Bishop084

Official Zenian League Thread: Rense System Navy

Is there a post with some basics on the RSN?  Some basic tactics and run- down on the different types of ships, the factions strength/ weakness?  I've been looking, but haven't seen much.  Thanks.

At some point, I intend to write an RSN Fleet Guide, as I have tried all of their units with my Dindrenzi.  Overall, they have some basic themes:

High DR, or special defenses

Elite Crew

Expensive

The real downside is each ship class has a unique/specialized way of playing, so it can be difficult to use the fleet effectively.  But they all love hiding in Gas Clouds, and can generally bully other ships at their Tier level.

At some point, I intend to write an RSN Fleet Guide, as I have tried all of their units with my Dindrenzi.  Overall, they have some basic themes:

High DR, or special defenses

Elite Crew

Expensive

The real downside is each ship class has a unique/specialized way of playing, so it can be difficult to use the fleet effectively.  But they all love hiding in Gas Clouds, and can generally bully other ships at their Tier level.

Is anyone else a bit frustrated with the composition of ships, particularly cruisers you get when buying the Patrol fleet boxed set for RSN? As you get the parts for 3 Shrike cruisers and 1 Hellhound heavy cruiser.

However, the squadron sizes for RSN are 2-3 whether heavy or standard. So you can only have:

• A squadron of 2 Shrikes
  • A squadron of 3 Shrikes
  • A squadron of 2 Shrikes and 1 Hellhound

In any of the above cases you have at least one model that you cannot field in battle...

2 hours ago, FuriousFalcon said:

Is anyone else a bit frustrated with the composition of ships, particularly cruisers you get when buying the Patrol fleet boxed set for RSN? As you get the parts for 3 Shrike cruisers and 1 Hellhound heavy cruiser.

However, the squadron sizes for RSN are 2-3 whether heavy or standard. So you can only have:

• A squadron of 2 Shrikes
  • A squadron of 3 Shrikes
  • A squadron of 2 Shrikes and 1 Hellhound

In any of the above cases you have at least one model that you cannot field in battle...

The heavy cruiser is intended as an attachment for the battleship. 

Hey Admirals, I'm looking for advice on deployment and choosing squads to put in reserve. Right now I'm doing small games with a squadron of everything but heavy cruisers available, and in my past games (terrains and directorate) I feel like I'm making bad opening moves.

In general, what terrain pieces and enemy targets influence your deployment and what do you try to reserve / risk shunting in?

So, Battleship w/Heavy Cruiser Accompanyment, Spook Cruisers, Destroyers, and Frigates?

Consider placing your Frigates in Reserve, unless that will put you two Activations behind.  RSN Frigates, when at full strength and properly positioned, can toss out 10&12 AD at two different targets in the same Squadron, and maybe even a bonus 10 AD at a third target, and often into a Vulnerable Arc.  Pull it off once and your opponents will learn to fear the little RSN ships.

Destroyers and Spook Cruisers basically do the same thing; sit back and shoot.  It’s hard to say which is better, as it will generally come down to your preference. Spooks are the more aggressive option, and don’t need terrain.  Destroyers really benifit from being in a gas cloud with good fields of fire, which isn’t always available.

The Battleship is refreshly straight forward; front towards enemy, move as slow as possible.  9 AD from 48” is crazy good; take advantage of the long range firepower as much as possible. I’d say the -1” TL is mandatory, and really pays off in the inevitable close-range knife fight that often breaks out Turn 4.  No one expects a Battleship to maneuver behind a Cruiser.

For deployment, place your Battleship last, so you can maximize the range, which means leading with Cruisers or Frigates... you can start your Deployment by placing a Frigate Squadron in Reserve.  Generally, place the fleet in one corner, and the Battleship in the opposite corner.  Spend the first few turns driving the fleet towards where the Battleship will be Turn 3; don’t rush to engage.