Lancaster Matt

Multi-player Games

At our club we often play games with more than one player a side. 

This week we had a 3 a side Armoured Clash game.

With most games, more players usually allows us to play bigger, more sociable games.
With Armoured Clash rules, as they are written only 1 battalion a side moves, with each formation activating in sequence. This means that more players just mean more waiting for your turn.

We are going to experiment with different options so all or most of the players can be active.

If we get it right it would mean that we can play some huge games in an evening.

Has anyone else come up with a workable model for this?

Hi Matt,

I've been thinking about this, one solution could be to distribute the formation activation cards equally (or as equally as possible) among the players on a side, then all the players on that side turn over and activate their formations simultaneously.

All other activation sequence rules would still apply; if side A has 3 players and side B has 3 players and side A has initiative all side A player turn over their first formation activation and move their first battalion.  Side B then discloses their formation activations and move their first battalion.

This should speed things up by a factor of 3.

One player should of course be regarded as the supreme commander and hold the command point tokens and turn cards, doling them out to is subordinates as he deems most apropriate :D

Dan

Rocket salvo from 3 battalions at the same time.. OUCH!!

The player going second could more easily see a Battalion wiped from the board before ever getting a chance to activate.

There has to be an answer in there somewhere tho.. Randomizing activations maybe? Everyone does Movement, then Everyone fires, then assaults, etc..

Let us know what you try and how it works! I'm curious.

Rocket salvo from 3 battalions at the same time.. OUCH!!

The player going second could more easily see a Battalion wiped from the board before ever getting a chance to activate.

There has to be an answer in there somewhere tho.. Randomizing activations maybe? Everyone does Movement, then Everyone fires, then assaults, etc..

Let us know what you try and how it works! I'm curious.

That could be a posiblity but the idea is to play larger games so you have more units on the table, more chance for the short range suff to get to grips.  It also has the advantage of being simple, a key concept when you have more than 1 person playing a game.

The only force I'm concerned about are the EoBS, they seem to have an inordinately large number of relatively cheap units with very long range.

From our 5 player game last night the more I think about it the more I am uneasy with what we tried, to main reasons, I also have a few ideas as well

first let me explain what we tried we activated 4 formations at time then all pointed to the active battalion in that formation then worked out if we were going to target one of the other active battalions, this seam very complicated to me.

reason one

I was getting very confused with what was happing and found the game hard to follow, I had no idea what was   going on with my team mate. this meant I could not move to help him out over his side of the battle at all it was like we were playing to game on one board.

reason two

the removal of initiative removes mean at a key command point drain is removed and also means initiative has to be worked out every time some one attacks a unit that is also activated 

Ok now from my quick ideas 4 player only or even numbers

special card should be pooled even number from both player that are playing together along with command points, as this will encourage team play.

both sides split the formation equally as possible. in a 4 player each side will have two stacks of activation cards player 1 and player 2  and the same from other side. so you will have 4 stacks. (these stacks have to be placed and used in different halves of the board)

then an initiative is rolled this determines which side picks which stack to draw from first, then the other side picks the diagonal stack of there.

next as normal the winner of initiative then decides to go first or second.

the game then carries on as normal with both players moving and firing at same time, after these two players have moved a battalion then the other two move a battalion using same initiative as the first two

so game should go like diagonal players 1 and 3 go then diagonal players 2 and 3 go.

this means that the 2 player how are not moving and fire etc. and the other 2 can keep an eye on what is going on. also initiative is kept in the game which i feel is important .This should increase the game speed up to nearly double when you get used to it. i know there are time that some one will want to fire on another active unit well you will have to use the initiative rolled to see which goes first, but this will be rare as you should be at longer ranges from each other as you are at diagonals from each other

thoughts please

Ps i know my spelling is not great its what come with being dyslexic

Some great ideas there Druss.

I agree that the system of everyone moving one unit at the same time was a bit confusing - definitely not helped by one side having 3 players - the other 2, and trying to balance that.

Also not so much time was saved because the targeted player needs to watch what the other is doing and react accordingly (play cards, roll shield dice etc) - so facing opponents tend to move alternately anyway.

I think we try simpler "Dan" system next.

In truth, currently one side can target a unit multiple times before it can react (if that Units formation is late to activate) - so the ganging up might not be such a big issue.

After trying a 2 on 2 we could think how best to cope with uneven numbers.