Bishop084

Official Zenian League Thread: Rense System Navy

All that friction doesnt mean to me that combined fleets cant gather to attack the Alliance of Kurak. Of corse they might not trust their "partners" in this battle but it still will be more ships to attack the enemy. The only combination where it really seems a bit difficult is between ba'kash and directorate.

All that friction doesnt mean to me that combined fleets cant gather to attack the Alliance of Kurak. Of corse they might not trust their "partners" in this battle but it still will be more ships to attack the enemy. The only combination where it really seems a bit difficult is between ba'kash and directorate.

This is true, I just enjoy playing a "purist" (double meaning there ;) ). As such my fleets will be exclusively Dindrenzi, RSN, Works Raptor, & Directorate. I'm going a step further and excluding the Illosians, so a "Homo sapiens only club" essentially. I like the idea of forming fleets along internal politics, but no it's not necessary. Any combination could be assembled and be reasonably explained by alliance they have through the League.

This is true, I just enjoy playing a "purist" (double meaning there ;) ). As such my fleets will be exclusively Dindrenzi, RSN, Works Raptor, & Directorate. I'm going a step further and excluding the Illosians, so a "Homo sapiens only club" essentially. I like the idea of forming fleets along internal politics, but no it's not necessary. Any combination could be assembled and be reasonably explained by alliance they have through the League.

Really supporting the image i have in my head of the Dindrenzi there ;) A race of moderate Xenophobes where every Alien species is an asset to be used and disposed of and where entire civilisations play as cats paws in Renses game. Having said that i'm with you, i prefer to keep the human vs human picture in my head especially in terms of fluff, with the aliens as a side show, but thats just how i like to think of the F:A universe, i can imagine that the aliens are a big factor for many others.

Anyway, i imagine that these political alliances will have no difference in standard games as per player preference, but i can also imagine that they will play a big part of any campaign (official or otherwise). The Zenian races especially seem to have very differing motivation e.g: Directorate-Profit, Relthoza-Subjugation, RSN-Revenge etc. It would be interesting to see if those motivations, change or perhaps as is more likely (given the races stubborn nature) the alliances change instead. Realistically i cant imgaine them changing too much but who knows if an alliance fleet gets upgraded to a core fleet it may bring about those changes, e.g. the French in DW who were allied with the Italians by default through the prussians until they became a core race.

oh and

I always think in terms of fluff no matter what I'm playing. It's a compulsion, really. Even my MtG decks have back-story.

Im exactly the same as you in terms as a high preferance for fluff (probably hence our works in the old 'tales of glory section' may it rest in peace). though i gotta admit fluff for MTG is impressive, i failed in the respect of trying to breathe any backstory into it and hence dont really like mtg anymore mores the pity.

Im exactly the same as you in terms as a high preferance for fluff (probably hence our works in the old 'tales of glory section' may it rest in peace).

I actually had this internal political struggle at the heart of my story Veiled Intentions. Since I have no idea if or when I'll ever finish it, I'll type the synopsis here. Highlight below to read, but don't if you don't want the ending spoiled for you (if I ever do finish it):

Skorzeny's mission from the Rense Political Delegation was to seize a Terran capital ship, actually the particular battleship the Black Wolves are sent after. The RSN have already assembled a dummy Terran fleet, but they need the flagship to head it as a clear and identifiable message.

Recently, the Renser's political rivals the Kedorians have been covertly assembling political support in favor of a peace agreement with the Terrans, and that battleship was scheduled to make the first meeting with their diplomatic envoy. Commodore Maxwell delivers the battleship into the decoy squadron, which Skorzeny plans to use it to attack the Kedorian delegation's forces and kill the diplomat in a bloody surprise attack. The Kedorians will have no other explanation but that of a double cross, and the whole black ops mission is designed to coerce the Kedorians into an aggressive stance against the Terrans and their allies and set back diplomacy decades. This is why leaving no survivors and allowing no ships to escape from the initial engagement is so vital to the mission's success. No witnesses.

When Commodore Maxwell uncovers the truth behind his mission, he is appalled that Dindrenzi Naval assets are being used to execute diplomats of the Federation. He takes his squadron rogue in an attempt to sabotage the mission, but fails.

though i gotta admit fluff for MTG is impressive, i failed in the respect of trying to breathe any backstory into it and hence dont really like mtg anymore mores the pity.

I either built theme decks based on the set, or threw the official back-story out entirely in favor of my own.

