Backstrokewest

Who owns the skies?

Air Superiority  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That's Interesting. I never thought of the FSA as being that good in the air.

EotBS have great options all around.  I'd say they're in the #2 slot.

FSA's sky fortress and big flier are pretty decent and the John Henry is extremely good.  They're let down a little by the Freedom, but with the exception of the Japanese one, the small fliers are generally not all that great.  The FSA can put together a very credible air formation without any holes at medium and above.

CoA have decent options in the Epicurus and Icarus but their bomber is weak tea and the Daedalus is just bad.

Prussians have nice medium flyers but their larges are all sub-par.  Russians are very hit or miss.  KoB are mostly miss.

French air ships have so much AA it is obscene, giving them a fire power advantage of what equates to an additional weapons system in all air battles. John Heneries are even put to the torch by it as an attack against french medium fliers will result in 2-3 high AA attacks that reroll some of their misses, likely removing a john Henry before it attacks. The vauban has the power to flush enemies from the clouds, and their air is the fastest in the game in many cases.

Most other nations are relegated to a hand full of good or OK models.

The Japanese have their gyros and the tetsubo is a strong one use weapon, the problem being that french AA will normally remove this boarding threat as well as any and all Japanese rockets.

American vessels suffer from a lack of foreward facing weapons other than rockets which can leave them in sore shape, but they do well once they close and their sky fortress has an ungodly supply of it's own AA.

Prussian Pflitch class air ships remain their most useful unit the other airships tend to be fairly middling.

CoA has strong medium fliers and their sky fortress does OK.

Russian Air is heavily lacking in AA which leaves them sorely wanting for weapons when they do close in resulting in a less spectacular air force than a navy but they aren't hopeless.

The British air is unquestionably wretched when in an air to air engagement and of questionable tactical use when in a supporting role.

I'd say Russian air is hopeless, owing to the fact they kamikaze most of their flyers into opponents.

I think Prussia's pretty strong.  And Japan is a complete beast, but possibly a 1 trick pony when it comes to onyros and tetsubos.

My drones always get destroyed as my luck would have it, enemy AA always seems to kill at least 3 effectively neutering the wing, but that's just my luck with them.

Speaking of AA and as I have not played against the french (just convinced another gamer to give up that game that shall not be named to pick up the french so hopefully I will get some games against them soon) if you were worried about french AA as an attack why would you ever let your flyers within range band 1? Seems like a good defence to awesome AA especially given that flyers "typically" have a greater movement ability then other ships. Then again as I said I have not played the french and could be way off on my theory.

French, unsuprisingly,rule the white ocean.  The FSA is probably second- good sky fort and large flyer, great robot, and often forgot, but incredibly good Lee scoutships. Only the tiny conehead of meh is letting them down. Japanese have also very good air, but I haven't faced it yet, so I will not say if they're better or worse than the FSA.

Japanese have also very good air, but I haven't faced it yet, so I will not say if they're better or worse than the FSA.

In my view, EotBS air is better than FSA.

Large Flier - Tsukuyomi by a little bit, due to its edge in firepower.  Both good.

Sky Fortress - Too close to call, both good.

Medium Flier - Lee is good, but Inari is better, with great firepower in all ranges and no downsides.  

Bomber - DFA by a country mile.

Small Flier - Freedom didn't even bother to show up for the weigh-in.

Special - FSA has the John Henry, which is much better than the Onryu, which we'll consider in this slot.

As good as the John Henry is, the FSA have some holes in their lineup, but the Blazing Suns don't.  That puts the Japanese firmly in the #2 slot in my books.

Is the DFA really better than the A-17? I find the larger squadron size and the less specific range bands really helpful. Plus CC is lower in general than AA so they start being effective sooner. Or am I missing something? Have to say I've never played the EotBS, nor do I have an opponent who does.

In my view, EotBS air is better than FSA.

