Sign in to follow this  
McKinstry

Tiny Flyer Tokens

Are you using TFT's?

If so, how?

In our games the larger flying stuff is heavily used as are\ obviously, the tanks, but in seeing that fighters cannot initiate combat against other flyers, we've just been ignoring TFT's and I was wondering as to others experience.

Please say 'TFT' when referring to tiny aeroplane tokens and 'flier' to refer to small/medium/large airships, planes etc.

I've only been on the recieving end of tiny bomber runs so far, and they're really good! Twelve red dice hits hard versus anything. I think they'll usually only be making a run every second turn, though? Until the carrier moves into within twelve inches of an opposing battalion. Most carriers have at least six tiny aeroplanes, I guess, so that's a run every turn past the first. American and Brittanian bombers are two inches faster.

Tiny fighter tokens are allowed to shoot fliers with their machineguns. Since tiny bombers can't attack fliers, the tiny fighters can do alright against smalls or mediums if they outflank. They don't have to return to base between attacks, either. A wing of tiny fighters can in practice choose to engage a wing of tiny bombers by sitting next to them (and they can easily choose to steam the distance since they do not shoot the tiny bombers). I doubt the tiny bombers' poor ackack will manage to destroy the fighters, and the bombers must choose to either face the tiny fighters' ackack or sit still for the rest of the game. American tiny fighters aren't good at screening (with only 2 blue ackack) unless they launch as a wing, but they're fast. The Russian tiny fighters might actually be pretty good at outflanking and shooting enemy fliers. Nine blue dice. It's a shame only the Kursk gets them, and only three total. Japanese tiny fighters get blue dice as standard and can steam twenty inches.

The French tiny fliers are... interesting, I guess. The French don't have tiny bombers, they just have tiny fighters with the strafe rule. This means they're terrible against fliers and make weaker attacks than other nations' tiny bombers, and their ackack is no better than anyone else's except the FSA. The sky fortress has three wings of tiny fighters, though, and if they start outflanking some ground units the six red dice might start doing something, especially as they don't return to base unless destroyed. The battalion of Arbaltes cannot combine their tiny fliers into wings - they only launch as singles. This gives them two options. Attempt to screen with four single tiny fighters making ackack rolls of 3 red dice (but they hit on 5+ :( shooting down a wing of three is unlikely), or spot for the rest of the army. Thinking about it, this means four French formations can have very fast, regular-quality almost-invulnerable spotters for the cost of 150 points for the Arbalte battalion and a formation slot.

Polish tiny fighters and recons look wicked awesome, but their tiny bomber attacks are the weakest and they're slower than any others. Their tiny fighters will be shooting nine red dice if they outflank enemy fliers, and they have four red ackack, watch out! :D

Russian tiny recons are a waste. They Kursk is better off launching wings of tiny fighters or bombers. Antarctican tiny recons get to make Veteran-level spotting tests.

Fighters can still use their AA against other fliers and hit on 3+.

I don't understand?