YouLookLikeANail

Dystopian Wars Fleet Guides

Personally, I feel that they could add the Minor nation units into the Core Nation booklets. Like the Danish with the Prussians and the Minelayer with the French, and background fluff on them at the back of the booklets.

Other than that, this is a good move by Spartan. Bit late for me as I already bought the Paper version of all of them (barring the Ottomans of course)

As these have just been put up today (27 June) and is therefore the latest version of the rules for these nations. I would just like to point out the TFT compliment for the CF DN is shown as 6 and not 4 as mentioned earlier.

Therefore i will be using these latest rules and flying 6 TFT's until latest update is amended. Well,  I will be when i get the model  :)

Another mistake by SG even though they had changed it from 6 to 4 earlier in the month, it has now been changed back to 6 according to this latest release.

Come on SG, get a grip. Please dont copy and paste the incorrect data unless it is no longer incorrect.

Can we get another updated PDF if this is the case.

First compelling reason I have heard to get on twitter.

That said this should solve the "card" issue (YLLANS are amazing still but not everyone sees them as they are not on Spartans main site that I have seen) that some people have been worried about. I think this move is absolutely great!

I saw the stats for the Ottomans. I promise not to yell before playing with them, that is all I promise :P

Same here. Not my style but I simply went "wtf?" when reading that.

Let's just say that they are perfectly steampunk: big, overloaded with stuff and flashy. :ph34r:

Seeing these new fleets, particularly the ottoman empire I can say that I am heavily concerned. I would advocate a wider use of National Fleet MARs on the primary nations.

The problem is that I enjoy the fact that Ottoman ships are heavily flavored and impressively armed but seeing that they do not have the glaring flaws that should be required to allow for such a spectacular grade of firepower I feel that the other nations have been left behind.

My suggestions are:

My personal suggestions would be Combine Fire on all energy and tesla weapons (devastating ordinance for the COA generator vessel).

Lethal Strike on all Prussian turrets.

Redoubtable and High Angle on all CoA broadsides

Incendiary Weapon on all EotBS turrets, redoubtable on all of their broadsides.

Redoubtable on all KoB capitol ship turrets and a reworking of the entire KoB air force including the mines they support.

Concussive Barrage on all Russian primary guns.

A significant speed boost and points reduction to french skimmers, the application of sustained fire to all french AA and possibly other rules to aid the comparatively lacking french firpower.

Sustained fire values to all American turrets.

I will admit, i hope spartan is revisiting the core fleets. They just dont seem to shine any more.

For example, the ottoman empire cruiser has something like 5 seperate MARs (redoubtable, high angle, surface skimmer, sharpsooters, and sustained fire), And can buy a multi-purpose generator. Compare this to the very lackluster EotBS cruiser which has only sharp turn, and the option to buy incendiary rockets. Or the french cruiser with just surface skimmer, and the option for retardent armor.

Seeing these new fleets, particularly the ottoman empire I can say that I am heavily concerned. I would advocate a wider use of National Fleet MARs on the primary nations.

The problem is that I enjoy the fact that Ottoman ships are heavily flavored and impressively armed but seeing that they do not have the glaring flaws that should be required to allow for such a spectacular grade of firepower I feel that the other nations have been left behind.

My suggestions are:

My personal suggestions would be Combine Fire on all energy and tesla weapons (devastating ordinance for the COA generator vessel).

Lethal Strike on all Prussian turrets.

Redoubtable and High Angle on all CoA broadsides

Incendiary Weapon on all EotBS turrets, redoubtable on all of their broadsides.

Redoubtable on all KoB capitol ship turrets and a reworking of the entire KoB air force including the mines they support.

Concussive Barrage on all Russian primary guns.

A significant speed boost and points reduction to french skimmers, the application of sustained fire to all french AA and possibly other rules to aid the comparatively lacking french firpower.

Sustained fire values to all American turrets.

Emmm....No

The only one I think fair, among all of that, is the Redoubtable on KoB Turrets and Combine Fire on Energy Turrets.

For the Teslas. I like the Idea of Volley Fire, where if they don't use One of their Tesla banks (Fore, Aft, or Broadside), they are allowed to fire a second shot.

Or they are allowed to fire a designated number of shots in only one arc (so if the Battleship was to fire all of it's teslas in one activation, it can only roll a second attack from one of it's Tesla Batteries....Starboard for example), and it does not have to be targeted at the same target.

To all intents and purposes, it's a completely separate attack. So hits from the previous Volley do not count towards this one.

Doesn't fix their low AD. But it does give you a second chance should the first attack fail.

But the Ottomans aren't even out yet. Just like the Chinese, they are tough but look no harder than any other faction.

I fully agree whith you shadowbow ! I really feal that is a very very sad day for DW...

I don't try yet to fight against them, but stat are there !  

Corrosive MAR means an average x2 damage point !

