Sign in to follow this  
Retribution

Urgent Rules Questions

Okay, so these are very important to the game and I do not believe they have been answered.

Question 1: So, in Operation Sirocco, on page 141 it says that a disorder test is only taken if a unit is destroyed, but then later it says that if a unit is damaged it has to take a disorder check.  So if a landship takes a point of damage it has to take a disorder check? Is that right?

Question 2: Cloud generators are worded so that after they have been turned on once they will never ever turn off because they are on until the unit next activates, but then the unit will immediately turn it on again.  So are they ever off?

Well, page 141(PDF page 30)'s rule does not exclude having to take a disorder check due to damage, it just makes clear that you must take a check due to destruction.

This means that 'rules as written' if there was a rule that damaged a unit without specifically mentioning that the unit must then take a check, the unit doesn't take the check - but if that same rule damaged and destroyed the unit, the remaining units in the battalion would have to take the check.

The rules that say you must take a check for being damaged are as a result of shooting and boarding. The boarding rules have a contradiction between the 'boarding assault sequence' and 'check for disorder' rules, however. You also gain disorder markers for damage taken as a result of a ram.

I think that the rule on page 141 was not updated correctly, but there's no contradiction, fortunately. The 'check for disorder' rule in the boarding action segment is almost certainly wrong.

The Cloud Generator is inactive if:

• The player forgets to activate it
  • The unit carrying it loses its generators as a result of a critical hit
  • The unit carrying it was successfully targeted by a Feedback Generator
  • The unit carrying it began its activation with a disorder marker and fails the disorder check

I was referring to page 150 where it says that you have to take a test if a unit is damaged, so is that only if the unit is boarded? So, in an example, if a Britannian Sovereign-class Landship suffers one point of damage as a result of a normal gunnery attack, does it take a disorder test?

Page 150 is specifically referring to damage or destruction resulting from shooting attacks. So in your example, yes, the Sovereign takes a check.

Page 141 says "A battalion may be required to take a Disorder Check under several different circumstances. These include the following:". I don't know if you're a native English speaker, but the phrase "these include the following" means that the list is not exhaustive. There may be other circumstances not listed on page 141 where you must take a Disorder Check.

So the logic is:

• Page 141 - You must always take a disorder check when one or more units are destroyed.
  • Page 146, 150 - You must take a disorder check when one or more units are damaged or destroyed by a ranged attack.
  • Page 154 - You must take a disorder check when one or more units are damaged or destroyed by a boarding assault.
  • There are no other circumstances where you take a disorder check when a unit is damaged.
  • Deduction: If there was not a ranged attack or a boarding assault and a unit was damaged, you do not take a disorder check.

I hope this helps :)