Like I had a Red/Black Zombie Goblin deck that enjoyed a nifty combo with Shaman's Trance & Balthor the Defiled. My back-story to that deck was that Balthor was a famed dwarven general cursed to undeath by the betrayal of his people. He now leads a horde of goblins, corrupting them with necromantic magics to seek revenge upon his former brethren from beyond the grave.

I also built a CTHULHU cult theme deck through the clever use of a few clerics, some horrors & skeletons, and Dark Depths.

I prefer to think that the main conflict started a humna vs human, and at a first moment, some alien races where dragged to the conflict due one or another side aggression by a human faction, or the exchange of favors between those humans and their alien friends.

But as the conflict escalates and other races join the fray, isn't a matter of allies and pawns anymore. I think lots of of races have their own agenda. Some join to have the leverage of their own allies against their enemies and so own. I think it's farfetched and humancentric to think that all resolves around terrans and dindrenzi machinations.

I prefer to think that the main conflict started a humna vs human, and at a first moment, some alien races where dragged to the conflict due one or another side aggression by a human faction, or the exchange of favors between those humans and their alien friends.

But as the conflict escalates and other races join the fray, isn't a matter of allies and pawns anymore. I think lots of of races have their own agenda. Some join to have the leverage of their own allies against their enemies and so own. I think it's farfetched and humancentric to think that all resolves around terrans and dindrenzi machinations.

That's true, but the machinations of the Terrans & Dindrenzi are going to be of the greatest personal interest to us, being humans. Furthermore, Firestorm is a human-centric galaxy: 3 of the 7 major factions are human at their center (Terran, Dindrenzi, Directorate), and 3 of the 13 minor races are as well.

Haha, thanks for the synopsis but im not ready to give up on waiting for more of Veiled Intentions yet (the title gives some clue as to what happens i suspect).

As long as this forum doesnt blow up i'll keep a note of where it is and come back here if you decide to put the story to rest.

I dont know for sure why i prefer writing, reading and playing about inter human conflicts, but i suppose it because i have a fascination with how humanity insists on maintaining an almost perpetual state of conflict with itself despite almost infinite other possibilities available available to occupy its time, if the conflict was human vs alien i feel that i would be forced into a biased support of the humans, and that any atrocities comitted by the aliens will thus be a justification for reprisal in itself, but here i am starting to waffle incoherently about the thought so i'll leave it there.

Hello everyone, with the news of the RSN becoming a full-fleet I was wondering what your thoughts are on the fluff of the RSN as they used to be homefront defenders and support elements of DN operations abroad, now it looks like they're coming into their own as a new Zenian power equalled by their Dindrenzi compatriots.

Thoughts? Speculation? Discuss!

I don't know that they'll be a full faction... I think they may still be under Support Fleets. But they will definitely have a full selection of ships!

The RSN are the elite. They are fewer in number than the standard Dindrenzi Naval forces, but far more dangerous and prestigious. This war is their quest for vengeance, they've pressed for the attack and now they're leading the charge. I expect RSN elements will be involved in all the most important battles of the war.

Not too terribly long after I posted this thread I return to find this:

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/the-elite

A full explanation of the new RSN fluff, and it makes me want them even more.

Some of the RSN are fanatical due to their exposure to the Church of Dramos Angels, but with the idea that some RSN Captains might believe in the Church's doctrine lends well to some of the names of my ships.

Ship names: Terra's Perdition, Sword of Vengeance, Blade of Retribution, Wrath of Dramos, Avenging Angel, others I can't recall at the moment.

Not too terribly long after I posted this thread I return to find this:

http://www.spartanga...co.uk/the-elite

A full explanation of the new RSN fluff, and it makes me want them even more.

Some of the RSN are fanatical due to their exposure to the Church of Dramos Angels, but with the idea that some RSN Captains might believe in the Church's doctrine lends well to some of the names of my ships.

Ship names: Terra's Perdition, Sword of Vengeance, Blade of Retribution, Wrath of Dramos, Avenging Angel, others I can't recall at the moment.

All of my ship names are drawn from mythology to go along with their class names.

The Pyrrhic Victory, the Valkyr's Flight, the Coils of Ophion, Eris' Contention, Medusa's Gaze, etc.

I preordered now.

First i thought about taking 3 heavy cruisers and no normal. But on the other side its my favorite faction model wise. So i thought i should get the normal ones even though i might not need them ingame and i like the heavies better from looks.

For the carrier ive to say i liked the model more and more and even though i guess i wont play it, i had to get one.

The battleship model has some aspects im not sooooo happy with but in the end its something special. In addition the zenian league support fleet doesnt have acess to another battleship that i would play (stats wise; the kedorian is simply too slow) so i decided to take it as well.

