• Introducing Tactical Manoeuvres and Targeted Strikes
• New Boarding Rules
• Tactical Ability Cards
• Tournament Play Rules
• Support for Extensive Terrain Types
• Improved Victory Condition Engine and more Scenarios

Um, everything we asked for right!

Oh and:

In addition to the new core rulebook, two Alliance Books are heading to the Storm Zone:

• Zenian League
• Alliance of Kurak

So totally sweet! I am a raving fan of Spartan again. Wait that is still!

I will also announce that The Black Ocean will do its best to coordinate with Spartan to have Armybuilder for Firstorm ready when the new rules come out. Of course we will FULLY support this new version with documents and Fleet Recognition. Looks like it will be a busy winter...

Very, VERY nice to see this!    :)

Thanks SG!

Dammit! Now we won't see a single poster respond to this thread if he/she has a NDA.  :P

(any hints about moving to a D8?)     Joking!  :D

I will take a stab here:

Tactical Ability cards are probably the first step in getting rid of the STAR cards and coming up with a new format of 'tactical cards' that effect the course of the game dependent on which type of ships are fielded.

A streamlined version of what used to be the STAR cards, no?   :ph34r:

Sounds interesting.

I like that it looks like we will get more tactical options that i always want :-D (maneauvers, terrain, tac ability cards)

It also sounds like quite a few changes. I hope this wont drive away some ppl here.

The models sound like a new wave of MKIIs for almost all (old) models. Wonder whats happening with the marauder factions.

Welllllll....I am ecstatic really, hopefully it'll be more interactive, smoother flowing, and generally better. Well, I know it will be, the question is, by how much.

Also, please, give Hawker full Rense Treatment (making them into de facto full fleet) ;)

New weapon systems? yes please!

I've been thinking about trying to introduce more people at my club to firestorm, might just hold it off a little longer ( and give me time to make more terrain!)

Do not hold off! Get them thinking about Firestorm now! Show them the beautiful models and the easy to learn, hard to master rules we currently have. If I know Spartan the rules will be even more streamlined this time around!

Hi Pok,

The plan is for the alliance nations to be 'padded' out so that they will form game legal fleets in their own right. What I can't tell you is which order this is happening it - mainly because the guys haven't told me yet!

So yes to Hawker getting fleshed out. Hope this helps.

Spartan Neil

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/a-big-bang

Awesome news! Very excited to get some details on what the second edition will bring, sounds like a big shake up!

Also sounds like I will take the plunge on Invasion with more races.

That was my thought as well Mountbatten, holding off to take the plunge on Invasion till they did something like this.  B)

Now that's a nice warm and fuzzy feeling, knowing that the AoK is getting fleshed out more.  Pure Veydreth fleets tangling with a Ba'Kash swarm.... -dreamy sigh-

Hi Again,

Time to head home shortly.......but before I do, I'll try to add some more flesh to things.

Alliance Fleet Composition: let's see. I don't know the alliance stuff well enough to say that fleet comp won't be affected, but I shall check on it. The format for the Alliance Books is fun and I can't wait for them to be done. I know all the alliance races are getting 'tweaked', which means new models. Some much more than others, but this is about getting them all to a level of parity. Much more to come on this stuff for you.

The 2.0 book: always a fun subject, even with us. The first go at a new engine was cracking and I loved it, but it would have literally split our community of FA gamers down the middle. it was too much, well I felt it was. So that new engine was put back on a shelf. So we went back to FA and took a look at it from the very basics. We went back to the language of the book, how we showed diagrams, and then we debated what we wanted to achieve and how we would deliver it in a way that left you happy, and not feeling done over.

If I had a crystal ball I would love to tell you that what we have done will make you all happy. But not being able to see the future and not being dumb enough to bet we've achieved such a thing, all I can say is that we've looked hard at the game and listened closely to what we believe you guys want. At the core of the changes is keeping FA......well FA. The engine is recognisable, the additions build into the framework that exists. Areas like fighters and boarding have been changed, but within the framework of the game. We've worked to make sure your investment in our models isn't lost. Making a new book that forces you to dump what you own, having to buy XYZ just to play FA, well that isn't cricket is it!?

