draco84oz

The Names of the Covenant

The Pytheus is probably a reference to the famed architect who built the Mausoleum at Halicarnassos and built an early temple to Athena on the Acropolis, or the Ur-Parthenon. Prometheus is almsot certainly a god though. Or at least a demigod. He was the titan who brought fire to mankind, and was thereafter used as a symbol of inspiration or ingenuity. The name literally means looking ahead or foresight.

i too love the coa naming system, although my personal ship names.drag inspiration from (read:copy shamelessly) the culture series of books.

personal favourites include:

fresnal - CNS Only slightly bent

diogenes - CNS Sacrificial victim

Prometheus - CNS Mistake not...

tdo - CNS use psychology

and last but not least, my ever dependable Aristotle - CNS So Much for Subtlety.

now i just have to find a suitable name for my euclid (when i eventually get it)

What's the name of the big flying Beastie in Avatar? Means death from above or some sort. Could be a good Euclid name for someone out there. What's a one word synonym for "everything and the kitchen sink" ? I will be going with Latin names for all of my ships, probably gonna work on that this afternoon or evening some time.

ok so far here is what I have come up with for naming my vessels.  I havent done the smalls because well, they are a pain in the butt and I dont know if I am going to name anything smaller then a medium.  I kept with mostly a Latin naming scheme using what was started in the OP as a guide of the class name and finding something relevant to the class then finding that word in latin (if not already in latin since there was a lot of cross over).  I still have some land I have to do but will get to it later.

Flying Models

Epicurus x2

Laetus – prosperous/successful

Beatus – happy, fortunate, bringing happiness

Daedalus x1

Artifex – craftsman

Icarus x6 

Jatayu – hindu icarus

Kua Fu -  Chinese icarus

Bladud -  king with story like icarus

Etana – Babylon icarus

Ceratus -  wax

Pinna – Feather

Ptolemy

Almagest - astronomical treatise by Ptolemy

Tetrabiblos - another of Ptolemy's works

Naval Models

Prometheus x1

Aestus – heat/fire/raging/boiling

Pericles x1

Macrologus – great speaker

Aristotle x2

Subtilitas – logic/detail

Sententia – opinion, feeling, way of thinking.

Aronnax x1

Cossis – worm found in wood

Fresnel x3

Opticus – optics

Repulsus – reflection/echo

Incendo – Light

Zeno x3

Citium – founder of stoic philosophy

Tarsus – Stoic philosopher

Sidon – Epicurean philosopher

Plato x3

Republicae – republic (one of his works)

Ars – knowledge

Discitus – to acquire knowledge

Whilst I have yet to not go for any Covenant ships, the following would be ship names:

CNS Bodleian, Prometheus Class Dreadnought

CNS Sackler, Aristotle Class Battleship

CNS Radcliffe, Aristotle Class Battleship

CNS Oxon, Pericles Class Carrier

+

CAS Ashmolean, Euclid Class Dreadnought

CAS Sheldonian, Epicurus Class Sky Fortress

CAS Pitt Rivers, Daedalus Class Skyship

I then got stuck working on the land component. I'm sure I'll think of something later :P

Here are a couple of ship names that I think work pretty well.

Diophantus- CNS Claymore

Pericles- CNS Icebreaker

Arronax- CNS Ethernere

Euclid- CAS Teren's Grasp

Daedalus- CAS Wind Stalker

Archimedes- CLS Cancer

Herodotus- CLS Locust

These are the notable ships in the Covenant's 21st war fleet, codenamed "Blood Angels" (I'm a former Warhammer 40K player)

I assign names to my ships/squadrons based on an overal theme I used to design my fleets. All squadrons get a name assigned and the ships get a serial number because that saves me from thinking up 40+ other names :P

The fleet i designed with stompiness and intimidation in mind is called Battle Group Kraken (because who doesn't want to hear ol' lord Sturgeon say 'Unleash the Kraken!').

The names I picked for the ships are all from greek mythology. The current list is
Prometheus - CNS Tethys
Daedalus-Beta - CAS Cychreides  
Arranox - CNS Charibdys 
Arranox - CNS Charon
Fresnels - CNS Hydras
Fresnels - CNS Gorgons
Platos - CNS Graeae
Diogenes - CNS Harpies
Diogenes - CNS Thelekines

My second fleet is pure wave lurky goodness so I opted for a more sneaky theme. The fleet's code name is Phasmatis which is latin for ghost (according to google translate so yeah... it's a bit iffy).
The names of the ships are all in latin (butchered latin most likely...) inspired by things dark and secretive.

Diophantus - CNS Domnus Nox
Aristotle - CNS Mortem Quietu
Aristotle - CNS Deus Gradi
Hippasus - CNS Sol Obscuro
Hippasus - CNS Venator Invisus
Cleomedus - CNS Prealiator Umbra
Thales - CNS Tectus
Thales - CNS Furtum
Plutarchs - CNS Provocator
Plutarchs - CNS Agressor

The arial fleet, strike fleet Caelum, is named after optical phenomenom.

Euclid - CAS Aurora Borealis
Epicurus - CAS Halo
Epicurus - CAS Glory    
Icarus - CAS Cloud iridescence
Icarus - CAS Sun Dogs
Ptolemy - CAS Anthelion
Ptolemy - CAS Mirage
Pytheus - CAS Afterglow

And I named my land forces, army group Ferrum, after metals
The Large/Massives are all precious metals
Herodotus - CLS Palladium
Archimedus - CLS Rhodium    
Archimedus - CLS Iridium

The mediums are all heavy metals

Skorpios - CLS Cadnium
Skorpios - CLS Mercury
Atticus - CLS Chromium
Atticus - CLS Arsenic

The smalls are all base metals

Colussus - CLS Lead
Xenophon - CLS Copper

And the last, the Time Orb, is called CLS Silver since silver is the most conductive metal around.

