Sign in to follow this  
patton4014

Force building

I have the rules and the models (still painting) but I have not yet had the chance to play. 

Has anyone played enough yet to recomend certain build or better units to focus on?

I play EOTBS so I would like to hear about those but I am interested in all feedback.

I'm just getting started and have played 4 games so far with my Prussians. So far I can say that basic Armoured units are very consistently good.

Artillery is nice, but too much will swallow up all of you CP.

I'm still getting the hang of infantry. I think they can be good, but I don't feel I've used them correctly yet.

Aircraft are fun, but not as strong as ground units. Strafe is an important ability for aircraft.

I've only played Prussians but the longer ranged FSA and EOTBS units are tough and certainly make controlling the air vital (curse all John Henry's).

Artillery is expensive but deadly if they can fire indirect with spotting.

Regularly play EotBS, though at between 3000-4500pts (so choice is generally not an issue). Here are my thoughts.

Go big with the Armoured Cavalry Regiments (full strength is around 670pts, but nothing smaller than 2 medium tank, 1 Ironclad - the Ironclad are killers if you can get them close, as due to point blank they get RED die under 4"). No experience with infantry, Ashigaru Regiment under paint at present, but they appear to be a form of short support artillery

You NEED artillery, even at minimum strength (the walker will keep on giving, and if it stays within 8" of the Bombards, they get the benefit of the 'Obs Platform' MAR). Expensive, but worth every penny.

Walker Detachments need to include the MK11 Ronin for the Cloud Generator, and are really just a move manoeuvrable Armoured Cavalry Group. As for the 'Flying Squid', great support unit but never got in into contact with the enemy (bullet magnet).

If possible, some sort of TFT provider (I like the sky fortress, but have a walking airfield in paint at present), especially if your opponent uses them.

The one thing you, and your opponent, will learn to love/hate is Rockets. We have silly amounts of them on some units, with RED die normal. They get shot down, so aren't 'quite' as powerful as people think - but with range and the ability to move and fire, they are your initial strength (and cause to burn CP - expect to spend at least 3-4 CP, dependant on units available, on spotting).

To me, the Battalion box is a good core, but not a functional force. You need artillery. A standard 1500pt force for me will be 2 Armoured Cavalry Regiments and a Bombardment Regiment. I have tried without a Bombardment Regiment, replacing it with a Walker Detachment and, I think, A Sky Fortress. Really miss the long range initial strikes, and that kind of fixed the Artillery as a must in my lists. (to be honest, when I build a force, I ALWAYS include 2 Armoured Cavalry and 1 Bombardment Regiment as standard, rather like compulsory troops)

Thanks for the advice Kbog.  I have most of what I need to build with from buying the land boxes on sale from mini market and picking up the other land items from packs.

I play air heavy in normal DW so I have plenty of air support.  I like the sky forts my self and love the walking land ship (have 2, yea 50% sale and local store).