Sign in to follow this  
Goggalor

Goggalor's Ottoman Diary

Just stated  my Ottomans. These ships are just lovely and so I thought they deserved something other than my FSA and Russian grey. So after settling on A Faux wooden look here is a WiP of the work so far.

001_zps68d6a9cd.jpg

002_zps4c3fdaaf.jpg

This is a test for the dark look as the brown I had was a bit lighter than expected.

004_zps7bbfd351.jpg

005_zps1a96176a.jpg

The highlights will be the usual bronze pipework and silver guns. With blue domes, probably with a glaze but I will have to test that first.

C&C always welcome.

Thanks for the comments. Futuristic flying wooden mosques sounds good!

However here are some futuristic flying wooden warehouses

002_zpsb63a001d.jpg

All the basic colours done.

006_zpsb51eb0dc.jpg

Black wash added to the superstructure

007_zps2b30af8d.jpg

All done with a agrax wash x 2 and highlighting

009_zpsf931d2eb.jpg

012_zpsa95fc51f.jpg

013_zpsd94fafe7.jpg

Next up are the destroyers. Only 4 of them though and then onto the Cruisers.

Thanks

That is some really nice work! I admittedly was skeptical of your choice of colours at first, but as you progressed, you really made it work. I particularly like your dome/glass glazing-good scale effect!

Kudos!  :lol:

The battleship is excellent! Looks like a glass domed stone citadel sat on a floating wooden ship of the line. Something quite different to look at, although the ottoman fleet begs for a different scheme to most other fleets.

Thanks for the comments.

Avelorn - I started with a black undercoat as I always do. I did not know what colours I was going to use so fell back on what I always do. Although a white undercoat would have been easier to paint on. The hull was balor brown with a agrax earthshade wash. The deck was the last of my Iyanden base.

The superstructure was dheneb stone with the domes being glazes of guilliman blue x2 and waywatcher green x1 or 2 depending on how much I had put on.

Doc - Yes the Ottomans want to be done differently. The usual grey will not cut it.

The minarets are metal and the detail is very fine. So be careful not too overpaint them.

Thanks.

Those look great so far. I had been on the fence about the Ottomans, but that scheme really does the model's detail justice. Please keep sharing.

It's always sad when I reach the end of one of my old GW paint pots; I dread the end of my Devlan Mud. It has been a hard transition to other brands or even some of their new stuff. 

The cruisers as I forgot to put them up here!

009_zpsda66595f.jpg

Next up the tiny fliers!. This could take some time though!

Thanks for the comments. jpj it is hard when they get rid of beloved colours, especially when the new colours are not exact or even close!

Love the scheme. I'm just starting my Ottomans. Started with a black undercoat like yourself. The models are really intricate and its a pain making sure there are no nooks or crannies left...

They dry-brush up really well though.

Thanks for the comments. Spartan models have lovely detail that does drybrush well and comes up nicely. Ideas are not stolen they are liberated! :P I had my first game with the ottomans and they are interesting to play. Main thing never allow yourself to be boarded.

Here are the tiny fliers, apologies for the photos the light where I am is poor.

CIMG1878_zpsa3d27e26.jpg

fighters

CIMG1876_zps643ead3e.jpg

fighters

CIMG1871_zps4d6aba2d.jpg

Fighters

CIMG1875_zps4c0cfa86.jpg

Dive bombers