Sign in to follow this  
BenOne

AC rulebook rules clarifications

Hello! These are some situations or rules that may need additional explanation or clarification from the Armoured Clash main rulebook. Some are a little obvious, but a clarification is never unwelcome, I feel.

I've added the most relevant page numbers in bold type. The page numbers refer to the most recent downloadable PDF copy of Armoured Clash.

GENERAL

• When a player is eligible to re-roll dice (e.g. "You Forgot to Carry the One, Sir" game card), does the re-roll carry over bonuses (such as raising the dice colour level) from the first roll? Also, may the player assign bonuses to the second roll when the first roll did not have that bonus? (3)
  • A skimmer counts as a size class larger when drawing line of sight to or from it, but is it also supposed to count as a size class larger when drawing line of sight over it? Additionally, should a skimmer count as a size class larger when attempting to make a spotting test against it? (36)

TERRAIN

• Can a flying, underground or skimming unit benefit from a road? (roads are listed in the terrain table as only giving the Road rule to certain unit types) (20)
  • Is the size of a flyer or an underground driller increased by a level (large > massive) when on a hill? (the terrain table again. Drillers are technically not effected by any terrain even while on the surface) (20)
  • Should surface-level drillers be effected by terrain? At the moment they are not effected by any terrain nor do they recieve benefits. (20)
  • (New 18/09) There is no size class greater than Massive. If a Massive-size unit is on top of a hill with the elevated rule, can it draw line of sight over another Massive-size unit that is not on the hill? (9, 23)
  • (New 20/09) If a unit enters terrain, it takes a bogging down test. If it passes the test, does it take bogging down tests when it moves inside the terrain on subsequent turns? Or is the bogging down test only made upon entering terrain?

COMMAND

• Command points are assigned to a formation by placing them next to the Command Unit. Does this mean that Command Points cannot be assigned to a formation after the Command Unit has been destroyed? (25)
  • Page 24 of the rulebook says flying high units cannot use command abilities. Page 29 says a unit flying high needs an additional success to pass a command ability test. Please can you clarify? (this was sorted in the new rulebook edition) (29, 32)
  • (New 20/09) Reserves arrive after the command point phase. May command points be assigned to formations off the table? What happens to those command points if those formations do not pass their roll to enter the table? What pool are command points spent from to improve the test to enter the table?

FLYERS

• How and when does a flying high battalion stop flying high? (31)
  • Can a flyer be made to take a bogged down check by a WAR or game card? What happens, especially with flyers with the momentum MAR? (21, 57)
  • May bombing runs be made on a flyer battalion? (41)
  • Does a flyer or underground driller set off a mine? Are flyers and underground units damaged by mines exploding? Are mines considered to fire from a certain Height Level? Do mines suffer penalties to hit Flying High units? (32, 39)

DRILLERS

• When a driller emerges from underground and unloads infantry, but does not move further, does emerging count as a move action for the purposes of determining if the infantry may activate this turn? (32)
  • Is a large underground driller still large size when underground? Can line of sight be drawn to it over other battalions? (36)

INFANTRY BATTALIONS AND TINY FLYERS

• If the maximum battalion size of an infantry battalion was 30 (five tokens), and two infantry battalions wished to regroup, where each battalion was three tokens of 6, 6 and 3 (total six tokens), do they regroup into a battalion of 30 on five tokens? (28)
  • Destroying an infantry token using a weapon with sheaf fire WAR makes the battalion take a bogging down test, but what value do the bogging down dice roll against? (21, 51, 60)
  • Whenever a rule applying to units is applied to an infantry battalion, how should those rules be applied? How does an exploding mine damage infantry battalions of more than one token, and where is the damage applied? (39, 51)
  • When a tiny flyer begins its activation within ack ack range of a battalion, and does not move, is it shot by ack ack? If a battalion moves into ack ack range of a tiny flyer wing, may the battalion fire ack ack at the wing? (probably no and no?) (53)
  • (New 20/09) Should tiny aeroplane wings affect enemy disorder checks within 8"?
  • (New 20/09) When a transport is destroyed, the infantry tokens inside roll to see if they survive. If they do, the infantry battalion arrives on the board with a disorder marker. If two tokens in a battalion of 12 survive, should they start with two disorder markers?
  • (New 20/09) Why do tiny bombers have a range value on their bombs?

