Retired_Admin

Official Kurak Alliance Thread: Veydreth

Im wondering how they will perform in a KA support fleet (so no lizards) without a Veydreth core. Perhaps a Tarakian or Hawker core with the Hunters. Thoughts?

I'm planning on using my Veydreth with Xelocians, Tarakians, and Terquai, so I'll let you know. Those are the three alliance nations I've considered them with.

In theory, however, I think that Veydreth will serve well alongside both of those, anyway. Both Xelocians and Tarakians are good at project firepower forward (Xelocians somewhat better thanks to their beams, though Tarakians can also do potent torpedoes), which means that they can soften up targets on the approach, making them ripe for Veydreth picking!). Tarakians can help put more Hazard markers on the targets (high energy torpedoes), which improves the chances that your opponent's ships will suffer CP loss. Xelocians can put Corrosion markers on their targets. Corrosive and High Energy don't do the same thing, it's true, but it's also true that the more times you make your opponent roll dice to avoid something bad happening, the more bad things are going to be happening to them!

It's especially evil if you're in a narrative or special scenario environment where your opponent is getting rerolls thanks to something... make him waste them on all those checks and you'll be able to trounce him in the normal game.

The Terquai do kind of the same things as the Veydreth, but they do them while driving around in more durable ships. Terquai can act as an anchor for a combined force, giving your fleet something to rally around so everything doesn't just collapse when you start taking casualties (the way it can with Veydreth).

Im wondering how they will perform in a KA support fleet (so no lizards) without a Veydreth core. Perhaps a Tarakian or Hawker core with the Hunters. Thoughts?

As Neither Tarakians or Hawker possess a destroyer, the Hunter could complement those two fleets nicely. Also, both of those fleets typically like to maneuver into closer ranges to their opponent, something the Hunter can still do. Plus, with a big nasty battleship from either one of the others, the Hunters may end up lower on the target priority list.

So painted the hunters and did a little converting. Meet a modified Veydreth destroyer, the Ghiscari (GoT fans?) of the Red Maw tribe. Went with a rusty, well-worn look. Added Ork decals and 'writing' in red to bring out the species' tribal nature. I wanted to be able to use it as an assault cruiser as well...so I've glued on a couple of magnets under it and magnetized a couple of fleetscale fighters that are supposed to represent heavy assault shuttles. They are detachable and can be mounted on a small GW round base and used as markers to show that a ship has been captured or is damaged etc. 

IMG_1230_zps17ds5yz8.jpg

IMG_1258_zpspznueti5.jpg
More images on my painting thread-
http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/14895-darkjedis-alliance-of-kurak-and-misc-ships-plog/

Man, darkjedi203. Your ships have left me really conflicted. I had thought of painting my Veydreth to look corroded, but then dismissed it because things in space wouldn't corrode... but you make it look really good! Darn it...

Corrosion can come from within . . .

Besides the metaphysical implications, any oxidation or similar processes could start inside the ship, where there is an atmosphere. Also galvanic corrosion occurs when two dissimilar metals are in contact with each other and an electrolytic solution (doesn't have to be water). This could be a liquid system that conveys repair bots or coolant or maybe some weird science defensive measures that are in close proximity to the outer hull. There are several ways for metals to weaken and become susceptible to corrosion. Not all of it involves water and atmosphere.

NASA put a couple satellites into orbit (low and high) which had panels of different materials on them to see how they would handle space.   Some of the metals looked sand blasted and pitted after a year in space.  I believe they explained it was solar wind particles.   Imagine going into a system with an even more energetic sun.    It certainly could look as if the metal was corroded and pitted.    I have no idea what other types of radiation would do to an outer ship hull after just 5 years of operation.    I really like darkjedi's paint schemes.

The models just arrived!

I've got to say that they are way cooler than I thought they'd be - especially the battleship, which is much sleeker than it looks online.

Also, I've decided to do half of my cruisers as heavy cruisers. Just because... they look cool. I'll either make them work or just enjoy painting them. I don't play big enough games that I'm terribly likely to use them, anyway.

Assault Cruisers

Guys-   I am currently running a vanilla Veydreth list and I am finding some really great uses for all of the ship types except Assault cruisers.   I consider myself a decent admiral;  using planet sling shots for movement,  using clouds and the other various scenery to protect the ships,  and eyeing maximum opportunities based on firing angles.   I have tried placing these ships on the board at the beginning of the game and skirting scenery as well as shunting them in later in the game.  

These ships just die.   Its almost to the point that these ships are just conveniently in a secondary arc and die by convenience instead of prioritization.   How do you guys use these ships?  Run, gun, assault, and shunt?

happy to hear any comments..

thanks  

I can totally understand your point with Assault cruisers.  Out of the 6 games I have played with my Veydreth fleet, the Assault cruisers only really were a threat twice.  

The first time I set them up in ambush right in front of a target, and the second time I shunted them into assault range.    The cruisers did well when they didn't have to weather any fire at all.  I am debating if I should just remove the second assault upgrade because they never seem to last long enough to get the second assault off.

Most of my opponents actually prioritize destroying them first, 10" inch move, 18 AP, second assault and lunch tubes seems scary.  

