Sign in to follow this  
dadude

Infantry

Hi there,

I am considering starting a new Russian Force.

And being a traditional player, i need to have loads of Infantry, to play in the spirit of the Russians.

My question is; are they usefull?

And especially, how are they best put into the game?

Ah infantry, the AC conundrum that most occupies my thoughts.

Generally speaking I am not sold on infantry I think it is too expensive for what it does (or can do). I  am working up to crunching some numberson it fairly soon.

Russia might be an exception for me. bigger infanrty units are better. As a general rule in AC the smaller a nations infantry sections are the better protection they get, this ranges up the the Russian infantry which is the biggest units but no protection at all.

The risk that Infantry poses is mainly boarding. the riflemans guns can only affect Ironclads and other infantry so what the enemy really has to worry about is 30AD of boarders which will overwhelm anything! the problem is partly slowness but also vulnerability. as any hits against infantry cause damage they are the top priority target for individual weak attacks that will not damage anything else and a big attack will decimate infantry batallions.

Cavalry is ok, 50 points for 12AD boarding is fiarly reasonable and they are faster.

Artillary seems overcosted to me. for 10 points more you can get another 3 Kamchatka which have the same firepower in RB1 and equivalent in RB2 (9AD vs 12 AD) the same total KR (12) but harder to acheive (need 4 hits at once) and far faster. Also the Kamatcha does not need spotting markers which with the Russian Quality ratings is a blessing indeed.

Overall a big russian rifle company can do a horrendous amount of boarding damage and it is a foolish player who ignores it. Regrettably it takes comparitivly little to give them a mauling and the high initial KR on other Russian stuff makes them very appealing targets to long range stuff.

If you use infantry in a super specific way, they can be deadly.

If you manage to keep them relatively unharmed before they get into the fight, then they can be devastating once they start throwing their dice out.

That's the hard part. Getting them in to the action (relatively) unscathed; it's true that they take damage like a wet paper bag (if I'm reading correctly, they lose 1 strength for ever 1 successful hit rolled against them).

Depending on the mentality of the person you are playing, they may see the infantry as nothing to be concerned about, and before you know it, they have Hive Fleet Russki on their hands.

Keep them behind the armoured wall. The trick is to get them into battle using the armoured wall of Kamchatkas and, I think, Tikhvins. The Orlov's target jammer should keep away aerial and sideways spotters, and maybe a couple of Saransks to keep out the flies at close range.

Remember they're a small target as well, and using two dice per base gives you half the frontage to hide.

Remember they're a small target as well, and using two dice per base gives you half the frontage to hide.

I would be very careful with that one. I personally think 2 dice per base is a good idea from a financial point of view but the rules do state 6 points per base so 5 bases are needed. If you are using the 2 dice per base for a specific tactical advantage people could get justifiably upset as you are technically breaking the rules.

As a side note, I cannot recall if it says anywhere that Infantry need to be deployed in a specific formation. We have been treating them link TFTs in DW (so 5 would be 3 in the front and 2 at the back), in this case the frontage is the same as 3 dice per base. Is it mandatory for them to be in a long line? I can see the arguments as that is what is required for normal units and I cannot recall any exceptions.. We may have been playing this wrong.

As far as I'm aware, as long as everything's in base contact, anything goes.

And yeah, I was a bit wary about that reduced frontage point, I know I won't use it

There's nothing stopping you from doing a 3-2 formation, as long as the units are all in contact, the formation is legal.

That said, iirc, your own units block line of sight, and line of sight is drawn for each unit, not the whole battalion (diagram, page 32 rulebook).

So, those in the back row may not be able to fire at infantry directly in front if the battalion.

Note, I said infantry. All other units (ironclads etc) are larger than infantry (tint size), so you can fire over infantry at them (size categories, p32 rulebook)