Sign in to follow this  
Sanguinary Dan

Magnetizing the Cerberus Convertible Generator?

It's actually the new Australian Pocket Battleship.

The fore turret is on a sliding structure that when open converts the Shield Generator to a Guardian Generator. And that's the rub. Without a magnet the damned things will be falling off every other game turn. But making a magnet slide AND stay in place once moved? Bit beyond me. :(

Hi Dan - you need 3 extra magnets drill one 4 mm from the rear of the drop on and one 18 mm from the rear then you drill one 4mm from the opening on the deck. its fiddly but worth it my drop ons kept falling off in my first couple of games with them -

have also ended up taking a razor saw to the bridge section of my affondatore carriers and magnetizing it back on owing to them being just too tall for my fleet storage boxes .

am also prepping my chinese atm and the Jiam battleship with all its drop ons takes 10 mags each ! couple that with a custom osprey i'm building where all engine pods are poseable with magnets and its just fun with magnets week .......yay !

will post some pics soon

Sorry to say myth but i think you have things confused on the chinese bb. The drop ons for it are the rockets and armour peices. The 2 part gun pieces are to make the crusers gunships.

really ? I Feel a bit silly now .............Thanks for that Althorin ......too many models not enough sleep .... must finish Australians/Chineese before the turks arrive

Alternatively there is a square marker under the sliding area that is always covered in both positions. Put one 3mm magnet centred in it and then 2 in lid piece. One front and one back so ou can lock it open or closed. It is what I will most likely do with mine. I'm still deciding.

With the Aussie BB, I was thinking of coming up from the bottom of the hull to put two magnets on the ship and then having one on the slide.

Finished my two and it works well.

Drilled up just over half way from the bottom and put the magnets in.

I went with second option it took just 5 mins. Do the main ship first. Then put a dab of paint on the magnet. Then put sliding piece carefully ontop in open position. The paint will mark your hole position. Glue magnet in checking polarity. Then repeat for closed position. Take your time and center the holes and it will sit perfectly in either position. You should have between half to 1mm of resin outside the magnet. So be careful.

I will hopefully upload some photos tommorrow. My phone won't let me.

Most of the fleet has no moving parts but that convertable is easily the most challenging conversion I have done for spartan products. In saying that it was way easier than it looks! It's one extra magnet than a regular magnetised turret! And with some careful drilling and correct polarity you won't have any issues!

I put a magnet in the hole for the turret. Using that as my planned anchor point I figured out where to drill up from the bottom for my two points (open and closed). If you plan on drilling from the bottom one trick to make sure you don't go all the way thru is as you get to the final few mm hold up the model to a light and that will help you judge how close you are getting. The brighter the light in the hole the less resin is left (Hold it deck towards the light and look up thru the bottom). I used the next size up magnet in the model than I used in the turret and used a stack of 3 of them per hole to make a stronger attraction.

I went with second option it took just 5 mins. Do the main ship first. Then put a dab of paint on the magnet. Then put sliding piece carefully ontop in open position. The paint will mark your hole position. Glue magnet in checking polarity. Then repeat for closed position. Take your time and center the holes and it will sit perfectly in either position. You should have between half to 1mm of resin outside the magnet. So be careful.

I will hopefully upload some photos tommorrow. My phone won't let me.

Stellar work, westy! Awesome tutorial!

:lol:

I put a magnet in the hole for the turret. Using that as my planned anchor point I figured out where to drill up from the bottom for my two points (open and closed). If you plan on drilling from the bottom one trick to make sure you don't go all the way thru is as you get to the final few mm hold up the model to a light and that will help you judge how close you are getting. The brighter the light in the hole the less resin is left (Hold it deck towards the light and look up thru the bottom). I used the next size up magnet in the model than I used in the turret and used a stack of 3 of them per hole to make a stronger attraction.

You can wrap some tape around your drill bit so you can get close quickly. The tape will indicate the desired depth and when you reach it stop drilling!

I like you idea as no magnets will show- great thinking

You can wrap some tape around your drill bit so you can get close quickly. The tape will indicate the desired depth and when you reach it stop drilling!

I like you idea as no magnets will show- great thinking

Thanks, I try and hide my magnets when ever I can. I forgot about the tape as its an old shop class trick, yes I used it to get depth fast.

The Italian Carrier I completely mag'ed out so it can come apart it has so much detail that it felt criminal to hide it all or harm it. So when it came time for the Ausies it felt only natural to do the same for the generator.