SHOOTING

• Is a spotting test made at the start of a formation's ranged attack sequence OR after declaring attacks but before any formations begin making any attacks OR before the spotting battalion makes its attacks? (35)
  • May an attack that has both the rocket and bombardment WARs combine fire with an attack that has the bombardment WAR? (probably no?) (35)
  • Must ranged attacks from a single battalion be made at the same time? For example, may the Speerwurf Light Zeppelin choose to fire its Speerschleuder by itself before the rest of its battalion fire their Tesla Turrets, to take advantage of the lightning rod WAR? (35)
  • What happens when a weapon with the mines MAR is fired at the ground within 4 inches of a battalion or several battalions? Does the mine explode when a battalion moves or immediately? (39)
  • May a unit fire bombs if it moves full steam ahead? (31, 41)
  • Can a unit firing bombs outflank its target? Which side must the bomber have approached from to gain the outflank bonus? (also sorted in the new edition) (41)
  • Can you please expand upon the rules for making a bombing run? (41)
  • When a battalion is eligible to roll both shield and ack-ack dice against an incoming attack, are the pools calculated and rolled at the same time or one after another? (22, 41, 63)
  • When a unit with multiple kill ratings recieves enough damage to remove more than one kill rating and is eligible to roll shield dice, does it roll a multiple of dice per kill rating removed? (22, 63)
  • (New 20/09) A shooting attack removes models in mixed units in a certain order depending on how close they are to the firing battalion. In what order are models removed from bombing attacks?

MARs

• Does at unit with the assault weapon MAR reduce a target's kill rating or assault point value when it rolls enough successes to meet the target's kill rating? (probably kill rating?) (55)
  • Armoured topside and armoured belly MARs have different descriptions between the rulebook and battalion entries. For example, the FSAAF Aerial Support Asset's entry describes armoured topside working only against units on the flying level, while the rulebook's armoured topside works against any unit on a higher height level. (probably rulebook is correct?) (55, FSA Datasheets)
  • The drone MAR is also inconsistant between CoA datasheets and the rulebook, or worded poorly. If a unit with the drone MAR can draw line of sight to a unit with drone controller MAR, does it have to pay a command point to move or shoot? (probably rulebook is correct?) (56, CoA Datasheets)
  • Can the icon MAR's additional dice, when added to a disorder check of four red dice, increase that command check's dice to more than four red dice? Can the icon MAR's dice's colour level be increased? (56)
  • Does the Icon MAR stack when a battalion is within range of several units with Icon, and how does it stack? (56)
  • How is a boarding action resolved where only some units in a battalion (FSA land train) have impervious MAR? (43, 57)
  • A unit without the observation platform MAR attempts to spot a large unit with observation platform. Does the target unit count as a massive-size model? (probably no?) (57)

WARs

• A mine's explosion radius is 4", but the range of mines on engineer infantry is also 4". This means that the infantry cannot move away from the mine without triggering it and must be in the radius when it explodes. Is this the intention? (the updated mines rules mention this) (39)
  • Does the energy weapon WAR negate shield dice from terrain? (22, 59)
  • Can a ground unit with the barrage WAR target flying high units within range band one? Does it suffer the -1 penalty against underground units? (59)
  • How does the strafe WAR interact with flying high? Can a unit with strafe target underground units in range band one? (32, 60)
  • Can units with the indirect fire WAR fire at units on other height levels within 8 inches? (the only rule restricting fire within 8" is a line of sight restriction) (36, 60)

GENERATORS

• Can Mimic Generators be chained? For example, if a mimic generator takes the effect of a fury generator, and the fury generator's unit then dies, may a second mimic generator take the effect of the fury generator off the first mimic generator? (65)
  • If a mimic generator mimics a generator that has additional effects when the unit is destroyed, does it replicate those effects? (65)

GAME CARDS

• When a game card adding a number of dice to an attack dice pool is played on a battalion firing rocket, bomb or bombardment weapons, may the additional dice count as rocket, bomb or bombardment dice? (35, Game Cards)
  • Can the 'Good Tank Country' game card be used on any unit, not just tanks? (probably yes?) (Game Cards)
  • Is the "Dud!" card played before or after shield and ackack dice are rolled? (Game Cards)

That's a great set of questions. I've been wondering if the rules included in Operation Sirocco will be updated from the .pdf on the site. Have you e-mailed these questions to Spartan as well?

