Sign in to follow this  
YdoUcare33

Fleet Magnetization

I'm wanting to magnetize the cranes for my Rudnitsky and the turrets for the rest of my fleet. I went to my local hobby store and picked up a small roll of rubberized magnet with adhesive on one side.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best way to secure these magnets to resin and pewter?

Super glue works great. However, I found that magnetizing these was difficult, if not impossible. The problem is that when you add magnets to models this size the width of the magnet, even if its quite thin, is very visible and throws off the proportions. With turrets and most generators I drill a hole into which the magnet can sit flush with the bit. But with the cranes there is really no room to drill. I usually use 3mmx1mm circular rare earth magnets, but you might be able to find even smaller ones?

I had the same problem. But on the bottom of the crane i cut it off and replaced with the magnet to retain the height etc and painted it black to match.

The one on the rails i glued it to the (box) and then used magnets to attach the box to the rails. 

Be careful when removing the crane from the base of the cruiser, as i found the super glue didn't hold the magnet good enough and would come away and stay with the magnet drilled into the base of the cruiser

post-2964-0-08247700-1366381668_thumb.jp

I use supper glue (I find the gel kind works better than liquid) and greenstuff. The rare earth magnets can be set in and glued in place then fill in around them and a thin layer (like 1mm) over them they are strong enough that they work thru several mm with out issue.

Cool, that turned out nice Deckard.

Do you have another way to attach the magnet besides super glue? (since you said it comes loose)

Only have the superglue, so i grap the magnet and not the crane when removing the crane from the body of the ship. This should hopefully cure the problem of the magnet being stronger than the glue and coming away from the crane

Thanks for the advice guys, I actually went the lazy route and just super glued it in place :P . I was pressed for time on the model (wanted it finished for our next match).

But I may eventually magnetize my fleet's turrets, so my question wasn't in vain lol.