bigdoggrulzz

Spartan why boxed sets?

My friends and I started playing this game when it first came out. At one point we had as many as 20 players all at least playing the naval game. Then someone got the bright idea to change how you sell the product. Dropping blisters and selling everything in boxed sets. The whole problem with there new packaging system is that its stupid! I'm not buying, and neither are any of my friends, a 65 pound box set for the handful of models we need to play.  If they don't fix this soon they are going to lose a bunch of players in my area. A dozen players may not seam like a big lost to them but I'm sure we are not the only gaming group having problems with this system. Our LGS isn't going to continue ordering their stuff because they can't justify getting in all these expensive boxed sets when most of the players only buy their armies one blister at a time. What sales genius thought this up. This new system has completely killed the land game and is rapidly killing the naval. We've went from 40 to 50 DW games a week down to a half dozen. We really thought with the introduction of Australians, Chinese and Ottomans sales would pick up but they haven't because nobody wants to be tied into buying multiple army boxes to get the mix of units they want. Hopefully someone from Spartan has the guts to respond.

Spartan have already said that they are releasing the boxes to cut down on what LGS have to carry (shelf wise) to have the entire range.  The blisters are not being discontinued,

edit - spelling! well putting the correct word in :P

Westy

Having the blisters containing enough models for a complete squadron is something that Spartans public have been pushing for for some time.  It has sort of happened and perhaps will eventually?  I have a feeling this may have stalled due to the amount of lovely models coming from Spartan?

The boxed sets are an effective way of lowering the amount of stock (space) that a store has to hold, and at the same time gives good value for money to the public.  They also happen to come with nice art work.

I do have mixed feelings about the boxed sets. While I can see the advatage to them for stores and much appreciate the savings they provide they do worry me.

In regards to the existing naions no being boxed up (as it were) I don't think that there will be a problem as long as the individual blisters are still available (as they are now). It has not been stated that blisters for the older nations will be discontinued (or moved to parts service which for many is essentially the same thing) but I am very focussed at the moent on plugging gaps of things that are now appearing in box sets for my COA, KOB and PE just in case. If this does happen however, especially if it happens with little warning I think a lot of people are going to be annoyed.

In regards to the new minor nations I agains quite like the box set formula as it means I can go and buy 2 boxes of Italians and have the fleet done for gaming. However It is annoying that I cannot fill out squadrons that I like without having to get a whole other box (bombers....). Again there has been mention of things appearing on the parts service but not blisters.

I am more worried about (and I think it would cause more problems if) existing blisters for the big 7 nations were discontinued.

the other question it raises is new releases for existing nations. Will we need to wait for 4 or 5 new KOB models to come out at once in a box set rather than a steady trickle of blisters?

Guest Spartan Ricky

My friends and I started playing this game when it first came out. At one point we had as many as 20 players all at least playing the naval game. Then someone got the bright idea to change how you sell the product. Dropping blisters and selling everything in boxed sets. The whole problem with there new packaging system is that its stupid! I'm not buying, and neither are any of my friends, a 65 pound box set for the handful of models we need to play.  If they don't fix this soon they are going to lose a bunch of players in my area. A dozen players may not seam like a big lost to them but I'm sure we are not the only gaming group having problems with this system. Our LGS isn't going to continue ordering their stuff because they can't justify getting in all these expensive boxed sets when most of the players only buy their armies one blister at a time. What sales genius thought this up. This new system has completely killed the land game and is rapidly killing the naval. We've went from 40 to 50 DW games a week down to a half dozen. We really thought with the introduction of Australians, Chinese and Ottomans sales would pick up but they haven't because nobody wants to be tied into buying multiple army boxes to get the mix of units they want. Hopefully someone from Spartan has the guts to respond.

Hello. It's great to hear that you are a long-time fan and that you are part of such a thriving community of Dystopian Wars gamers, so we're obviously disappointed that you are concerned about our latest boxed sets. The boxed sets were a response to feedback from our stockists who were overwhelmingly in favour of us introducing them so that they can hold a larger range of our products at any one time. Blisters are still available for stockists to order and we anticipate that they will be stocked on a to-order basis.

We have also listened to feedback from our customers who have asked us to ensure future model releases more closely match squadron sizes. The vast majority of the new boxed sets contain models in their squadron sizes. We're aware that there are a few exceptions and we will address this in time. But please remember that we have only just released the alliance nation boxes!

The boxed sets also allow you to save around 10% compared to what you would pay if you purchased the equivalent in blisters. Many of our stockists also offer further discounts so you can make a great saving by opting for the boxed sets.

Another advantage is that boxed sets make the game much more friendly to newcomers. The range of Dystopian Wars models in huge and could be almost overwhelming for newcomers looking to get into the game. The boxed sets go along way to resolving this potential issue, helping to grow the game and give you more opponents to play against!

Just to add in the past Spartan always released boxed sets long before blisters - so I suspect this is what we are seeing again for the recent releases - the models are being put into boxed sets first and foremost because they help to sell the faction at large and advertise much more strongly than blisters. Later on Spartan generally does release blisters for individual units. They've done this for main factions and subfactions (anyone who recalls the Russians will recall that early on they were just in large boxed sets and that battleships, cruisers and frigates didn't come in their own box/blister till later). 

