do not have a flight peg to be in the sectored arc. As an aoe attack its going to be pretty hard to have just one arc touching anyway.