YouLookLikeANail

Radio Network Without Cards

As discussed recently elsewhere, a lot of people don't use the STAR cards, but there isn't much to do with Radio Network MAR if you don't use the cards.  It's been suggested that the MAR should do something else in the absence of STAR cards.

My proposal:

• Whichever player has Radio Network advantage may re-roll their Initiative dice.  If they choose to re-roll they must keep the results of the second roll.
  • Check for Radio Network advantage at the start of each turn, before rolling for initiative.
  • If only one player has any units with the Radio Network MAR, that player has the advantage.
  • If both players have such units, each rolls 1d6 and adds the number of units they have which have that MAR.  High roll gets advantage this turn.

In scenario games, one player or the other may get a Radio Network bonus which would count as a certain number of units with that MAR for the purposes of determining advantage.  This would just be something you could add to the scenario to reflect better intelligence or communications.

Thoughts?

A +1 bonus on 2D6 is pretty huge...so I don't think it should 'stack' so nicely.

I sort of like the idea that a radio network allows more clean relay of command, so any model within command distance of a RADIO NETWORK equipped model should both

• Gain the benefit of the Independent MAR
  • And if the commodore is not dead and is not the commodore them self, gain the benefit of a re-roll on morale checks.
  • Edit: in games that use cards it could be listed that ON ANY TURN the above effects have not been used a model with this MAR allows the controlling player to increase their maximum hand size to one higher than it would normally be (with a maximum of 6).

What if the Commodore's abilities and bonuses could be drawn from any model with Radio Network?

ie, re-rolling damage repair or treacherous terrain tests within 8" of the Commodore's vessel, you could also reroll them within 8" of any model with Radio Network.

What if the Commodore's abilities and bonuses could be drawn from any model with Radio Network?

ie, re-rolling damage repair or treacherous terrain tests within 8" of the Commodore's vessel, you could also reroll them within 8" of any model with Radio Network.

That would also be very interesting.

I think this is the best idea fielded so far. I really like it: Simple and easy to use.

Cheers,

Falconer

I really like this idea. It very much, in my opinion, conveys the importance of the radio network while also not being over powered. Great idea!

+1

Well, the same MAR in firestorm gives +1 to fleet tactics...so effectively +1 to initiative roll. Not saying it has to work the same here.

That would work too (not being cumulative), but I'd still favour being able to draw Commodore's ability from Radio Network models. I like the flavour and feel of it better.

I wonder why Espionage (FA's version of Radio Network) does have an alternative for no-STAR Card players and Radio Network doesn't. Mmm...

Cheers,

Falconer

I kind of like the OP.  It adds a bit of a bluffing element to fleet design, and could make Radio Network-equipped models targets of higher priority in situations during games which would be interesting.  The 8" bubble one is easier and more elegant though.  I wouldn't be opposed to either one.   

A +1 bonus on 2D6 is pretty huge...so I don't think it should 'stack' so nicely.

I sort of like the idea that a radio network allows more clean relay of command, so any model within command distance of a RADIO NETWORK equipped model should both

• Gain the benefit of the Independent MAR
  • And if the commodore is not dead and is not the commodore them self, gain the benefit of a re-roll on morale checks.
  • Edit: in games that use cards it could be listed that ON ANY TURN the above effects have not been used a model with this MAR allows the controlling player to increase their maximum hand size to one higher than it would normally be (with a maximum of 6).

I really, really, REALLY love this suggestion for this MAR.

After reading what it really does, for a group that seldom or even never uses cards, it make certain models completely pointless (I'm looking at you com tower...). But with something like this, it would really make people think twice about allocating some points towards a few com towers.

For me, the biggest appeal about the commodore approach to RN is that it's a.) really simple (I can easily write a short summary explanation of it on a stat card) and b.) scales (having 3 RNs is better than having 1).

The initiative idea is good in theory but I haven't seen a version that does both of those things -- how do you make 3 RNs somewhat, but not massively, better than 1 RN, without requiring more than one line to explain the key parts?

I'm going to start using the commodore approach in my games and I would encourage others to do so; if you do, write in and let us know how it went.  In the meanwhile, I'll spend some time thinking about ways to boil an initiative-bonus based idea down to something a little leaner and cleaner.

how do you make 3 RNs somewhat, but not massively, better than 1 RN, without requiring more than one line to explain the key parts?

Do they stack with cards? Not really.

Also, I hope i read it right and it just means you can measure LOS to the RN ship, nto that RN ships grant the same bonuses as a star admiral? As in, you don't get 3 rerolls if you have a commodore and 2 RN ships?

Do they stack with cards? Not really.

Really?  So if I have 3 units with RN, I don't get +3 cards?

Also, I hope i read it right and it just means you can measure LOS to the RN ship, nto that RN ships grant the same bonuses as a star admiral? As in, you don't get 3 rerolls if you have a commodore and 2 RN ships?

Correct.  You only have 1 commodore, what the RN gives you is additional points from which you can measure whichever one effect per turn you're using.  They're basically Commodore Arc Nodes.

So this would mean that any of the admiral effects can be drawn from a RN unit? So say, a unit of Russian gunships within 8 inches of a comm tower could activate For Russia? IF so, I could see Comm Towers being way more popular with the Russians :P

i thought being able to redirect rockets/torpedoes into any tower (because of the Invincible MAR) would make towers more popular

+1 for the of Radio Network acting as a node for the Commodore. Simple yet useful.

And that goes for me too. I think the initiative idea makes sense too - that a radio network could allow for getting the jump on the enemy - but I like the Commodore idea more. It is a reflection of the way the commander can broadcast his intent through the network, supporting units further afield with his or her tactical acumen. As YLLAN mentions, it is simpler to write up and summarise - and with the rules set as is, that has to count for something as well!