Thanks for the suggestion, I've emailed Spartan now. I also added some more questions - it seems strange that a small unit can draw line of sight over a medium unit to an underground driller.

The final question came up when a battalion of Russian field guns decided to fire on a John Henry robot with their effective range dice! They knocked the poor robot right out of the air.

At some point I'd like to see an actual Spartan employee answer these questions here. It would show customer interaction and interest in keeping players interested. I enjoy Armored Clash very much, but I too require some of these very same questions to be clarified. Give us a sign that you do indeed read your own forum, please.

I can at least answer some of these:

Does the energy weapon MAR negate shield dice from terrain?

Yes.

May a unit fire bombs if it moves full steam ahead?

No, full steam ahead doesn't allow shooting.

Can a flying, underground or skimming unit benefit from a road?

RAW, yes, is it logical, no.

Does at unit with the assault weapon MAR reduce a target's kill rating or assault point value when it rolls enough successes to meet the target's kill rating?

KR.

Can a flyer be made to take a bogged down check by a WAR or game card? What happens, especially with flyers with the momentum MAR?

Yes, as for what happens, either you could argue they are destroyed or that they only do their minimal move.

Can a unit firing bombs outflank its target? Which side must the bomber have approached from to gain the outflank bonus?

Yes, the models have to be behind the target at the moment of the bombing so they have to arrive from the front of the target.

If the maximum battalion size of an infantry battalion was 30 (five tokens), and two infantry battalions wished to regroup, where each battalion was three tokens of 6, 6 and 3 (total six tokens), do they regroup into a battalion of 30 on five tokens?

My guess would be no.

May bombing runs be made on a flyer battalion?

Yes.

When a tiny flyer begins its activation within ack ack range of a battalion, and does not move, is it shot by ack ack? If a battalion moves into ack ack range of a tiny flyer wing, may the battalion fire ack ack at the wing?

No and no.

Can the icon MAR's additional dice, when added to a disorder check of four red dice, increase that command check's dice to more than four red dice? Can the icon MAR's dice's colour level be increased?

No and yes.

A unit without the observation platform MAR attempts to spot a large unit with observation platform. Does the target unit count as a massive-size model?

Yes.

May an attack that has both the rocket and bombardment WARs combine fire with an attack that has the bombardment WAR?

Technically yes.

Can a ground unit with the barrage WAR target flying high units within range band one? Does it suffer the -1 penalty against underground units?

No.

If a mimic generator mimics a generator that has additional effects when the unit is destroyed, does it replicate those effects?

Yes, s, kaboom goes the landship :P

Is the size of a flyer or an underground driller increased by a level (large > massive) when on a hill?

RAW yes.

Can the 'Good Tank Country' game card be used on any unit, not just tanks?

Yes.

Must ranged attacks from a single battalion be made at the same time? For example, may the Speerwurf Light Zeppelin choose to fire its Speerschleuder by itself before the rest of its battalion fire their Tesla Turrets, to take advantage of the lightning rod WAR?

Attacks are sequenced so you may get the Speerscleuder effect.

• Destroying an infantry token using a weapon with sheaf fire WAR makes the battalion take a bogging down test, but what value do the bogging down dice roll against?

0, they don't have a KR, in the same way, by RAW CoA infantry is indestructible while under ground :P .

Armoured topside and armoured belly MARs have different descriptions between the rulebook and battalion entries. For example, the FSAAF Aerial Support Asset's entry describes armoured topside working against flyers, while the rulebook's armoured topside works against any unit on a higher height level.

In that perticular case it doesn't mater as the only units that can be on a higher level than a flying unit are other flying units.

