Sign in to follow this  
DanJ

Coherency

I've just bought some of the French Arbalete Medium Land Carriers and will be getting some Flak Tanks in the next month or so.

It would seem that that best way to use these formations would be to split the models up and spread them across the battle field to spread their effect rather than have a single inflexible unit.  Idealy I'd like to attach two of the flak tanks to each of my armoured regiments to bolster their ack ack rating.

This is how many armies have treat such units historically but the coherency rules would sem to prevent this.  Is there something in the rukles which I've missed which would allow this sort of flexibility or am I stuck with the coherency rules?

Currently, Flak Tanks cannot target Rockets that are NOT targeted at their own unit.  Also, they cannot attach to another unit. (unless I'm missing something as well)

They appear to only be viable for protecting areas from Tiny Flyers (which they do VERY well with their 8" range).

And I have yet to find anything that allows a unit to break base-to-base coherency. :(

I'd like to attach a couple of flak tanks to each of my armoured Legions to provide defence from rockets, dive bombers and other aerial nastyness, and attach an arbalete to launch a recon flight for my mortars.

Unfortunately neither of these very reasonable desires appears possible as the rules are written.

Theay will not protect against Rockets which are not directed at them but they can be used as a shield again small aircraft.

It says that as soon the aircraft get within 4" range of an enemy unit, this unit can use their ack ack against it.

Theay will not protect against Rockets which are not directed at them but they can be used as a shield again small aircraft.

It says that as soon the aircraft get within 4" range of an enemy unit, this unit can use their ack ack against it.

That is indeed what the rules say, although the flak tanks have an 8" range vs flyers.

My point is that as written the coherency rules force me to field my small airfields and flak tanks in single large units, this makes them very strong but very localised, I can provide cover for 1 or possibly 2 formations if I keep them close together.

A better and more (and I hesitate to use this word in a fantasy game) realistic method of using such assets would be to spread them out across the fighting units, unfortunately as written the coherency rules prevent this.

You can send them off to cover other units, it's just that they would count as 'out of command' for CP costa and activate as a different regiment to the covered force. I've often sent Battalions of medium tanks off to do there own thing, there work slightly less effectively due to the 'out of command', The 'touching base' issue is only for Battalions, so if you want to spread out, you just take the CP cost increases.

You can send them off to cover other units, it's just that they would count as 'out of command' for CP costa and activate as a different regiment to the covered force. I've often sent Battalions of medium tanks off to do there own thing, there work slightly less effectively due to the 'out of command', The 'touching base' issue is only for Battalions, so if you want to spread out, you just take the CP cost increases.

He means that you have multiple tanks in a battalion, which may not split up.

Personnally I'll choose the following option :

To check coherency, each model in a battalion only need to be in base contact with another, regardless of their orientation or position, at the last of the battalion movement.

So battalions should avoid obstacles when moving, and form columns, lines or squares. :P

He means that you have multiple tanks in a battalion, which may not split up.

That's exa ctly what I mean, a flak tank battalion has 4 models, I'd like to attach 2 models to each of by Armoured Legions to provide extra AA fire but the coherency rules mean that this is impossible as I've got to keep all thye flak tanks together as a single unit.