Guest Spartan Ricky

Makes me wonder why we don't have a swap or sell board on this forum. 

Selling and/or trades are not allowed on these boards i'm afraid.

Hello. It's great to hear that you are a long-time fan and that you are part of such a thriving community of Dystopian Wars gamers, so we're obviously disappointed that you are concerned about our latest boxed sets. The boxed sets were a response to feedback from our stockists who were overwhelmingly in favour of us introducing them so that they can hold a larger range of our products at any one time. Blisters are still available for stockists to order and we anticipate that they will be stocked on a to-order basis.

It is very reassuring to hear that blisters will continue to be available for the foreseeable future. Rather takes the pressure off stocking up.

I'm on the fence about the boxes but thats merely because I have most of my nations stuff and will pick & choose what I want - I will get another nation eventually once I get off my backside and paint my wonderful EotBS.

I do think it is excellent that the blisters will be continued on an order basis so I just have to plan in advance what I want to buy.

Guest Spartan Ricky

Some of the Air boxes are around that price, and you might want two of something in one of the  ~£32-35 boxes( eg squadron of destroyers), so need to buy two boxes just for those destroyers, again for around £65.

No because you can buy a box and a blister of destroyers or two blisters of destroyers.

I was thinking very much of the alliance nations, where the blisters are not yet available.

Personally, I like the boxes. However this isn't important. My partner gets home in three hours, and if she sees any sign of the three boxes of Italians currently on the painting table, then I won't be spending anything at all on models, as I'll be in hospital :unsure::wacko:

The boxed sets were a response to feedback from our stockists who were overwhelmingly in favour of us introducing them so that they can hold a larger range of our products at any one time. Blisters are still available for stockists to order and we anticipate that they will be stocked on a to-order basis.

So, just to make sure that I get it, my FLGS which just started to carry DWs and already has about a dozen "starter" naval boxes of various factions would just need to order blisters through its distributor, like how it just did for my Rhine Carrier, will stay the same?

How can anyone complain about the box sets? First off, they are all deals. You get more model for your money in every box. Second, I have heard nothing of them halting existing blisters.

So really then your complaint must fall to the new ally boxes. And on this, well, can't support your opinion there either. They are very nicely priced. They come with written rules for that faction. And they are large enough that you can actually start with one of them if you wanted to.

I just don't see how you got yourself so worked up over the box set releases. You had to have made some huge assumptions. Far better to ask questions instead of ranting. Once you know the deal, then feel free to rant and rave. :)

Boxed sets are great to new players and for new factions. Better price, fleet guide, new tokens/template sheets for some and I really love the new cool box to transport fleets. Maybe the black point is "2 flyers only" or "9 frigates"...

My LGS said boxes were less expensive and easier to handle/stock, so they are happy too. It's also more visible for customers, more people are intrigued due to that.

Yep the only worry people had was that the boxed sets would replace blisters for individual models and, as Spartan has said in the thread, the blisters won't be going away :) The boxed sets might be the most promenant on the shop shelves, but the blisters will always be out there.

Spartan just doesn't tend to sell blisters and boxed sets upon release of a new faction and tends to focus on the boxed sets with blisters being a little later in their production line up ( a month or so if I recall right from past releases).

We have also listened to feedback from our customers who have asked us to ensure future model releases more closely match squadron sizes. The vast majority of the new boxed sets contain models in their squadron sizes. We're aware that there are a few exceptions and we will address this in time. But please remember that we have only just released the alliance nation boxes!

The boxed sets also allow you to save around 10% compared to what you would pay if you purchased the equivalent in blisters. Many of our stockists also offer further discounts so you can make a great saving by opting for the boxed sets.

Except that the boxes have been screwed for squadron size too. I only wanted one more Bastion for my CF fleet so I had the full squadron. The flyer squadron is also short one. And since I never field anything less than full frigate squadrons the ninth one is USELESS. Great I saved 10%, but now I have to spend a lot extra to get the one miniature I need to fill my squadron. SPARTAN FAIL!

Except that the boxes have been screwed for squadron size too. I only wanted one more Bastion for my CF fleet so I had the full squadron. The flyer squadron is also short one. And since I never field anything less than full frigate squadrons the ninth one is USELESS. Great I saved 10%, but now I have to spend a lot extra to get the one miniature I need to fill my squadron. SPARTAN FAIL!

To a degree i agree... If Spartan agreed to start selling INDIVIDUAL models on a parts service basis that's fine. Otherwise please at least give full squadrons in the box sets, even if it means increasing the costs of the box sets, it just makes sense, and doesn't mean folks have to buy 2 box sets of naval and support to get full squadrons. Which i have had to.

Boxes are better because my God boxes are so much easier to do stuff with than blisters.

When I buy an entire fleet and stuff them inside my bag so I can take them home and prance un-naturally over the precious, precious resin, I much prefer it if I don't have spiky bits of plastic sticking in my back! Besides, a wall of grey doesn't exactly ram home just how pretty the Dystopian Wars models are, a wall of boxes covered in nice clean photos of lovely painted ships might as well grab me my the labels and mug me for all my money.