Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citizen Valoix

Citizen Valoix's FSA

Impressive, nice use of highlighting on the cloth and the bases are just dandy! Never realised that the good major had such a flat 'boxers' nose (unless he got too close to the croc at one point...) ;)

Well, I've got pretty much all I have painted up now; I'll really have to take a photo of the infantry at some point. 
Anyway, here are the Hotchkiss and the Patriot. 

It took me ages to get the Hotchkiss to go together properly; there's nothing more disheartening than watching it just fall to bits for like the fifth time. I'm no good at building these things. post-1087-0-37633800-1368910435_thumb.jp

post-1087-0-05181600-1368910439_thumb.jp

post-1087-0-79145000-1368910443_thumb.jp

post-1087-0-01755100-1368910448_thumb.jp

In terms of the actual base, that's the one you get with the Hotchkiss. It's quite deep, so it's got two layers of sand coated in PVA in it. On top of that I have a small white stone that I found and painted grey, GW static grass, and Woodland Scenics foliage that you get with their tree kit. I had quite a bit left over, so I use some of the darker, pine-shaded foliage and brush a bit of Vallejo blue violet on it to make it look like a flowering bush - heather or some such. I did once put yellow on to make it look like Gorse, but it's less convincing (and it's not that convincing anyway).

Nicly painted Hotchkiss and Patriot. Finally I can have a look on the models of the Hotchkiss. I found it to be one of the "ugliest" field pieces till now. But it seems to have some beauty too. I love the F.I. that has striped off his jacket and roll up his sleeves to do his sweaty and bloody work.

It's the guy bent crouching down with his hands over his ears that really makes the Hotchkiss, I think. I always thought it was the best looking of the field pieces (Prussia comes close, but there's more of a horizontal and mechanical elegance to the Hotchkiss), but it's the guy with covered ears that really gives you a sense of how very very LOUD it must be.

I think I'll try to get a group photo later in the week, though; thank you all for your very kind comments!

I didn't realise you got those bases with the guns, they look great for doing littel dioramas on. I'd love to get my hands on some extras (of course I'll get one with my Britannian Gun section).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.