ender321

Top Paint Washes

hello everyone, im looking at getting a good wash, im currently using vallejo lines of paint "game color, model color and my fav model air" but i have not used the washes, and now they have two different washes, vallejo model wash and vallejo game color wash. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know if one is better than the other or to just go with a different brand in general, Thanks guys!

As far as I can tell the only difference is that Game Colour use fantasy and Sci-Fi oriented colours and names, whereas Model Colour is aimed at historicals.  I haven't noticed any difference in the quality or consistency of paints and washes from the two lines myself. 

The Vallejo washes work fine for me, although I can't say that I've used a lot of other washes so I can't really compare them to other major lines.  I used to make my own washes, but time and convenience have finally pushed me to just stock up on the Vallejo ones.

I haven't used Vallejo inks personally but as I understand it, they're concentrated pigment for use in making your own blends and washes.  Probably the best way to get a handle on how to use those is to go looking for instructional videos on youtube, there are usually no shortage of decent demonstrations and tutorials on this sort of subject. 

I've used inks and washes a bit. It's my understanding that washes are basically just diluted inks (or inks are concentrated washes, depending on your preference). A wash can be applied full strength with minimal cleanup. With inks, unless you are intending to make the model extremely dark, you have to paint water over the ink to spread it out. You can also draw much of the ink away from the model with a damp brush, but if you don't do one or the other, even the high areas will be thoroughly blackened. 

I have Citadel washes/inks but some react badly with varnish and cause frosting. i mainly use oil washes or thinned paint washes or none at all. Ive always wanted to try making my own washes using Les' recipe

but I've never got round to doing it. If anyone has please let us know how you got on.

good news im using vallejo washes and inks and they are working great! one thing i would recommend is add 1 medium to 1

when using the ink due to the fact that it will get into the pockets better than the wash and does not stay on the raised resin as much as the normal wash does

good news im using vallejo washes and inks and they are working great! one thing i would recommend is add 1 medium to 1

when using the ink due to the fact that it will get into the pockets better than the wash and does not stay on the raised resin as much as the normal wash does

It also helps if you gloss varnish before washing, helps the wash find all the shading easier.

I mix my own washes using a mixture of paint and PVC (white) glue. The glue raises the surface tension and can create some nice patterns. There are some great tutorials for making your own washes. Just do a google search and find something that works for you.

It also helps if you gloss varnish before washing, helps the wash find all the shading easier.

nice i havent used any varnish yet what kind of effect does it have because as of right now i feel i can just peel the paint off if i wanted kinda has a sticky feeling when i hold the model does it get rid of that sticky feel?

nice i havent used any varnish yet what kind of effect does it have because as of right now i feel i can just peel the paint off if i wanted kinda has a sticky feeling when i hold the model does it get rid of that sticky feel?

Sounds like your paint ain't dry if its tacky. Try running a hair dryer over it or leave it a little longer to dry.

Sounds like your paint ain't dry if its tacky. Try running a hair dryer over it or leave it a little longer to dry.

its been dry for weeks it just feels kinda sticky hard to explain but it bugs me i use vallejo model air

I may have misunderstood, by sticky, do you mean after cleaning with Detol? If so yes, I agree it does. Drying with a hair dryer ensures that no fibres get stuck to the mini when drying. Once dry (though tacky) you can add your undercoat/primer, you won't notice any tackiness after that.

I may have misunderstood, by sticky, do you mean after cleaning with Detol? If so yes, I agree it does. Drying with a hair dryer ensures that no fibres get stuck to the mini when drying. Once dry (though tacky) you can add your undercoat/primer, you won't notice any tackiness after that.

no you where spot on its after i paint it and let it dry it feels tacky and it is easily flacked off should i try detol instead of dishwasher soap?

Ok, Detol is only to be used for stripping paint. A little detergent in the warm water for washing the new (unpainted) minis. I'm not sure why your minis are tacky, it may be the Vallejo model air paints, but i doubt it; I've not used them myself (others on the from who have may be able to support us here). Did you use a lot of detergent to wash them before painting, if they were covered in suds, the answer is yes. You maybe should have rinsed the minis a little more.

If its any help I recently masked a mini before airbrushing, when removing the mask the paint chipped. As it is in a place where the paintwork is a solid colour, I will re prime the patch, then paint as normal.

What about purple power I hear its really good, do you have any recommendations cuz normal dish soup isn't doing it and I let them soak in it for a day after cleaning them with soup and an oral b electric brush

What about purple power I hear its really good, do you have any recommendations cuz normal dish soup isn't doing it and I let them soak in it for a day after cleaning them with soup and an oral b electric brush

I've never used purple power so I can't comment.

What do you want the purple power to do? I've watched a YouTube on using it for stripping minis and it looks to work well, though it will also dissolve any superglue bonds (which may/may not be a good thing).