Thanks for the reply. I generally agree, but for some of these the RAW doesn't really feel right (it's a game, I know :P), like in the case of flyers on hills, or it feels like there's a rule missing, as in the cases of bogging down vs. infantry or flyers. I disagree on your interpretation of observation platform, rockets combining with bombardment and battalions shooting attacks in sequence, but that's why I bring the questions up, to have them answered :D

In the case of bombs and full steam ahead, it makes most sense if they cannot shoot after going full steam ahead (that's the intended tradeoff, after all), but it makes dropping bomb off of the large airships that have them almost impossible, which seems a waste. FSA Valley can only drop bombs on a single-rank battalion of ironclads - if it started its move in base contact with the enemy ironclads. FSA Savannah is unable to fly over an enemy battalion due to its 4" move and large base. Other nations' airships have similar problems. On the other hand, being able to drop bombs while going full steam ahead makes bomb attacks with small and medium flyers very very easy. Too easy, really. I agree with your interpretation, but the bombing rules should be expanded or the inclusion of bombs on these units' profiles should be reconsidered.

I changed the armoured topside question because I wrote it wrong.

It's been a week since I emailed Spartan Rules, so I hope to get a reply or a post soon.

I disagree on your interpretation of observation platform

Reading the rule again I saw that I was wrong, it's only bigger on it's own turn when spotting (kind of stupid if you ask me but ok).

rockets combining with bombardment

I said yes to that because while going through the rules I didn't see anything saying you couldn't (it wouldn't be very smart as the way the rules are written, all dice could be canceled).

battalions shooting attacks in sequence

That was mainly because thats the way it works in DW, also an activation is at least equivalent to half an hour of moving and shooting, I think that leaves a bit of time to stager said attacks.

I changed the armoured topside question because I wrote it wrong.

It's definitely the rulebook version that is corect, else the MAR is useless.

In the case of bombs and full steam ahead, it makes most sense if they cannot shoot after going full steam ahead (that's the intended tradeoff, after all), but it makes dropping bomb off of the large airships that have them almost impossible, which seems a waste. FSA Valley can only drop bombs on a single-rank battalion of ironclads - if it started its move in base contact with the enemy ironclads. FSA Savannah is unable to fly over an enemy battalion due to its 4" move and large base. Other nations' airships have similar problems.

TBH I think they are made to carpet bomb stationary positions, after all these are airships, they weren't built to beat any speed record or pull off acrobatic flying tricks.

like in the case of flyers on hills, or it feels like there's a rule missing, as in the cases of bogging down vs. infantry or flyers.

Agreed, though the infantry not taking bogging tests does make sens.

The poor airships, though, don't have the movement to make it over any stationary position to bomb it. The only large flyers with useful bombs are the Brittanian and Antarctic ones, and that's because they have the mines WAR. The Antarctic flyer has six inches of movement as well, which does mean that if your opponent is kind enough to line their tanks lengthwise in base contact of the front of your airship, you can bomb them.

The flyers with four-inch moves can't bomb a line of ants, though. The only description we have for the bombs rule is that you pause moving after moving over a target, then fire. We know there's no circumstance where your base will be over another unit's, and bombs must be in the aft arc.

I guess this means that if your airship begins its move alongside an enemy unit, turns 45 degrees to overlap a small amount of the back of its base, then uses its three remaining inches to move off, it might be able to bomb, depending on how bombing's intended to work (do you have to go all the way over a unit or just nick it with your base like this?). But this is getting very circumstantial and fiddly, and the bombs seem a waste of a weapon on large flyers. They work just fine on other flyers without full steam ahead, though.

I don't see how dice would be cancelled with rockets and bombardment? I think that a rocket+bombardment cannot be combined with just bombardment, and they roll their attack pools separately.

For seqencing attacks, I don't think we can call on that one. Prussian players would probably choose to combine all the battalion's dice with the speerschleuder to give it the best chance of getting the required damage in, anyway.

For armoured topside, it's possible the FSAAF version is deliberately different because it's on an airship, but again I don't think it can be called. I agree that the rulebook MAR's probably the correct one.

For observation platform, I think it can be read both ways?

I don't see how dice would be cancelled with rockets and bombardment? I think that a rocket+bombardment cannot be combined with just bombardment, and they roll their attack pools separately.

The rules are kind of murky in that section, the best course is probably to disallow combining rockets and non rockets.

For observation platform, I think it can be read both ways?

The MAR says:

"Additionally, the Unit with the Observation Platform MAR counts as one Size Category larger for the purposes of Line of Sight when making Spotting Attempts."

The way it's worded means that the battalion is considered larger only it is making the spotting attempt.

Sorry for the double post :( Some of these questions were answered definitively in the new edition of the rules in Operation: Sirocco, and some terrain rules I had misunderstood. The OP has been updated.