Calling the book FA 1.5 3/4 would have been kina silly of us, so here we have 2.0. Is it better? Well you can bet we believe it is, but one thing is certain - our FA community will let us know! I can't wait for you guys to get hold if 2.0. I am sure there are those who will want to stay with FA as it is, and that is always there choice.

OK, Over to Caine-HoA now. When I was working on the Dystopian Legions hardback rulebook I built a game mechanic that allowed players to control and record the ebb and flow of a battle. I wanted players to be able to see, and therefore feel the cause and effect, of winning or losing. To this I added a card mechanic. While chatting about FA I added a relatively crude variant to FA 2.0, and asked the lead writer to have a chew over adding it to our world of spaceships. It stuck and was reworked some more to mesh into 2.0. I am going to get Chris to blog about this for you all over the coming weeks, so we can flesh out what FA 2.0 brings to the party. He added Tactical Ability cards.....but he's a better person to fill in the blanks than me.

And to Caine-HoA's tanks query: Sorylians are first to be unveiled and then Relthoza. So your ground vehicles won's be last to see an airing.

Hope this helps guys!

All the best,

Spartan Neil

Humm. Sounds like good changes so far. I imagine that the Marauders will at least get the rest of their models if not fully fleshed out like the alliance fleets?

I also wonder if the STAR cards are going to remain useful with the new cards as an add on or are they going to be compleatly replaced... An expansion like MotR's cards would be nice fir those that use the cards currently.

Neil,

Thanks for taking the time to address the community personally, it adds a welcome touch and gives us some insight to your designs and approach.

Lots to see and do here as, since I'm never shy, I'll add my two ducats as always.

Every time I see news of a new addition I am left with a mixed bag of feelings. On the one hand, I have played lot of FA 1.5 (the current edition) in the last four months and they've been some of the best games I've had of anything in that past few years. So I don't want to see that ruined and so, my stomach sinks a bit. On the other hand, sometimes new editions come along and take something you like into something you love. Version 1.0 for me was a good game but not one I wanted to invest heavily in. Some aspects of the game I disliked (hated the boarding rules, hated how point defense forced fleets to cluster into little static balls) and my chosen race the Aquans had a hard time of it. Then V1.5 came along and while there were certainly issues the game (for me) became 10x more fun to play. So there is an example of things getting better.

And yet, like many others, there have been tons of editions from many game companies that have left me unhappy. So much so that I've left those games and communities (rather than stay on just to make everyone else miserable and ruin the game for new players!). It is my sincere hope that doesn't happen here, but if it does, I'll man up and move along.

In the end I hope that my beloved Aquans remain a strong playable faction, that balance and care goes into the new rules and that the new elements that are added have been playtested and add new tactics and new ways of having fun. There's a fine line between complexity and simply being complicated; having playtested and worked on rules editions for seven game companies I know it isn't easy to do!

I am really looking forward to seeing the new boxed sets. I hope the new Aquan one follows the majestic look of the early Aquans and perhaps adds new twists while maintaining the beauty of ships like the Manta and the Stingray and the Tsunami.  Any hope we can see some previews of these new boxed sets soon?

Lastly, regardless of what happens, I'd like to thank Spartan for the work they've done, the wonderful game they support and the great figures they've made. Even if the new game isn't what I'd want it to be, I can safely enjoy the fleets of 35 painted ships I have for all time to come and for that I'm grateful.

Looking forward to new excitement, seeing new models and hearing about the changes!

Brian K.

Zak

You know it always makes me feel so good (warm and fuzzy in fact) when the Owner of the Company posts in the forums and treats the players with respect.  That's one of the big reasons why I enjoy all the games Spartan puts out.  Not to mention all the amazing sculpts!

Thank you very much, Neil!

-J