And after seeing this list I can see why people ask me if I have too much spare time...

My Euclid is getting named "jesus h christ" :P

Mine earned the name CAS - Let's Be Friends!

I named a rather large amount of ships after my old BFG fleet, so the names don't match too terribly well. Does feel nice though to have my Epicurus, the CAS - Macharius, dump a bunch of drones on things I dont like, right before blitzing them with a nasty broadside - all while being backed up by the paired Fresnels, the CNS - Divine Right and the CNS - Laudate Divinitus. 

Cheesy, I know, but I can't help myself.

I thought the Pytheus was named after the Greek explorer Pytheas, but I see the architect is more likely.

I've been thinking of naming mine after scientists, and I see that's common. But most of the ship names chosen are Western European. While that's likely given Lord Sturgeon's background, what about the multinational origin of the Covenant? I think scientists of other nations would also likely be honored.

Some Muslim-world scientists:

• Abubekar (actual name Abu Bakr Muhammad ibn Abd al-Malik ibn Muhammad ibn Tufail al-Qaisi al-Andalusi) [1105–1185]: an Andalusian Muslim polymath, a writer, novelist, Islamic philosopher, Islamic theologian, physician, astronomer, vizier, and court official.
  • Alhazen (actual name Abū ʿAlī al-Ḥasan ibn al-Ḥasan ibn al-Haytham) [965–1040]: an Arab Muslim polymath and philosopher who made significant contributions to the principles of optics, astronomy, mathematics, meteorology, visual perception and the scientific method.
  • Alpetragius (actual name Nur ad-Din al-Bitruji) [?–1204]: an astronomer and an Islamic judge from Andalusia.
  • Avempace (actual name Abû Bakr Muḥammad Ibn Yaḥyà ibn aṣ-Ṣâ’igh at-Tûjîbî Ibn Bâjja al-Tujibi) [1085–1138]: a medieval Andalusian polymath: his writings include works regarding mathematics, astronomy, physics, psychology, and music, as well as logic, philosophy, medicine, botany, and poetry.
  • Averroës (actual name ʾAbū l-Walīd Muḥammad Ibn ʾAḥmad Ibn Rušd) [1126–1198]: a Berber medieval Andalusian polymath. He wrote on logic, Aristotelian and Islamic philosophy, theology, the Maliki school of Islamic jurisprudence, psychology, political and Andalusian classical music theory, geography, mathematics, and the mediæval sciences of medicine, astronomy, physics, and celestial mechanics.
  • Geber (actual name Abu Mūsā Jābir ibn Hayyān) [721–815]: a prominent Muslim polymath, a chemist and alchemist, astronomer and astrologer, engineer, geographer, philosopher, physicist, and pharmacist and physician
  • Alkindus (actual name Abu Yūsuf Yaʻqūb ibn ʼIsḥāq aṣ-Ṣabbāḥ al-Kindī) [801–873]: an Iraqi Muslim Arab philosopher, polymath, mathematician, physician and musician.

The above were scientists and philosophers who preserved Greek scientist writings at a time when they disappeared in Europe. I think, given my username, I'll try using those. Other Latinized Arabic-world scientists can be found here: http://www.muslimheritage.com/article/latinized-names-muslim-scholars; I can see I have a rich field to choose from.

What about Chinese scholars? The only ones I know about are Zhang Heng (which I guess the CoA guys would spell "Chang Heng") because of his fantastic seismograph, and Ge Hong (again, they'd probably say Ko Hung) because he was one of the primary inventors of gunpowder.

Updated the topic for the new expansion box, as well as the modular battleship.

Probably a couple of years late, but I agree with Al Hazred above - Spartan, may I suggest that future Coveneant ships be named in honor other non-Western and -Greek scientists? Sure, much of western science is based on Greek philosophy, but there are influences there from all over. Without Hindu and Arabic scholars, we wouldn't have the concept of zero, and al-Haytham was one of the first to codify the basics of the Scientific Process and Scientific Inquiry.

3 hours ago, draco84oz said:

Updated the topic for the new expansion box, as well as the modular battleship.

Probably a couple of years late, but I agree with Al Hazred above - Spartan, may I suggest that future Coveneant ships be named in honor other non-Western and -Greek scientists? Sure, much of western science is based on Greek philosophy, but there are influences there from all over. Without Hindu and Arabic scholars, we wouldn't have the concept of zero, and al-Haytham was one of the first to codify the basics of the Scientific Process and Scientific Inquiry.

And the Covenant is pretty explicitly a multi-national bunch, with known governmental figures from across Europe (the Warmaster and Spymaster come to mind), and several admirals from various non-western nations- such as Priya Kumar (India) and Kwang Hyung-Ok (Korea). I might have mangled those spellings, but my copy of hurricane season is hidden in a box somewhere.

Promethius- Antarctic Flame

Callimacus Orbs - attalus and livius

Diophantus- Chortasmenos

Aristotle- Stagira

Ptolemy squadron - Claudius Ptolemaeus 

Cleomedes squadron- Epidausus

Hippasus- Metapontum

Platos squadron - parmenides

Thales - Anaximenes

Diogenes squadrons- Corinth, Cynicism, Hicesius and Sinop

More been added but are yet unnamed

On 02/07/2013 at 7:05 AM, draco84oz said:

Theon-Class Light Interceptor - there are two Theons of antiquity that this could refer to: Theon of Smyrna was a Greek philosopher in the first century CE whose work included the foundations of Number Theory. Theon of Alexandria was a Greek scholar in the 4th Century CE who worked closely with Euclid, and whose daughter, Hypatia, was a brilliant scholar in her own right.

I think spartan confirmed in the KS comments that it was named after Theon of Alexandria