Sign in to follow this  
DanJ

Thoughts on New Rules

Without the Polish, the Russians don't stand a Chance

Sad, but true in the Moment. The Polish Formations are clearly the best Battalion in the RC Armoured Clash Brigade List.

I wonder why the dome drop-on for the Belgorod wasn't used in the list. Giving the Belgorods something like Icon (4", 1 blue dice) would  cleary improve the Disorder Tests of near battalions  - and add to the russian play stile in sticking the smaller and unexperienced units close to the big veteran ones.

The Regrouping rules do not go well with the new activation order. Under the old system, it was possible to move one battalion into contact with another and regroup in the same formation activation.

Because the regrouping rules were not updated with the new activation order, two under-strength battalions must move into base contact and remain in base contact until their next turn. A lot can happen in a turn, and I think they're not likely to be able to regroup. Firstly, your opponent is likely to see what you're doing and has the remainder of the turn and possibly a good portion of the next turn to shoot a battalion off the table. Secondly, battalions that have lost units often already have disorder markers troubling them which means it can take a turn just to get moving. Thirdly, mixed battalions such as American medium tanks are often already unable to regroup depending on what units get destroyed. This is a lot of difficulties to overcome!

I think the regrouping rules need iteration to work better with the new activation order.

I suggest moving the regrouping to between the movement and shooting sections of the activation:

"Two battalions may regroup if both are of the same type and are in the same formation. This is done at the end of the movement segment if they are in base contact and on the same height level. This costs one command point. The battalions may not move further [they may need to move back into coherency?], but count as a single battalion from the beginning of the shooting segment until the end of the game." [add the rules regarding disorder markers and maximum unit size]

This does make regrouping a lot easier. I don't see this as a bad thing, because low-strength battalions are unlikely to be able to do any damage. I think it's fine to let players' models get right back into the fighting instead of sitting on the sidelines. It's a lot more satisfying, it keeps the action, battle and destruction flowing. :D

Command Points still the main issue for me (along with the fact that most of the core nations got HQ boosts apart from the EotBS, which needs them as most units/formations have rockets - 6350pts (11 Regiments) provided 16 command - and 8 of those regiments required spotting CP. Might be Vets, but doesn't make much difference if you can either spend CP on recovering from disorder or spotting. The FSA force I was playing against had 1 less regiment, 24 CP and equalled me in long range weaponry.

Ho Hum, back to the drawing board (and why couldn't the Bombardment regiment have HQ2 - I can only find 4 elements in the EotBS lists a=that have more than 1 CP, and 2 of them are the mobile Airfield/Sky Fortress, so unless really big games, you'll only get 1 of them.

I've played 3 more games with several houserules and i've got the impression that we've got a balanced setup even for smaler games (we use to play 1500P).

Our changes @ 1500 Points:

- we keep the old "I go-You go" mechanism.

- max. 3 large Units (1 Massive counts as 2 Large) - but we've still got the feeling that some large and massive (especially massive) modells are too powerful/resistant for these kind of smaler game sizes.

- before deployment, every player may choose up to 5 cards from his card deck. (we don't use the complete card deck, cause we've simply tossed away cards until we drew good ones... thats too dependant on luck imho). If a player choses to take less than 5 cards, he gets 2 additional Command Points once a Game for every card he didn't take.

I've played  RoF, CoA and RC with these changes and had no problems with little CP or overpowered Formation-Activation. Games use to be faster, because there is no drawing of cards and reading... you know your cards and when to activate them. But you have to manage your CP carefully...