Sign in to follow this  
Trokar

Organisation of a Dystopian Wars Tournament

Hello,

we are thinking about a Dystopian Wars Tournament in Northern Germany that lasts one day.

But we are not sure how to schedule the day.

What do you think is a good size for a tournament?

Usually we need 5 hours for games with 750 points. So it could be that we are slow players...

How would you define the duration of the games - with turns oder rather a fixed few hours?

I think that every participant should have at least 3 games.

Maybe you have some helpful ideas...

Hello,

we are thinking about a Dystopian Wars Tournament in Northern Germany that lasts one day.

But we are not sure how to schedule the day.

What do you think is a good size for a tournament?

Usually we need 5 hours for games with 750 points. So it could be that we are slow players...

How would you define the duration of the games - with turns oder rather a fixed few hours?

I think that every participant should have at least 3 games.

Maybe you have some helpful ideas...

Yes, that is slow play.  Our group can easily have a 750 pt game set up and played in under two hours. I'd look at 850 points as a sensible tournament level.

The highlander format is quite fun- you may only have one unit containing X model in your fleet, including any attached units. This removes any spam builds

Some fleets need more turns than others to make an impact, some people play faster than others. This is why field orders are the best way to decide the game length- it isn't finished unless someone has achieved their order.  However, in a tournament setting, time is the only practical way to do it.

Three games is perfect  for a day.  2 1/2 hours a game is sensible.

Ways to speed up play..

Make sure there is a copy of every book and errata to hand.

Have one central rules person, who isn't playing.  Their decision should take seconds, and be final.

Everyone should have pre-written,clear and checked fleet lists, showing all options., so they are not  taking time choosing which option to take each game.

If you require fleet lists to be submitted in advance ( say, 10 days) , people will have decided their fleet, have a chance to practice with them, and know their stats and how they play better. This speeds them up

Have lots of space. If people can simply put their fleet on a tray, rather than pack and unpack it several times, this helps save time

Simple way to speed up play and eliminate stalling and indecisiveness: Unless 4 complete turns have been played by the end of the game, or a player has won by completing their fleet order, BOTH players are considered to have lost. People have to play to win, or at least play enough to give their opponent a chance to win, or they will lose by default.

I don't think that  banning  cards, tiny flyers, dreadnaughts, commodores, etc, etc speeds up the game. Theses element only slow things down when people don't know the rules for them.

EDIT: Oh and use pre-set terrain.  So long as different tables have different terrain balances, and people are allocated to tables randomly, it's fair enough, and it saves set up time.

Hope that helps.

This might help.

For those in Brisbane, Australia I'm running a Dystopian Wars tournament on Saturday December 7th.

If your interested in attending, tickets and details are available from this site.

http://www.irresistibleforce.com.au/product/Brisbane-Dystopian-Wars-Tournament-7-December,7882,182.aspx

Irresistible Force is kindly donating their Gaming Lounge for the day and 100% of ticket sales are going towards prizes.

This is my first tournament and I know the local community is very much looking forward to it.