Large Flier - Tsukuyomi by a little bit, due to its edge in firepower.  Both good.

Sky Fortress - Too close to call, both good.

Medium Flier - Lee is good, but Inari is better, with great firepower in all ranges and no downsides.  

Bomber - DFA by a country mile.

Small Flier - Freedom didn't even bother to show up for the weigh-in.

Special - FSA has the John Henry, which is much better than the Onryu, which we'll consider in this slot.

As good as the John Henry is, the FSA have some holes in their lineup, but the Blazing Suns don't.  That puts the Japanese firmly in the #2 slot in my books.

Not to mention the new large EotBS gyro !!!

Is the DFA really better than the A-17? I find the larger squadron size and the less specific range bands really helpful. Plus CC is lower in general than AA so they start being effective sooner. Or am I missing something? Have to say I've never played the EotBS, nor do I have an opponent who does.

It really is.  

DFA has better AA; the A-17 in 4s pays 220 pts for 11 AA whereas the DFA pays 180 for 12.  

Comparing the rockets to the torps, the DFA is throwing 5/9/13/- vs 16/15/11/- at almost a 3:4 cost ratio.  For a cheaper formation the DFA gives you better RB3 and the RB1 difference really doesn't matter because both formations can be using bombs instead -- and for relatively fragile, cruiser stats models with 4HP, backloading your AD to RB1 and 2 is a bad idea; it's just too easy to lose a model or two on the way in, even obscured.  Pushing AD out to RB3 is huge.  The A-17 has a good advantage in RB2, but that one solitary advantage isn't much for a formation that's that much more expensive.

For bombs, at 16 vs 16, the DFA has the same payload for 40 points less.

The DFA has slightly better durability; 4/7 vs 5/6 is pretty close but the DFA will be critted (and double critted) less often, which is huge for a model with 4HP.  

You get an extra model in the formation, which is good for the A-17, but if I'm paying for 4 models then I would expect to have a 4:3 advantage in effectiveness over a 3 model squadron, not struggling for parity.

Finally, the DFA is 2" faster.

I'll take DFAs over A-17s every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

There will also a few key things in an air war vs. the Blazing Sun, the sheer amount of incendiary rockets the Blazing Sun has, and with the Onryo attached to Inaris, Incendiary Turrets.  Being able to deny your opponents the ability to stay Obscured is powerful. Fighting the Altitude skimmed gyros also proves very annoying according to the people I fight regularly.

I'd still say France comes first, but with the Blazing Sun coming a very close second.

Speaking of AA and as I have not played against the french (just convinced another gamer to give up that game that shall not be named to pick up the french so hopefully I will get some games against them soon) if you were worried about french AA as an attack why would you ever let your flyers within range band 1? Seems like a good defence to awesome AA especially given that flyers "typically" have a greater movement ability then other ships. Then again as I said I have not played the french and could be way off on my theory.

As a premise, I play RoF so I could be biased.

Anyway, you should consider three things: it is very difficult to avoid the whole enemy movement+AA range with every flyer of yours, French AA is beast on ALL ships with a few exceptions (but the only one that comes to my mind is Marseilles actually) and, last but not least, well... we have Ecuyers.

It is not that easy for RoF players to use AA to full effectiveness, you have to be aggressive with your movement and AA rapidly decreases with damage, for example.

But still... where others have AA1 we have AA3, where enemy flyers have AA3 we have AA6+Rapid Fire... 

Well, yes, I do, but all my comments are based solely on what is available right now.  If you read them and wonder whether I'm trying to hint or suggest or allude to anything, the answer is, no, I'm not.

Remember: there are two types of people in the world, and one of them can keep a secret.

Well, yes, I do, but all my comments are based solely on what is available right now.  If you read them and wonder whether I'm trying to hint or suggest or allude to anything, the answer is, no, I'm not.

Remember: there are two types of people in the world, and one of them can keep a secret.

Men????  :unsure: