Sign in to follow this  
Mountbatten

Got Sirocco! Also rules in the download section!

I have got my copy of Sirocco today!

The AC rules look fantastic! There are a lot of rather nifty photo diagrams which make things a lot clearer.

I note that the rules are also up in the Downloads section (Along with updated cards and stats!) so I presume it is ok to talk about them!

there are no unit stats in the book, possibly a good thing or I would still be trying to get the thing up the stairs!

Big change is in command points, you get one pre HQ MAR and thats it! So use wisely!

Anyway I will get cracking on the reading to see what the score is. I am playing AC tomorrow so it might be a long night!

Mountbatten.

Hi Mountbatten,

Talk away......not been to the office today - so I guess the banner for the home page talking about the new downloads didn't get turned on. LOL.

Hope your game of AC is enjoyable ........we've been having fun with it. Glad you like the look of the updated AC rules. The writers had fun with that.

I have to say that working on Sirocco was a pleasure for me, I really enjoyed it. Franco did another storming job on the Campaign setting, which despite reading it over and over and over and over again as I designed the book was still fun. Well this sets the tone for the updated version of Pacific Cyclone which will bring the new Aerial Combat rules.

All the best,

Spartan Neil

Looking at FSA, the HQ MAR was increased by one for each large model that had it previously, except the Tennesee, which remains with HQ (1). Looking at the Russians, they appear crippled by the combination of a lack of command points and lack of quality. There was a little too many command points going around before, but now I feel there's going to be too few.

There are some rules omissions that were carried over into this edition, like coming down from flying high, which is a bit disappointing. The 'spotting bonuses' rule was not corrected to be more clear. (http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/5000-my-email-answers/) But some other rules were made clearer, like 'you cannot outflank with bombs' and 'mines won't be set off by the battalion that laid them', which is great.

Hoping to see Sirroco delivered to the local in a few days.

e: Ah, the flying high rule was changed in the flying section of the rule, not the flying high section, and I didn't see it. But it still doesn't say when you stop flying high.

Guest John Bull

I notice in the PE army list that the Sky Fortress HQ MAR is still (2) while  KOB, FSA, ROF have increased to (3). I was disappointed that Pflicht scoutship still does not have a broadside it just seems odd with the model clearly having guns modelled on it.

I do like for my KOB Medium Tank Regiment that the MK1 Sovereign Landship the HQ MAR increased to (2). :)

Guest John Bull

In the revised download the list of contents and the game markers have been ommitted are these in Sirocco?

On page 51 under Company Strength it states that an infantry token cannot have a company strength of more than 6. In the paragraph headed Infantry Tokens making ranged attacks the example is of a Token with a company strength of 12! I think Spartan need to clarify this.

I think here is an misread. One Token has an maximum companystrength of 6 (although AC didn't use the Fatigue Rule so one Token has enough room for an companystrength of 12). I think there really mean the companystrength of one Infantrybatallion when one Token has one Dice per Strength. Did you read the that if an unit Battalion has a companystrength over 6, you have to add more tokens? But I think, the example would be clearer if they would write "Infantry Batallion" instead of "Infantry Token". But this is only my opinion.

In the Campagnebook these rules are at page 162-163 but these are the same as in the Download. To Answer the first Question. In the book is only the rulesection (like in the pdf). The other content like cards and armylist is only available in the downloadsection.

Guest John Bull

It is not a misread on my part but confusion caused by what is written in part 15 of Armoured Clash. Ithink that in the case of infantry battalions Spartan should have talked of battalion and not company strength.

Yes I agree with you it is quite clear that a token represents a company and can only have a maximum strength of 6, the rules remain unchanged from the first pdf. That if a battallion has a company strength of more than 6 you add more tokens. So my KOB Line Infantry battalion with a company strength of 24 will have 4 tokens.  

The example goes on to state that if an infantry token had an assault and ranged attack value of 1 dice and a company strength of 12 you would role 12 dice. You cannot have a company strength more than 6 so how can you have an example that talks of 12. I can see some rule lawyer type trying to argue that this shows the 4 tokens in a KOB battalion each throw 24 dice as the army list states this is the company strength!!

To me it seems clear the intention is that my KOB Battalion can pool 24 dice from all 4 tokens. I hope someone from Spartan is reading our posts as with the best will in the world never read a set of rules that did not have typos or something left in that should have been changed because of a rule alteration in the development.

Got that game in. Prussians vs Suns doing a breakthrough.

Our dice rolling was particularly poor, it was turn 3 before anything was damaged!

It was a lot easier to check things, the rules are defiantly tightened up.

The command points was a little divisive. we both agreed that the actual number of command points we had was fine. We could not do as much as we could before obviously but it gave a nice feel of them being precious resources that must be spent wisely. Some game cards were played, just with more forward planning. The exception to this is reaction cards.Because the CP is paid by the formation wanting to use them we got almost none played as you really can't know beforehand if you will need to use a reaction, and you don't really have the command points spare to put on formations 'just in case'.

My opponent was not a fan of having to allocate CPs at the beginning of the turn for this reason. I want to get a few more games in first before deciding.

Overall though had a blast!