Zookie

ETA on new hardcover rule book?

If you mean a next version? No.

If you mean a comeback of the actual version to the SG shop, i dont think its planned, but you still can get it from many retailers.

At the moment the official version is in the download section of the website and there is no upcoming version hardcover rulebook announced.

Here's to hoping we have seen the last of print rulebooks for this industry! I have been, and will be a advocate for pdf rules. The updating process is so much easier and it doesn't kill trees. Add in that you can search a pdf for the rules you need! If we really need a paper rulebook then each person can print one on their own.

Generally i agree that aPDF is enough. However i see some advantages of a real book. E.g. it can be more comfortable to read in, it feels more of a posession of a game, its not software dependend (you will be able to read and play the rules in 10 years no matter if there is still PDF format and devices for it) and i guess some more.

Hi All,

There is a new FA Hardback book in the works. As to the demise of printed books..........well I like printed books and therefore Spartan Games has no plans to make them go away.

Cheers,

Spartan Neil

And when the general speaks we all listen. Thanks for setting me straight Neil, lol. Looks like the Black Ocean now supports printed books!

Now about those renders...

I like printed books too - even though I love my kindle and PDF/Digital books!

Remember a PDF downloaded online doesn't look all that impressive in the game store - in fact a few printed sheets on someones home printer stapled together look pretty tatty after a few games. Spartan wants to sell and part of selling is looking professional and quality; not just in the models, but in all areas. Having the option of printed, colourful and quality books on the shop shelves and for players to use is a big bonus in this industry - yes we can all agree that PDF allows for easier and instant updates to be rolled out without the same problems as rolling out new print editions of the main book is; but the printed book still has its bonus. 

I really do prefer to flip the pages of a physical book. That being said, the ability to have an instant rules update in digital format carries a lot more weight for me personally. Its more important to me that i'm playing with the latest, most balanced version of the rules. Yes, my crappy ipad 1 takes longer than i would like to load PDF pages but that's my own fault.

And for the record I really hope that for the next book they improve the page layout and design and use better fonts.

To respond to the OP's question: I have no idea; haven't heard anything.

Looks like I'm in the minority here, lol. I can admit that and I will be buying the Hardback cover rulebook when it comes out. Just to support Spartan because they are great even if they don't think exactly like I do...

Im not exactly on the book side i have to say.

Taking everything into account im more of a PDF guy as you chris. I just wanted to show some advantages of real books, that doesnt mean i see even more advantages with PDFs :-D

Gotta agree with the majority of the people on this thread , books that feel professionaly done make you feel more attached to the game system and company that makes them than any pdf file can , at least that's how I feel .

And +1 to alexmans suggestion for a source book for armada as it could be used to give us campaign scenarios and maybe expand the setting like moving the storm zone story along by 6months or even just more backround material for the big 6 factions

Gotta agree with the majority of the people on this thread , books that feel professionaly done make you feel more attached to the game system and company that makes them than any pdf file can , at least that's how I feel .

And +1 to alexmans suggestion for a source book for armada as it could be used to give us campaign scenarios and maybe expand the setting like moving the storm zone story along by 6months or even just more backround material for the big 6 factions

Or even rolling it back to the, well for lack of a better name 'Wars of First Contact'.  Or the Fall of Dramos.

Hi All,

There is a new FA Hardback book in the works. As to the demise of printed books..........well I like printed books and therefore Spartan Games has no plans to make them go away.

Cheers,

Spartan Neil

Huzzah!

I love to have both print and PDF in my possession. Print is more pleasant for me to read through, but modern electronic devices make PDF more efficient to carry along to a game or convention.

Hi All,

Cheers,

Spartan Neil

Will this be a simple compilation of the original rules/fleets with the Marauders of the Rift added or are we looking at a more substantial change to the game?

While we are all waiting with great anticipation for a new version, am I the only one who thinks that the current version is rather good, but certainly needs better editing and layout?

This is a matter that had been hotly debated in the past, hopefully not so much come the first quarter of 2014... yes?

I hope they bring back the same writing crew from the first book, which to me set a high standard to follow.

I must say that, while the basic rules seems solid (haven't really had a chance to try them out yet), some of the rules are a bit odd, some are badly explained, and the book itself could use a bit of editing.

What really, in my opinion, could use a makeover are the ship-cards themselves. The layout is bad and the sheer number of abbreviations are highly confusing.