Sign in to follow this  
theIronSoldier

Cleaning minis before painting?

As some of you know, I paint A LOT of minis (I've got my 13th fleet box on the table), but I have had a consistant problem cleaning recent purchases.

I usually wash resin mini with warm water and dish soap, but this has not been working. The last batch I did I washed and scrubbed (coarse brush AND toothbrush) THREE times before priming and I STILL had paint flaking off on about half the models.

I emailed Spartan about it, and they were no help. They weren't sure what the problem is... maybe something to do with the kind of silicon they use. No solution.

In any case, I need to wash a lot of minis and I can't soak them all in Dettol every time.

So: Any suggestions? Anyone having the same problem?

Has anyone ever used a dish-washer or washing machine to do minis? 

I was thinking of constructing some kind of container out of old strainers to keep everything together and just running it through 5 or 6 cycles. Would the heat or soap be a problem for resin? I don't think so but... still worried about it.

Totally frustrated....

Never had need to wash any of the DW minis (my DL didn't turn out so great and I think that was the problem)

I've just pulled em out the box and used GW primer sprays - done deal.

First batch of DW models I used warm water and washing up liquid - overall they were fine. I sprayed them all black. The second batch were much more hit and miss and those i didnt use spray undercoat (ie brushed on undercoat) were really bad - so perhaps its the approach to undercoating??

I would certainly be cautious about putting them through a dish water or washing machine, I've seen what my efforts do to my wardrobe never mind much treasured mini's! :P

For resin ships I have used a cleaner similar to Windex or 409, followed by a a wipe and blot with a paper towel, followed by a rinse with water, followed by hand drying, and finished up with air drying.

For all I know the brands I linked to are all controlled by the same mega-corp.. :unsure: ..I did not check and if so, I am not their paid employee. Your ULBBRO (Unfriendly Local Big-Box Retail Outlet) may stock different but similar products.

Somewhere around here there is a thread where GolemGary (I think it was) gently argued that washing minis was an utterly unnecessary exercise. You might search for that thread---get all view points.

Or you might try this pinned thread (leads to another forum; but not to worry: it uses the same forum software as this one but in a different color scheme) from the craft corner sub section of the ReaperMinis forums. It is pinned because they exhaustively discuss washing, cleaning, and stripping miniatures, and cover reactions between various solvents, cleaning agents, and raw materials miniatures might be made from.

Edited to add a link to a thread in the DLegions sub forums...

Edited by Pendrake

I run every model I paint from anywhere through a full 5 minute cycle of my ultra sonic cleaner filled with hot water + salt + vinegar + washing up liquid, I then prime with automotive primer, I then give all my models a matte varnish once finished.

They work fine so far :)

I generally clean all my resin models that come from forgeworld but i never had to clean my DW models. Like most people above i normally use hot water, soap and an old toothbrush.

Like many above I have never had any paint chipping problems and I don't have an elaborate cleaning process. I did ultra sonically clean once, but this was after paint stripping. Anyway, my question would be more towards the primer you use, maybe this is the issue! I have used GW in the past which was fine. I now use Vellejo primer through my airbrush, which is fantastic.

Thanks guys! It sounds like the problem is probably something else. 

1. Maybe primer? I have been using Army Painter.

2. Maybe temperature? This last group was done when it was pretty cold (3-7 C?)

The thing is, when it does start flaking it isn't uniform and some models (particularly smalls) are totally fine. Any ideas?

Thanks guys! It sounds like the problem is probably something else. 

1. Maybe primer? I have been using Army Painter.

2. Maybe temperature? This last group was done when it was pretty cold (3-7 C?)

The thing is, when it does start flaking it isn't uniform and some models (particularly smalls) are totally fine. Any ideas?

Ive never used army painter, but i hear its a good primer. Temp and humidity Asleep mentioned is an issue at the extreems. Are you leaving your layers of paint to dry thoughly before adding another? From past experiance i know this can be a problem, expecially when applying a rough drydrushing. If i am speed painting, I always use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process. Ideally leave overnight between coats.

From someone who lives in sunny and humid south Florida, humidity and temperature matter.

Also: 2 of the guys I game with are professional painters. 1 owns a furnature repair shop and paints minis for a website for sale. The other is his employee. He paints models for local players and also sells on feebay and at gaming conventions.

They swear by washing everything. Minis and furnature.

READ THE LABELS. All paints say to prepare the surface, by cleaning it of oils and reisdues. [like from your hands]