You take these guys for the 18 dice boarding attack, and for their mines. Both require being at point-blank range, so put them in reserve. Target selection is crucial for them; they should try to capture isolated medium ships. Destroyers are a prime target.

Also, because these ships are squishy, do not expect them to survive the engagement. Thus, they should try to FSD escape ASAP. Keep in mind you can launch an assault and drop a Mine the turn you gain your first FSD marker.

Cant say I have had much luck with them either. 

Do however remember that they are excellent in several scenarios where being able to ambush straight into objectives is awesome. Or being able to pretty much guarantee a reserve divebomb assault on a ghost station. 

I am in a campaign thats about to start and I have a list with them in it for exactly these reasons.  

Well, 18 HP for 255 points with the largest amount of forward firepower the Veydreth can bring . . . No, I can't think of any reason to bring them.

Seriously though, they may not have 18 AP like the assault cruisers, but they have 6 HP a piece. And they still have 4 AP each. And 5 PD, with an option to take Bigger Batteries. Since Veydreth lack any SRS whatsoever, a Bigger Batteries Carnivore squadron can provide three 8" bubbles of SRS deterrence along with 18 HP of CR 8 targets with a focus on forward firepower instead of broadsides like the rest of the fleet. They can provide a distraction for other squadrons like the destroyers or gunships or assault cruisers. On the flip side, if they get ignored because they don't have 18 AP, or lay 14 AD mines, or fire 18 AD of beams, they can get in close and unleash a potent spread of four 14 AD attacks (barring damage) along with a 12 AP assault.

If you still don't think they're worth the points to field them, that's fine. Veydreth can still do plenty of cool things without them. But I am glad the Veydreth player in my group doesn't have these.

Your points are ok, I had thought of them already, the problem is that they aren't good at any of the things we've thought of. They have the best forward firepower in veydreth, but this still sucks compared to the price you pay and other squadrons you could take. They have good broadsides, but not enough speed to get into the fight quickly without reserve or TACS which you want to use elsewhere. They have decent defense compared to other veydreth, but still poor for their price and worse than other options. Their main claim to fame is 6hp which is good but results in rapidly degraded firepower and then increases battle log.

Id be interested to know if anyone has used them on the table and gotten results.  

The Heavy Cruisers have the same role as the Battleship; give your opponent something to shoot at instead of worrying about all those Hidden Set-Up Markers.  If you can't figure out how to best use them together, try placing them next to each other during deployment, to deliver a 1-2 punch.

So my local group is running a mini campaign. We each have two lists and once scenario is chosen and we have seen each others list pairs we choose which of those lists we use for that game.

I had one brute force list and one scenario list, working on the assumption that the brute force one would be used more often as most of my friends also go for damage heavy fleets. however I have ended up using the scenario fleet more often and to devastating effect. Almost to the point where im not sure if im using the scenarios correctly.

Predator: 195 +high energy +2MV
Onslaught squadron (3) 240 + high energy
Savage squadron (3): 255 + Ambush +high energy
Stalker squadron (3): 240 + Ambush + Second assault
Reaper Squadron (5): 125 +3 MN
Reaper Squadron (5): 125 +3 MN

General concept is that the predator starts on the line, onslaughts and reapers reserve and the savages and stalkers ambush. 

So far I have played recover resources where the ambush units started in the more distant debris fields and thus get way more rolls to discover stuff. Result win due to +15 battle log from scenario.
Then I played ambush where my ambushers got within one move of the end zone (opponent was smart enough to cover the zone with his units so I couldnt start within it.) However he triggered one of my units one turn one so It got to move turn two into the zone along with a reserve unit. Result +4BL turn two and +6 on turn three which won the game handily even though I maxed out battlelog and only got a fraction of the BL from his ships.

So TLDR. What are other veydreth players experiences with the different scenarios? Did we read the rules of those scenarios correctly?

I'm guessing you're simply using the Ambush MAR and Reserves effectively with the Veydreth, and showing everyone the way Veydreth win: avoiding slug-fests and playing the Scenario. You're starting with only the Battleship on the board, right?

Just want to add that you can only reveal one hidden setup marker per reserve phase, and squadrons revealed (voluntarily or otherwise) are revealed at full stop. If you're already doing this, great, if not, it will probably skew your results back to less amazing.

Yeah thats how we were playing it, all above board. The trick in this case was to make sure that my opponent had difficulty moving forward without giving me several triggers to jump out of ambush. From memory he triggered my stalkers halfway through the first turn on their second roll. The destroyers were revealed at the beginning of the second turn. On the second turn the stalkers had their engines on and moved into the zone to say hi to my onslaughts which flank moved in there. Its pretty nasty in this scenario.

Has anyone else sat down and done a comparison between the Veydreth and Terquai assault cruisers? Terquai I found to be slightly better in virtually every field, making them way better. I'd like to see a rebalance between the two with the upcoming new rules updates.

I'm very new to Veydreth and am having trouble with the assault cruisers.

Yes - the terquai are better in just about every respect. 
The only exception here is ambush which can be helpful in some scenarios. 
Having said that Id still play with terquai ones if I owned them.