Sign in to follow this  
Forest

Can't win a game with RSN

Hi all,

am new to the game - drawn by the awesome ships.  I stared with a RSN starter set, but for the life of me, can't win a game against my bros.  They have a Sorellian and Relthoza starter fleets.  Yes, I read that the RSN battleship is NFG, but still, when I throw my cruisers at thier battleships, I still get destroyed.  Is this just a looser fleet?  Suggestions.

One mistake you're making right off is throwing at a Sorylian battleship. Just like the RSN, cruisers are where the Sorylians are bad@$$.  You want your Spooks to hit the Skyhammers, while the battleships deal with each other. The Specter has a slight AD over the Swordbreaker at Range Bands 4 and 3 in both guns and torpedoes, use that to your advantage.

I'm fairly new to the game as well, but the best thing I can tell you is...try not to let losses discourage you. It's a game and like most games, it's got a learning curve. But once you figure it out and have that moment of clarity, you'll be smoking folks with RSN, they're pretty solid. If you like your cruisers, you'll like the heavy cruiser more...maybe consider a couple of those guys once your gaming group expands to higher points. We just went to 750 as a group and it's fun. I'm trying a carrier out and I really like it. So, you might as well...

Hope it helps, man,

Thanks - yes, just starter set and saw that the other ships would help.

I did all those things wrong:  I rushed my cruisers into the battleship.  Didn't hang back.   Didn't focus on Relthoza cruisers.  He shut deployed them into the middle of the field.  That was a killer for me.  I also had my cruisers right next to each other, and he rolled a 2crit - BOOM.  bad.

But how the heck to you take out a battleship???  I can't seem to get anywhere agaist them. 

Focused firepower. Most of the larges are a pita to knock out, especially at the starter box level :unsure:. You would probably do well to link your stuff and focus your long range fire on the cruisers or frigates as you actually have a chance of hitting them (albeit a small one with cloak). Either way they need to have been weakened some before they get close enough to drop cloak and really return fire.