liability

how much would you pay for a model ?

i was watching on ebay a  Aronnax Class Submersible which sells for £8.00 in the uk ,the one on ebay when for just over £40.00 with the postage,this one was painted nicely but i think the buyer payed a bit to much ,i'm sorry if the person who bought it is on the forum but if that person is maybe they could say why they bought one when they could of bought five :)

Guest Spartan Ricky

That's a rather peculiar question. I'm guessing that the individual put a lot of value in the fact the model is already painted to a high standard. Models painted to a high standard do generally sell for more that unpainted models.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to begin a thread with a question aimed directly at another member of the Spartan Games Community (that's what PMs are for). This has been moved to the Covenant of Antarctica sub-forum. 

Hi

I was the seller of the Aronax which I think you are talking about and you do raise an interesting question - Why buy painted miniatures?

I sell painted miniatures on eBay now and then and the proceeds help to pay for my wargaming hobby. I think that the people who buy from me fall into three main groups:

• People who do not have the time to paint themselves
  • People who struggle to paint because of failing eyesight
  • People who are buying fleets on behalf of a larger wargaming group and who want a consistent look to their fleet

I think that I paint to a reasonable standard. I always get good feedback and I have people who come back to me for more so they must be happy but I'm not a professional by any means and I don't do it as a business.

As for the price, well if it is an eBay auction then that is down to the buyers. I tend to start my auctions around the basic price of an unpainted model so if it doesn't get lots of bids then the only thing I have lost is the time I spent painting.

You might also have seen that I was selling a painted Aufseher Assault Ship at the same time. That cost me just over 12 pounds to buy but only sold for 22 pounds. After fees that doesn't leave much profit to cover the time spent painting it, but that is the risk you take when selling on eBay.

If someone asks me to paint for them then to supply a painted miniature I will ask 3 or 4 times the basic price of the model, depending on the complexity of the paintwork, whether decals are required, etc. This is a fairly standard rate for decently painted miniatures. I also paint WW2 infantry and tanks and the same sort of prices apply.

I don't know why the person bought the Aronax from me or whether he is a Spartan Forum member but I do know that he has bought many single ships and whole fleets from me in the past so he must be pleased with my work.

I think this is an interesting subject to talk about and I'm glad you raised the question.

Cheers,

Andy

People who struggle to paint because of failing eyesight

This is an interesting point and one which I think a lot of people may not have considered.  I've talked with people who really like the printer friendly version of my stat cards because of this very reason -- the fact that they can enlarge and print out an easy to use, high contrast set of cards helps keep them able to play the game.  That never occurred to me before I started.

I had eye surgery a while back and for a while afterwards, while I was still adjusting, I couldn't paint at all.  I knew it was short term but it really hits you that, for a lot of people, it's something they just have to live with.

As a decent painter(eBay seller), I was also pleasantly surprised at the prices people will pay for well painted minis. Personally I always look for unpainted minis, and painted ones mean that I have to apply stripper before enjoying my purchase. I have come to realise, for many of the reasons mentioned above that people will happily pay several times the initial cost of the mini when well painted. I have to say though that there are some buyers who pay 'silly money' for some things.

Yes eyesight is an issue for a lot of people. Also conditions such as arthritis can be a reason for buying painted miniatures.

There is another possible reason for buying from a private seller and that is the question of postal costs.

I must stress that I am NOT including Spartan Games in my next comment because they have a post-free option depending on the size of the order but some UK wargames companies will charge a flat rate of 25% - 30% to send items from the UK to destinations outside of Europe and that will potentially add a large amount of money to the price you pay for your miniatures.

For companies like Spartan to offer a free post option must be costing them a lot, especially now that the UK Royal Mail postage prices have rocketed, so I applaud them for doing this but I guess they have to do it in order to compete with other online stores.

Rather than a flat postage rate I just charge buyers what the Royal Mail charges me so whilst paying 25 pounds to send a large number of painted miniatures from the UK to the USA sounds like a lot of money it can be much less than the postage would cost when buying from other sources, and I use a tracked insured postage option.

Cheers,

Andy

...... I have to say though that there are some buyers who pay 'silly money' for some things.

Yes I agree, and this also brings up the subject of "supply and demand".

I see very few painted Dystopian Wars miniatures on eBay. Admittedly DW is probably a much smaller game in terms of number of players than say one of GW's games. At any time you can find hundreds of painted GW figures on eBay, painted with varying levels of skill, but even so I would have expected to see more painted DW stuff. However, if there's not much out there then people will pay a premium to buy painted DW ships.

A final point from me - I feel that having painted DW models for sale on eBay can act as a sort of advert for the game itself. Potential players might be encouraged to take up the game if they can see how nice the miniatures are once painted up, and I'm sure everyone here agrees that Spartan turn out very nice looking models.

Cheers,

Andy

Personally I have always derived a significant satisfaction from painting my own models so I wouldn't normally consider buying painted models from someone else.

I can however see why people might want to contract out painting to someone else for the reasons above or just because they don't feel they paint to a good enough standard or dislike painting all together. I keep debating doing some commission work myself.

This is a very similar question to that of paying someone else to grind your mmo for you.

Personally I spend more time painting then I do gaming and I've sold many painted minis on eBay not (DWars). This has led to commission work. As a new player to DWars and due to not playing so many games, I haven't chosen the nation(s) I will collect. I have starter sets for four nations, but I'm unsure if I would like to sell them. The price would have to be at least double what I bought them for (due to the investment of time).