Ottoman's dread will roll 13AD (9+4re-roll) at RB4 with redoutable MAR, preventing him to loose its efficiency !

and so on and so on...

Just comparing a few of this ship with other existing (fettah vs Marseille for example) and it becomes obvious that there is a real problem !

I just hope this kind of (mercantile ?) strategy will not kill the game...

The problem I see is that the ottomans are pointed and APed like the covenant.

However, they good and sometimes great AA/CC.

Sharpshooters all over the place.

Better ranged firepower than the FSA thanks to corrosive, bombards and better access to scout fliers.

Survivable firepower.

Speed, armor, CR, strong generators with spectacular ranges (RB4? Really? so the russians are looking at 4/5" of movement per ship with huge turning radius penalties starting turn one!).

They have additional weapons in the form of multiple volley guns giving them more attacks than the KoB for clearing smalls.

They have more good special rules per vessel than the CoA (and just as much generator access).

Lets not forget the fact that their broadsides are quite horrible up close, it's not like those get less threatening as  you close.

There has to come some point when you say...well they don't have ap?

but they have nearly as much AA as the french and way more access to close air support and they too have Well Trained Pilots.

I want to play these guys, but seriously, I think I'd feel dirty putting them on the table. My favorite model in any fleet is a carrier for instance...sure the carrier is expensive but it also supports as much (if not more) firepower than a dreadnaught (for less), matches (or barely falls short to if it takes the mine controller) the FSA carrier in TFT count for the points cost and competes in ability to resupply.

Edit:

Realize that seeing the Ottomans I see SG attempting to make richly flavored fleets that supply their flavor in powerful and beneficial ways, but I feel it is bad taste to release such a dramatic difference in power without swiftly following up with updates to the other fleets.

Seeing free Australia for instance, the fliers they support are better than the British ones in nearly every way.

I don't think it's a huge secret that the KoB fliers need to be fixed.  They needed to be fixed before any of these new fleets came out, nothing has changed there.

The point of contention here is the idea that the Ottomans are the beneficiaries of a dramatic difference in power.  Having played my share of games against them with my pokey old boring KoB, I can tell you that I don't buy that there is a dramatic difference in power.

It's easy to look at stats and draw the wrong conclusions.  I know it's easy because I watched people do it with the Italians, and the Chinese, and the Australians, and now with the Ottomans.  Once you've played a few games against them, and you've figured out what they can do and what they can't do, and adjusted your tactics, then we can discuss whether they are overpowered.  I'm pretty sure you'll come around to agreeing that, just like all the other factions I just listed, they aren't.

Looking at the firepower of the ottomans, it lacks the raw oomph of other factions- the DN has only 2 turrets, that aren't as powerful as other DN turrets. The only DN turrets they out AD is the KoB ones, and they have six of the bloody things, not two. They look fine to me. Yes, they all have corrosive, but they seem to have much less raw firepower from those guns, and the arcs for things like bombards and those powerful broadsides don't overlap much at all. Looks perfectly beatable.

Looking at the firepower of the ottomans, it lacks the raw oomph of other factions- the DN has only 2 turrets, that aren't as powerful as other DN turrets. The look fine to me. Yes, they all have corrosive, but they seem to have much less raw firepower from those guns, and the arcs for things like bombards and those powerful broadsides don't overlap much at all. Looks perfectly beatable.

The more individual attacks you take the more effect  you get from corrosive however.

This fleet looks like it does 1000 cuts and then pours acid into the wounds.

Each one of those guns causes a chance of many other points of damage each time it causes damage.

Then they slow you down.

And they can kill your ap, and they can ruin your own AD.

And once you start to get close enough that the bombard sniping is almost over your AA is low enough that 30+ TFT dive bombers should clean you up nicely.

@Amiral X - how many games have you lost to the Ottomans?

As i wrote in my post : none.

I just talk about stats ans statistics... thats not the whole game, I know it, but it's stile quite important and has a meaning on the table.

When russians were rolled out, I found them good, but balanced.

When Italians were rolled out, I found them good too, and balanced.

I already play a good amount of game against them and they are balanced

For Australians and chineses, I find them very good, and I am not this sure they are fully balanced, but I don't conclude anything as I didn't fight against them yet and if any the gap will not be critical... 

But with Ottomans, I think the problem of balance is obviously critical... 

I hope to be wrong, but I don't think so...

Looks perfectly beatable.

Unless you're Russian I guess, and have to suffer through an endless crawl through possibly the best long-range firepower in the game.

As I said elsewhere, my peeve with them is that they out-french the french in general terms. They might not have the heatlance, but redoubtable broadsides are better except vs a select few dreadnoughts and battleships anyway. I can't even say they're slower, their battleship is faster than the Magenta, and the cruisers faster than the marsillies. Yes, they lack retardant armor, but that's about it.