Sign in to follow this  
patton4014

Spotting

Sure. My FSA Field Artillery Regiment's Cavalry battalion wants to spot. I measure Line of Sight, then discard one Command Point (that I assigned to the Formation at the start of the turn) to make the test. My Cavalry are Regular-quality, so they will take the Spotting Test on three blue dice.

The range to the target is further than 18", but I have the Spotter MAR. I need three successes. I roll, but only get one success. Because I failed by two, the target gains two negative spotting markers. I could fire my rocket-artillery now if I wanted, but each negative marker reduces the attack dice pool's dice colour level. My twelve blue dice would become eleven black dice.

I have a second Cavalry battalion in the same formation, so I'll make a second Spotting Test. This Cavalry battalion is also outside 18". I spend the mandatory Command Point, then elect to spend two more Command Points to increase the dice colour level of the test from three blue dice to four red dice. I roll, and get five successes when I only needed three. The target gains two positive spotting markers.

The target now has two sets of spotting markers - one result with two failures, and one result with two successes. When firing, you do not combine results, you choose the best result.

I'll fire my three Yorktown bombards now. Unlike the negative spotting markers, the first positive marker doesn't increase my dice colour level. There are two positive markers, though, so I'll increase my twelve blue attack dice to twelve red dice.

Ben,

Thanks for that example.  That has cleared up several items for me.

A couple of follow up questions.

1. Does the unit doing the bombardment have to be in the same unit of the spotters?  Or is it that you are spotting for your side?  Can I use for example my scout gyro (I play ETOBS) to spot for my rocket robots?
  2. Do the spotting tokens go away after the first bombardment?  Example:  Let's say I have a fortifcation unit and I spot with my commuications tower and I get 2 markers as in the example above.  I then fire my bunker complex's rockets at the target and hit.  I have 2 rocket towers that are also able to fire at the same target?  Can I fire at the same target using the same spotting markers?  Or do I role the 2 tower and the bunker all at once?
  3. I am planning on taking a sky fortress and recon planes.  I know I can use them for spotting for the unit they are "attached" to.  Do I need more than 1 in a squadron and if so how many?

The battalion doing the bombardment must be in the same formation as the spotting battalion. When a formation's activation ends, all spotting markers are removed. Spotting markers can be used for as many bombardment attacks as you like within that formation. Your Inari Scout Gyro may only spot for the Divisional Aerial Support Asset, because that's the formation it was purchased in.

The spotting markers don't go away after a bombardment attack is made. In your example, the bunker and the towers may both fire bombardment attacks at the same spotted target without having to roll a new spotting test, but they're separate battalions so they'll make separate attacks.

Recon planes? Nah, just take one in a squadron, they're not going to fly near anything to get shot.

Okay, so I recently disagreed with someone about spotting, and it might have been answered above, but just to be sure.  Example: I have a regiment containing two battalions of Cromwells, and one battalion of Foxhounds.  My Foxhounds range in on a Prussian Sturmpanzer.  Can both battalions of Cromwells fire at the Sturmpanzer using the single spotting result?

Yes. Spotting markers are only removed at the end of the activation. The risk is that the single Foxhound battalion will roll a bad Spotting test, forcing both Cromwell battalions to roll poor attack dice pools.