I personally love coming up with livery/colour schemes for my models. However im not a great painter so i can understand why people will pay for a paint job. Myself however i have not done so i think i would if paintjobs were cheaper but the time it takes puts them out of my price range, combine that with the fact that if i paid what i wanted painters would not make enough money means im uklikley to ever have a pro painted force.

@AndyT: As I also sell painted models on Ebay I regularly check to see whats out there. I have always admired your work! 

I think I fit into a small niche market of just-better-enough-than-average-to-sell. I have never had any trouble selling items, but they certainly don't go for a premium: just enough to let me wargame for free!

Out of curiousity, do you guys use airbrushes, and if so what is your set up? I am thinking of getting one, but I don't know how useful it will be for DW scale.

I understand both sides. I like painting stuff but im rather slow with that so usually i have more stuff then i can possibly paint. So i thought about painted stuff on multiple occasions, so far it was too explensive for my taste though. Also i dont like that i cant add other models to the fleet on my own because i wont be able to simulate the other paint style.

Personally I spend more time painting then I do gaming and I've sold many painted minis on eBay not (DWars). This has led to commission work. As a new player to DWars and due to not playing so many games, I haven't chosen the nation(s) I will collect. I have starter sets for four nations, but I'm unsure if I would like to sell them. The price would have to be at least double what I bought them for (due to the investment of time).

Same here - I very rarely get the chance to play wargames but I love to paint when I have some free time.

You are right that the selling price needs to be at least double. If, for example, you paint and sell a naval battle group boxed set, that is going to cost around 30 pounds if you buy from one of the usual online sellers. If you sell it on eBay for 60 you then have to deduct your costs which will probably be 8-10 pounds. That leaves you with a 20 quid profit and that doesn't work out well if you convert it into an hourly rate ! Of course that ignores the peripheral costs e.g. paint and decals maybe. You won't get rich by painting wargames miniatures.

Also, although I do have people that contact me direct to paint a lot of the different DW fleets I find that buyers on eBay tend to want the latest releases. If I were selling painted models from one of the original four fleets I would not expect to get a great price for them, simply because there are fewer potential buyers. Yes there are new people joining the hobby all the time but there is not the demand for a basic FSA fleet (for example) as there was when the game was first introduced. However, if I were able to get a painted Italian fleet onto eBay in the next couple of months then I would be fairly confident of getting a good price for them.

I have the Italians pre-ordered - can't wait to get my hands on them ! :)

Cheers, Andy

@AndyT: Out of curiousity, do you guys use airbrushes, and if so what is your set up? I am thinking of getting one, but I don't know how useful it will be for DW scale.

I have several airbrushes and love using them. My favourite by far is a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution CR plus with a 1.5 needle and added 'quick fix' device. My compressor is an eBay special with reserve tank. In terms of use with DWars minis, I undercoat, basecoat and highlight the main colours; add object source lighting for sturginium affects and varnish. I really enjoy painting this way, its speeds the whole process up and gives great results. I'm just finishing my EotBS starter set. I will post pics to the forum when finished.

I would love to try an airbrush but don't know whether one which could do fine enough lines would be too expensive.

I'm guessing that the really cheap airbrush option with a can of propellant isn't going to be any good for small models?

I would love to try an airbrush but don't know whether one which could do fine enough lines would be too expensive.

I'm guessing that the really cheap airbrush option with a can of propellant isn't going to be any good for small models?

I started with the citadel airbrush, in no way useful for detail, ok for base coating/varnishing. I then got an Chinese import set from eBay. Was ok, but didn't give me much control to do the finer detail. I got the H&S along with improved compressor at Christmas and haven't looked back. You definitely get what you pay for. I would suggest you take a look at some YouTube vids on getting an airbrush; if you want specific suggestions let me know and I'll point you to some.

...... if you want specific suggestions let me know and I'll point you to some.

Thanks mate. When I've got some spare cash I'd appreciate some guidance.

Cheers, Andy

i too sell a lot of painted miniatures , and put myself in the "better than average but not as good as a proffesional " category of painter.

i find that most of my customers fall into the category of people who love models (of any game system) but who have no modelling or painting skill. Some of them are gamers who want to play with a painted fleet others just want to collect minis , whatever the reason it helps to sustain my Dytstopian habbit and since i prefer the modeling/painting side of the hobby anyway , its all good ^_^

For a number of reasons I prefer to buy pre-painted models or get other people to paint them (between my various hobbies and commitments I'm very time poor, my hands shake a bit and I generally suck at painting). Today I struck a deal that I would buy the minis and undercoat them black (just spray them) then for 20% of the price listed on the Spartan Games store site the painter will paint them in a way that looks very nice for a normal tabletop fleet (not showcase quality, but I'm sure for a higher fee I could get that if I liked). That was the price he offered, I would have gone to 100% of the list price, so I'm stoked :)

For a number of reasons I prefer to buy pre-painted models or get other people to paint them (between my various hobbies and commitments I'm very time poor, my hands shake a bit and I generally suck at painting). Today I struck a deal that I would buy the minis and undercoat them black (just spray them) then for 20% of the price listed on the Spartan Games store site the painter will paint them in a way that looks very nice for a normal tabletop fleet (not showcase quality, but I'm sure for a higher fee I could get that if I liked). That was the price he offered, I would have gone to 100% of the list price, so I'm stoked :)

archer at 20% of the list price yoi've done well . i charge between 100% to 200 % if your happy with the workyou've got a bargain

As long as the buyer and the painter are happy then that is all that matters but (in UK currency) painting a naval starter fleet for less than 7 pounds when it will have taken me several weeks to complete just doesn't make financial sense for me.

Cheers, Andy