One small side factor was that i will have the stats as early as possible to satisfy my curiousity.

As said above the most difficult decition was about the cruisers. usually its a good idea to have one heavy combined with two normal in a squadron. But from what ive seen on the models i guess the heavy will have a strong front while the normal might have better broadsides.

That's something that is bothering me too. The Oroshan and Ba'Kash cruisers are confirmed good, but I hope the RSN is up to the challenge. I would love to know more about them and the HC before ordering, to decide if I'll build squadrons of 2 cruisers + 1 HC, or normal full cruiser ones, or even stick to oroshans or ba'kash.

At least the oroshans cruisers will get some action, since I'm planning to get a full oroshan fleet later on, anyway.

Yeah i already have a pretty clear picture of the RSN stuff in my head. And i dont think the normal RSN cruisers will be better than the ba'kash with their pack hunter. I compared some ba'kash, dindrezi and RSN medium ships and thought about the options they have. I give the heavies a bigger potential but in the end its just guessing.

Yeah i already have a pretty clear picture of the RSN stuff in my head. And i dont think the normal RSN cruisers will be better than the ba'kash with their pack hunter. I compared some ba'kash, dindrezi and RSN medium ships and thought about the options they have. I give the heavies a bigger potential but in the end its just guessing.

So are you planning to use Ba'Kashs?

Rense Naval Weaponry

RSN vessels use a combination of advanced weapons and ordnance to engage enemy warships, including heavy linear accelerators, nighthawk torpedoes and AM mines. This technical dossier is designed to explain how these systems work, the kind of damage they inflict, and what support systems they need to be able to work at full efficiency.

Heavy Linear Accelerators

Identical in operating principal to Dindrenzi navy railcannons, RSN HLA are designed to be fired as batteries rather than single, forward rails. As such this gives RSN ships a much greater degree of flexibility in engaging enemy vessels. Most times, due the semi-cermonial duties of the RSN, these weapons will be hidden behind armoured shutters and massive gun ports, giving RSN ships a very streamlined aesthetic when compared to Dindrenzi vessels. Upon entering combat, the shutters are opened, and the guns laid out, each battery having multiple guns with somewhat limited traverse.

On firing, electrical charge from heavy duty compulsators flows through the rails—and the projectile—launching a round downrange at a fraction of light speed. HLA's use special sabot ammunition, with a light metallic sabot surrounding a jacketed depleted uranium penetrator round. The sabot disintegrates as it leaves the muzzle, incinerated by plasma discharge, while the DU penetrator rips towards the target. Impact with the target leaves a small entrance hole, with severe stress applied to the surrounding hull for several metres, which can often lead to devastating decompression events as the hull gives way if stressed further by combat maneuvers or additional weapons fire.

HLA cooling is provided by an exterior liquid helium line that flash cools the rail cavity as it is sealed. The liquid helium is then pumped to a battery specific coolant tank, and the tank pumps the superheated liquid helium through heat exchanger in the ventral section of the hull. The compulsators that power the HLAs require little cooling themselves. All HLA batteries have reserve ultracaps in case of power loss, allowing weapons to fire an additional round after shipboard power fails due to damage, or while 'running silent' as detroyers often do.

As with Dindrenzi railcannons, HLAs suffer rail erosion, but not to quite the same extent as they fire smaller, lighter projectiles with lower current demands. When rails need replacing, a ship will pull into the nearest drydock or repair yard and simply exchange the entire worn HLA with a new one.

Nighthawk Torpedoes

The torpedoes used by the RSN are a unique blend of Directorate and Dindrenzi technology. The warhead is a complex kinetic munition, while the torpedo itself is propelled by a powerful short-burn plasma drive. Due to fuel limitiations, the drive is pulsed rather than burning continuously, leading to a staggered acceleration profile, with velocity stages similar in scale to the acceleration curve of Terran torch missiles.

Unlike kinetic hammers, nighthawk torpedoes only have a single round for their warhead, based on the same technology that drives Directorate maelstrom torpedoes. However, instead of needing to be anchoreds to the targets hull, a nighthawkl torpedo has a powerful coilgun lining the inside of its casing. On detecting that it is within range of a target, the torpedo signals the warhead to initiate. All remaining drive plasma is forced forwards through a z-pinch device powered by an array of small ultracaps. A larger ultracap fires the coils inside the casing. This causes the plasma stream from the z-pinch device to be cut off and rammed forwards at high velocity, turning the the long, thin stream into a short, tight bolt of plasma.

