Nucreum

So in fact, we can... strafe-run?!

In the "I-discovered-a-major-rule" chapter, here my 2 cents:

Core Rulebook 1.1, Page 50, last sentence:

"A model can always turn LESS than the angle between two Navigation Points."

So it would mean we can just move from a Navigation point to another with an angle of... 0° and strafe-run?? :blink:

When you turn, you have to move from a navigational point to another, right?

Like you can choose your angle, pick 0° and move from a Navigational Point to another. A 0° turn without moving 1" straight forward but diagonally, which is equal to a strafe run movement.

I think you are talking about when model turns using the Templates. All that means is that you can move half the distance when you turn using the templates.

So if you are using the 45 degree template, place it next to a model and turn half of that around the template (which would be a 22 degree angle around the template instead of the 45 degrees). That is all that means. Nothing special there.

I think you are talking about when model turns using the Templates. All that means is that you can move half the distance when you turn using the templates.

So if you are using the 45 degree template, place it next to a model and turn half of that around the template (which would be a 22 degree angle around the template instead of the 45 degrees). That is all that means. Nothing special there.

I don't understand...

Ok you can turn 22° (0° in my example), but you have to move next to the next navigational point right? It's written twice in the rules. How can you move half a inch?

Indeed, simple really.

So on the 45deg template you can turn anywhere from 0 deg (straight forward) to 45 deg when making your 1" movment, if turning.

It IS that simple, no need to complicate things.

"A model can always turn LESS than the angle between two Navigation Points."

All that this rule is doing is saying that you do not need to turn the full angle.  You can choose to turn a smaller angle than the one allowed.

Earlier in that rule:

The distance between two Navigation Points is 1", so each turn reduces the remaining Movement (Mv) of a model by 1".

So, to recap:

1. The rule explicitly is talking about angle and not distance.

2. The rules explicitly say that each step of a turn reduces your move by 1".

If you are moving at 0 degrees, you're going straight ahead. What you're saying doesn't make sense.

But what the rule is telling you is that when you are using the Templates, you can move an Inch. But you do not have to move the full 45 degrees around the template. You can turn half that, 1/3 that, or 2/3 that. But you do not have to go around the full 45 degrees.

The edges of the template are these "Navigational Points."

EDIT: Think of it as though you are shimmying the model. Only the turn is too big to count as a Shimmy, thus the template is needed

No. You move the full 1" Every Turn you make counts as 1" of movement.

That rule is only talking about the angle of which you can turn the model. And it is telling you that you do not have to make the full 45 degrees of a turn. You can turn that model as much as you want within that 45 degrees.

And no. It applies to all templates. I'm just using the 45 degree template as the example.

Right.  You always move 1" forward and you can turn up to the full angle allowed by the next navigation point, but if you want, you can move 1" forward and turn less than that.

Basically, the turn template is the sharpest turn you can make.  You can make a less sharp turn if you want, but you're always moving forward in 1" increments.

I think this may just be a language issue.  They're talking about this in terms of Navigation Points, which sound like something to do with distance, but they're actually talking about the angle at which you can turn.  The explanation could be a little more clear in terms of its intent but there isn't a rule loophole here.

Thanks, I still don't understand why the rule say twice the model need to be aligned with Navigation Point when turning then, but all your explanations make sense with the "less than max angle" thing.

I think we'll just play as you all say and stop bother with that.

Edit after your edit: Yes, it's probably a language issue :/

I think that's a very reasonable way to do it.  We normally just eyeball it, but if you want to be a bit more precise, this approach should work fine.

Whether that's the way the rule is intended to be used, I'm not sure, but this approach would be fully consistent with the rules as I understand them.

The way I do it if I don't want to move the full turn is place the template as normal, turn the ship/base to the angle I want, turn the template into to the ship/base then move to the next navigation point.

Just like in the image above, in fact :>