Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DDR

Kob Fighter Plane

Hi,

I wanted some themed scenery at low cost. Using the 1:48 scale as a guide I picked up a SMER Bristol Bulldog aircraft kit.

It resembles the Dystopian Wars KoB Tiny Flier, and will act as light cover/an objective for games of Dystopian Legions.

Having not put together an Airfix style plastic model kit in years I did get to the point where I'd wished I'd gone for one of the single wing models as the upper wing took some co-ordination to stick into place.

Despite that small issue, I was able to assemble it fairly quickly. I gave it a quick spray of green paint, added some brown patches and was then happily surprised with the colourful decals provided with the kit.

One of the big decals did start to split, but that was probably due to my heavy handedness.

Overall build time was a couple of hours, with another couple of hours a day later for spraying/painting. Not bad for a kit that cost less than £6.

SMER do a fairly good range of early planes, some of which look suitable for the Dystopian world. The kits appear to be widely available on the net or in model shops.

I've put a couple of PE models for size comparison in the photo (which are a bit blurry, couldn't find a macro setting on the camera).

post-41-0-73683700-1362497425_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-10766500-1362497429_thumb.jpg

Nice find DDR

It is a pretty good fit size wise. A touch small perhaps but not enough to really matter. Get a couple of these and some tents and you could play a nice themed game with the Prussians attacking a KoB airfield.

The decals do finish it off really quite nicely.

Nice find DDR

It is a pretty good fit size wise. A touch small perhaps but not enough to really matter. Get a couple of these and some tents and you could play a nice themed game with the Prussians attacking a KoB airfield.

The decals do finish it off really quite nicely.

I concur with most of the above.

As far as scale goes, in these shots, the figures make the airplane look a little small but the plane makes the Kettentankette [sp?] look like it is built to be operated by children. It is sort of surprising when they are all seen together.

This might be a scale illusion partly caused by the figure bases.

Placing the airplane (temporarily) on a base equal in thickness to the figure's bases might help the plane look more in scale with the figures. DDR, if you find the macro setting and decide to have another go at photos that might be something to try. A 30mm round under the tail skid and a 50mm under the main gear?

Model vehicle scale vs miniature figure scale is always interesting - people bend and fold and models don't. People can fit in vehicles that when to scale don't look feasible.

I've placed the plane on some bases to give it more height to help compensate against the models being on bases as requested.

I've also put some KoB models next to the plane, as the PE seem to be a bigger build than the FSA and KoB models.

Bristol Bulldog5

Bristol Bulldog4

Bristol Bulldog8

Bristol Bulldog7

Bristol Bulldog6

Although, I seriously wonder about how the scale for DL vehicles will be. I know Spartan says DW is 1:1200 scale, that means even the small tanks like the Ke Ho and the Pioneer will be huge. The Pioneer specifically is the size of Maus, or in 1:48 scale, 8.9" long. Which is larger than a 40k baneblade.

I haven't measured the tiny token planes this will represent, but I would guess properly scaled with the DW models they should be bigger. I think the tiny stuff in DW may be upscaled for ease of play and seeing detail though.

All said and done though, I'm worried that the vehicles will be a significantly smaller scale than the infantry models. The tankettes look to me like they wouldn't even fit a person, much less have room for the mechanisms to actually allow it to drive and fight. The pictures of the APC's also really seem a lot smaller than they should to my eyes.

Check out some of the early real world tankettes.

The Polish TKS tankette to 1:48 scale is roughly 5.3cm long x 3.7cm wide x 2.8cm high.

The PE tankette is roughly 5.5cmm x 3.4cm x 3.3cm.

There's a cutaway drawing of one with 2 crewmen in this link - http://derela.republika.pl/tk_con.htm - look closely and you can see the back of the second crewman just behind the first.

The Dystopian Legions tankettes are tiny, but tankettes were in real life.

Even the small ones tanks in Dystopian War tanks are as big as houses.

I kind of imagine that the tanks for Dystopian Legions would be smaller than that - the majority of vehicles we'd use in DL would be best represented as part of infantry tokens in DW. 

Looks just the thing to have Flasheart Bertie standing next to.  A couple of Nissan Huts and a windsock, a couple of trucks and a few fuel drums, a marked out grass strip and you've got the makings of a great battlefield....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.