Impact damage from nighthawk torpedoes appears similar in effect to that of Directorate plasma cannon batteries, although the calibre of the bolts provided by the torpedoes tends to leave larger holes, and the slightly lower velocity tends to inflict more significant thermal damage to the surrounding region.

AM Mines

RSN mines are advanced and incredibly destructive devices. Each contains several kilograms of antimatter, held in suspension by magnetic fields, and arranged into flat sheets around a core of high density metals. Upon deployment, an IFF scanner is activated, searching for any vessel that enters detonation range with returning the correct verification codes.

When the mine detonates, each sheet of antimatter is blasted simultaneously into the metallic core. This yields several gigatonnes of energy, most of it as hard radiation in the form of gamma rays and other ionizing radiation. This can easily the crew of nearby vessels by bremsstrahlung radiation, and the electromagnetic flux caused by the radiation density is enough to overload and destroy any nearby electronics as well as interfere with sensor returns at medium range.

Analysts still question the RSN's use of antimatter, and if they have stock enough to place kilograms in their naval mines, why they don't use it to end the war once and for all, given that they must be producing several tonnes at a time to supply their ships. The answer seems to be both pragmatic, and political. Antimatter is hard to contain, and so using it a stationary area effect munition cuts down on deployment issues. On the political side, the top members of the Rense political party know that if they began to bombard planets in this fashion it would make them as bad as the Terrans; and that it would also unite most of the minor races in the sector against them. Deeper information suggests that they may also be wary of letting the Sorylians anywhere near the technology, given that race's penchant for scientific investigation and advancement.

Hellstorm CIWS

The RSN use an upgraded version of the standard Dindrenzi hellfury CIWS that offers great damage at the expense of rate of fire. Unlike the Dindrenzi navy's normal approach of spacing the turrets evenly around the hull, the RSN clusters them over vital locations in a similar manner to the Terrans. Additional clusters are spaced around the hull to give more even coverage, allowing RSN ships to put up much heavier defensive fire when surrounded by incoming threats.

Attack Craft Weaponry

RSN attack craft use only a single weapon system, in contrast to those of other races. The weapon in question is a variable-charge light railcannon capable of firing flechette bundles for taking out enemy attack craft, or heavy duty penetrator rounds capable of damaging enemy ships at short range. Attack craft classes are thus differentiated not by weaponry, but hull size and power output.

Rense Naval Defenses

The Rense System Navy, like the Dindrenzi, relies on physical armour rtaher than energy shielding to protect its ships. Rather than reinforced superstructures, however, the RSN use advanced ablative armours and have more compartmentalization on lighter vessels to aid their combat endurance.

Suspended Carbon Ablative aRmour (SCAR)

Dindrenzi ICE-II is very tough, and very advanced, but surprisingly the armour used on RSN vessels bears little resemblance to it. That is because RSN vessels have multiple layers of ablative alloyed armour. This is normally iridium—sourced from the Directorate—with nanoscale carbon particles suspended within the metal after it has been melted and sintered back together. The sintered nature of the armour means incoming weapons fire has a tendency to first melt, then spread the tiny metallic particles, at the same time releasing the nanoscale carbon from the breach. Against kinetic weapons this semi-liquefaction of the armour helps remove projectile energy. Against energy weapons, the nanoscale carbon particles impede the beam or bolts progress slightly, absorbing thermal energy and causing small divergences, spreading the beam over a wider surface, reducing damage.

Unlike other armours, SCAR is actualy designed to take catastrophic damage in its stride. Instead of plates or tiles cracking, the damaged armour simply sloughs away as it cools, exposing further layers of armour.

Armouring Strategy & Weapon Placement

Armour on RSN ships tends to run along the spine and keel, with more weight placed towards the fore and dorsal surfaces of the ship. This is due to RSN policy that it should never be retreating, but always facing the enemy. This armour placement also means RSN ships are generally harder to damage that other ships of a similar class, although their critical systems retain the same vulnerabilities as other races'.

Weapon batteries are placed primarily along the flanks of ships, huge armoured shutters protecting them when not in use. Each battery has dozens of guns, each with limited traverse and elevation, but very fine control, allowing them to maintain accuracy at extended ranges. This given special attention on the Phoenix class, whose fore guns each have a narrower than usual arc, but sub-arcsecond angular precision in positioning.

All Rense ships that have torpedoes launch them from ventral tubes aligned with the keel of the ship. The torpedoes are cold launched, dropping inert beneath the vessel, before firing their drives and burning in towards the designated target.