graeme27uk

Citadel / Vallejo / other

I'm all over the place, dependent on the color I want and the quality of coverage. GW are my go-to all around paints, but I prefer Vallejo for more real-world colors and the P3 paints seem to have better coverage for whites, beiges and better metallics. 

The majority of my paints are Vallejo. Mostly because I have had problems with citadel paints in the past, although I do find some of the citadel range still get the job I need done and some of their colours are just better for the job.

I use oil based paints.  It is what I started with many years ago so I am used to the way they work.  I use model master mostly as that is left out there.  There are also some nice colors in both oil and water based paints for model trains floquil and another.  I do 'cheat' now and use washes from the evil and never-to-be-cursed-enough GW instead of making my own. 

For bush work on my DW ships I've predominatly used Revell acrlyic and some GW (mostly for metallics and washes) When airbrushing I used thinned down Tamiya and more recently Vallejo Model Air the main thinner I use is Tamiya X20A. Must admitt I'm pretty impressed with Vallejo paints and will be using them more.

I also use oil washes, that is oil paint heavily thinned down with white spirit, I keep the washes in empty Tamiya jars. The olil wash works best if the surface is sealed with a varnish, like Pledge Multi Surface wax, that realy helps the the thinner to flow into the crevaces. It also provides a good base for decals and then a second coat helps seal the decal in.

I to have some old GW that I really like. The last several years I have switched to Vallejo for the majority of my paint. I also have Reaper/Howard Hughes/Testors Acrlics which all have certain colors I really like.

I swear by Vallejo myself, with some Army Painter for metallics and to plug a few gaps in the range. I also use GW washes, but I'm a little annoyed that they seem to change the colours on them every few months (and that the newest batch seems much thinner than the previous range... :/ ).

I've switch to Vallejo, it just goes on that much better.  Plus cleaning the brushes is a snap with a little rubbing alcohol.  I do have some Citadel stuff here still, but I've pretty much stop using/buying it.  Way too expensive for what you get, plus it dries up when you're not looking.  I also love the Vallejo Model Air Primer and Thinner, the stuff is amazing through an airbrush.  A few drops of thinner with any Vallejo paint and it just flows through my airbrush.

I use mostly Vallejo. On my fleet I use the Vallejo Model Colour Black Green as my main colour.

For metallics, I use (old) Citadel generally, though I have a few pots from other manufacturers around. I'm trying out some others now, like Tamiya since Citadel changed manufacturers.

I still use the old and new Citadel washes, along with Vallejo transparents (they do very different jobs).

I use mostly old Citadel paints, which I replace when one is empty or dried out. I have replaced some with Vallejo and others with the new Citadel paints. So far I'm quite happy with the new Citadels, especially the base paints are a huge improvement over the old stir-them-with-a-wooden-stick Foundation paints.  

Vallejo has good quality paints, some better than Citadel, some not. However, I am not a fan of dropper bottles. I find those much harder to dose correctly. I tend to paint small numbers of models at once, so I only need a small amount of paint, and with dropper bottles I quickly end up with too much paint on my palette. And this may just be me doing something wrong, but some bottles will always give a lot of air bubbles before any paint comes out...

Well what paint you like to use is a very subjective question lol.

I use P3 and Foundry mostly at the moment. Although Vallejo model air has been used a lot on my most recent painting project, because I am using an airbrush (or learning to) and they don't really need thinning for use with it like the others do.